Steve Jobs Theater given closeup in latest Apple Park drone footage

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I’m also disappointed at the high amount of compression in the last few videos. These have been shot at 4K, and the early videos were all sharp and clear. I wonder why the last few have been of such low quality.

and the myth of Apple buying so many trees that there is a local shortage, is just that. Apple already stated that it isn’t true. This was planned years in advance, and so has been their greenery purchasing.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    macxpress said:

tyler82 said:
    The open layout of the office building would drive me nuts as an introvert. Give me my ow office, or even a cubicle, and I'm happy. 
    You seriously would want to sit in a cubical all day? Seriously!!!
    Apparently a number of software engineers have already expressed their dislike of the open space. Noise and distractions were their main complaints. And yes, a lot of people who need to concentrate do prefer small offices in which to work.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    melgross said:
    macxpress said:

tyler82 said:
    The open layout of the office building would drive me nuts as an introvert. Give me my ow office, or even a cubicle, and I'm happy. 
    Apparently a number of software engineers have already expressed their dislike of the open space. Noise and distractions were their main complaints. And yes, a lot of people who need to concentrate do prefer small offices in which to work.
    I can't see where cubicles provide anymore quietness. All they really do is divide someone's desk from someone else's. 

Let the whiny engineers quit then...There are plenty of good people waiting to work for Apple. They can leave Apple and go to some startup and fail like everyone else that left Apple. I think they're just trying to imagine what it would be like without experiencing it first. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 24 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    melgross said:
    macxpress said:

tyler82 said:
    I can't see where cubicles provide anymore quietness. All they really do is divide someone's desk from someone else's. 

Let the whiny engineers quit then...There are plenty of good people waiting to work for Apple. They can leave Apple and go to some startup and fail like everyone else that left Apple. I think they're just trying to imagine what it would be like without experiencing it first. 
    I think your reaction is shortsighted and emotional. It behooves Apple to create the most efficient work environment, which includes the ability to focus and not be bombarded with distractions that detract from these efforts. That's not to say that Apple Park will have these issues and I think it's an easy solve provifding you don't care that everything is open from the inside ring window to the outside ring window.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Wonder why the patio area is black/dark?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    macxpress said:
    melgross said:
    macxpress said:

tyler82 said:

They actually do, but small offices are even better. And distractions can be visual as well. People constantly walking by are a distraction. When people walk by they sometimes stop for a quick chat, etc. it can be very annoying.

its not really up to you to call people whiny when you know nothing about them, simply because you aren’t happy that they aren’t 100% pleased at this. Maybe if you had a high level software job at a major company, you would feel the same way.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 27 of 31
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    macxpress said:

tyler82 said:
    Well, I wouldn't want to sit in one all day.  I'd much rather sit in a private office with a door.

But if you give me a choice of a cube or a desk in an open space?  Give me the cube.  At least it's some semblance of something private and somewhat quieter than being in the middle of one of those horrible open plan offices.

• Reply 28 of 31
    The concepts of the open plan offices was to make everyone feel equal. No corner offices, not different size offices, etc. cubicals came out later, when it was found that true open plan offices didn’t work that well because even with secretaries, pounding on typewriters all day long, it became very noisy. Programmers are doing work that requires quiet, or at least as much as they can get. It’s like writing, it’s hard to do that with noise and other distractions, particularly since job ratings depend on a certain number of lines of debugged code each day.

i know that some people see this as something that Jobs wanted, and so anything that sullies what they think of as his “legacy” is bad, and mustn’t be done, but that’s nonsense.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    It's probably just best to see how it works out in the end. I get the sense that we don't know the full story surrounding this. I have a hard time believing that Apple and the design firm just did this knowing that open spaces may make for a worse environment than they have now. 

No matter what Apple does with Apple Park, there are going to be a few employees that aren't happy for one reason or another. How many are really complaining? Is it 5? 10? 1000? Or, is it just 5 or 10 that are being really vocal about this, making it sound like a much larger issue than it really is? There are some that just don't like change and just sit there and imagine how bad its going to be which doesn't help anything, or anyone around them if they spread their negative attitude. They should be going in there with an open mind and give whatever work environment they're present with a true chance, rather than a negative attitude which presents a negative work environment. Those are the people I was talking about...if they don't like it, then there are other companies they can work for. It's impossible to make every single person 100% happy, even if you strive to do this as much as you can. 
  • Reply 30 of 31
    macxpress said:
    It's probably just best to see how it works out in the end. I get the sense that we don't know the full story surrounding this. I have a hard time believing that Apple and the design firm just did this knowing that open spaces may make for a worse environment than they have now. 

No matter what Apple does with Apple Park, there are going to be a few employees that aren't happy for one reason or another. How many are really complaining? Is it 5? 10? 1000? Or, is it just 5 or 10 that are being really vocal about this, making it sound like a much larger issue than it really is? There are some that just don't like change and just sit there and imagine how bad its going to be which doesn't help anything, or anyone around them if they spread their negative attitude. They should be going in there with an open mind and give whatever work environment they're present with a true chance, rather than a negative attitude which presents a negative work environment. Those are the people I was talking about...if they don't like it, then there are other companies they can work for. It's impossible to make every single person 100% happy, even if you strive to do this as much as you can. 
    Companies have been moving away from open Office spaces, not toward them. It became popular during a political period when it was thought that taking people out of offices and making them “equal” in these open spaces would end the constant maneuvering over whose space was better, but it mostly resulted in less work being done, and often, lower quality work. That’s when cubicals began to arrive, and they became a compromise that worked better.

just because the design team at apple decided that this was the way to go doesn’t make it the best way. It’s interesting that Ive’s team will have their own, closed, space again.
    edited August 2017 tallest skil