On strength of LTE version, Apple Watch predicted to hit 15M sales in 2017, 20M in 2018

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Reports from the supply chain suggest that the Apple Watch will see 15 million sales, but a suspected launch of an LTE model in the fall will push that number to 20 million in 2018.

Citing details from the supply chain, DigiTimes claims that Apple will sell 4.5 million units in the fourth quarter to hit 15 million. The same sources claim that this number will grow to 2018, in a market where other vendors are seeing weakening demand.

The report notes that Asustek has already decided to exit the market, and Intel has cut back resources on the segment. Samsung, LG, Huawei and Motorola are reportedly seeing weak sales, with Xiaomi and Fitbit seeing declining sales, despite new models at retail now, or soon.

The primary supplier for the Apple Watch is expected to remain Quanta, with Compal possibly being tapped for manufacturing duties in 2018. Foxconn remains mostly uninvolved with construction, with a subsidiary providing minor components.

DigiTimes does generally provide accurate information from within Apple's supply chain. However, the publication has an unreliable track record in predicting Apple's future product plans. often predicting both timing and features incorrectly for upcoming products.

Friday's report is generally in line with a previous one made by KGI analysts Ming Chi Kuo. Kuo predicts shipments of the new Apple Watch models will reach 8 to 9 million units in the second half of 2017.

Apple's predicted LTE version of the Apple Watch is expected to account for 35 to 40 percent of sales. Fiscal year 2017 sales are expected to fall between 17.5 and 18 million units, up 70 percent year over year.

Apple does not announce specific quantities of Apple Watches sold in a quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Nope. I don't see LTE version of the watch is a hit. Apple has hard time to improve battery life of the the current AW. With LTE, how long will it last, 6 hours? I'd rather have the current version with a week battery instead.
    albegarcbrucemc
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Lets just say it will probably be at least if not a bit more popular than the prior version.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jdgaz said:
    Lets just say it will probably be at least if not a bit more popular than the prior version.
    How can it not be? It potentially opens the market for Apple Watches up for more than just iPhone owners. I'll be curious to see what kind of Android and Tizen apps allow synchronizing data with those platforms once the watch is no longer solely dependent on the Apple Watch. There's a billion iPhone owners, and about 30 million Apple Watches based on this article. The market based on the current features seems somewhat saturated, so this will only boost sales.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 4 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    fallenjt said:
    Nope. I don't see LTE version of the watch is a hit. Apple has hard time to improve battery life of the the current AW. With LTE, how long will it last, 6 hours? I'd rather have the current version with a week battery instead.
    Get a Pebble if you are thinking there will be a phone with 1 week duration on a charge.
    stanhope
  • Reply 5 of 11
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I remember when so many were saying there's "no way" that Apple Watch will be successful. It's very entertaining the watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    k2kw said:
    fallenjt said:
    Get a Pebble if you are thinking there will be a phone with 1 week duration on a charge.
    He'll have to take it off Pebbles Flinstone's wrist.  Judy Jetson is already eyeing the LTE Apple watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    fallenjt said:
    I agree. Apple has all these brainiacs and they can not find a way to improve the battery life. 18 hours is really a joke. I have a Garmin vivoactive HR and that watch's battery life is 5 days. After 2 or 3 years Apple still has not figured a way to improve the battery life. Ever think about a solar version Apple? 15 million in sales is purely a guess. This watch is not worth the money.  
  • Reply 8 of 11
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I can understand why athletes, especially runners, might truly benefit from an LTE version of Apple Watch, but  I'm wondering what the advantage is for everyone else. I don't go anywhere without my iPhone, and will continue to take it with me everywhere I go regardless of whether I purchase the LTE or non LTE version this fall;  and I'm betting most people will do the same.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 9 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    When are we going to make stock speculation punishable by death? Honestly.

Step 1. Buy stock
    Step 2. Invent rumor (or have actual inside info, but it’s easier to invent)
    Step 3. Wait for stock price to rise
    Step 4. Ignore fellow analysts’ articles about how production problems will constrain the supply of the thing you invented out of thin air; they’re just sore they didn’t buy before you invented the rumor
    Step 5. Sell right before the keynote
    Step 6. Watch stock collapse when invented rumor doesn’t show up at the keynote
    Step 7. Profit!

Step 8. Wait for fellow analysts to write articles about invented rumors so that YOU can write about how production problems will constrain the supply of the thing THEY invented out of thin air…

On a slightly more serious note, I do figure that the rumor of a standalone Apple Watch is legitimate.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 10 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mac_128 said:
    jdgaz said:
    How can it not be? It potentially opens the market for Apple Watches up for more than just iPhone owners. I'll be curious to see what kind of Android and Tizen apps allow synchronizing data with those platforms once the watch is no longer solely dependent on the Apple Watch. There's a billion iPhone owners, and about 30 million Apple Watches based on this article. The market based on the current features seems somewhat saturated, so this will only boost sales.
    No, the Apple Watch relies on the iPhone for a lot more than simply LTE access.   For instance, all updates come through the iPhone and even most settings are controlled by the iPhone.   I don't see them cutting that cord anytime soon.   The Apple Watch has neither the screen size nor the CPU power of the iPhone.