Android O, Google's response to Apple's iOS 11, will be revealed next Monday amid solar ec...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    alandail said:
    Why are they making an announcement when everyone will be outside away from their TVs and Computers?
    Because Google hasn't a clue about proper marketing. Google and their own products are like the mechanic's car.  :/
    peterhartMuntz
  • Reply 22 of 67
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    alandail said:
    Why are they making an announcement when everyone will be outside away from their TVs and Computers?
    Because Google hasn't a clue about proper marketing. Google and their own products are like the mechanic's car.  :/
    I see Apple as making high end confections, and Alphabet just selling ingredients to others who think they're world class bakers from staring wide-eyed at Apple's results when all they're really doing is just eating uncooked cookie dough. :wink: 
    Muntzboltsfan17pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Google has perfect timing.  Their intended customers will be outside witnessing a cosmic event.
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Soli said:
    Android O will really compete with iOS 12 cuz that’s how long it will take to be on any significant number of devices. 
    I'd say that's very generous bone to throw Android. After 6 months iOS 10 had about 80% of the user base on board. I've never seen anything like that from Android. Right now, their biggest share is 32% for Android 6.0 Marshmallow (API 23).
    There's no way Android will ever come close to getting their latest OS on a majority of devices if they update Android OS every year. The more cheap Android devices being sold by marginal companies and carriers, the harder it will be to keep them updated. Guess what? Nobody cares. The only thing that matters to anyone is how Android is crushing Apple's iOS in market share. That's all Wall Street, tech critics and the mobile industry will ever be concerned about. Android fragmentation means nothing and market share percentage means everything. All we'll ever hear about is iOS losing market share percentage to Android. Do you know that in India, Android has about 98% mobile market share? Those Android smartphones are probably running Android OSes well out of date but no one is complaining. All those consumers want are cheap devices and they don't even know what's current. Android has nearly all the mind-share and Google is happy to boast about it. As long as all those hundreds of millions of cheap smartphones can run Google Services and harvest user data, Google will have it made.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 67
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    sog35 said:
    Google is so PATHETIC.

I wish they would stop pretending to be cool and just be who the are:

A company that collects mountains of data to sell to the highest BIDDER.

I would respect them more if they just owned it.

PATHETIC, piece of shit company.

Ads are the bane of society.
    I don't own Android or plan to, but I use google every day and it's a well know fact it's the best search engine in the world. I wonder what search engine you use? I also like YouTube, I make videos and build and monetize small websites through Google AdWords. Most importantly Google helped me to be free and do what I want. So yeah not a bad company!
    Soliavon b7singularitySpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 67
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Comparing OS versions between iOS and Android is a bit misleading anyway. With iOS new features are delivered only via an OS update. With Android many of the very latest features are available to nearly every user.  Android owners aren't as dependent on the latest OS version as iOS users might assume.
    http://www.computerworld.com/article/3216104/android/android-upgrade.html
    The foundation counts. You can't Bolt the spoiler of a Ford GT supercar onto a Ford Pinto and then claim the Pinto is just as good as the GT.
    Of course it matters just as I said. But if you are looking forward to some announced new Apple Maps feature there's only one way to get it. Same if you want an updated Calendar app. Or any other update of an Apple feature. With Google you can update to the very latest Google app features whenever Google offers them rather than waiting for your annual iOS update. Don't want to update some specific feature? No problem if you are on Android.  

Here's what I suspect will be a surprising list of the Android enhancements that have been made available in just the past four months, totally independent of any OS update and available to almost any Google Android user regardless of OS version.

Contacts8/14/17
    Photos8/14/17
    Allo8/14/17
    Duo8/14/17
    Google8/11/17
    Calendar8/10/17
    Gmail8/10/17
    Google Play Services8/10/17
    Translate8/10/17
    Docs8/9/17
    Android Pay8/9/17
    Phone (limited to Google's own devices)8/9/17
    Maps8/9/17
    Trusted Contacts8/9/17
    Chrome8/8/17
    Android System Webview8/8/17
    Sheets8/7/17
    Slides8/7/17
    Keep8/7/17
    Clock8/7/17
    News & Weather8/4/17
    Street View8/3/17
    Android Messages8/2/17
    Play Books8/2/17
    Play Movies8/1/17
    Drive7/31/17
    Gboard7/28/17
    Play Games7/28/17
    Trips7/28/17
    Android Device Policy7/26/17
    Cloud Search7/25/17
    Play Music7/7/17
    Cloud Print7/5/17
    TalkBack6/21/17
    Calculator6/14/17
    Play Newsstand6/13/17
    Pixel Launcher (limited to Google's own devices)6/6/17
    Find My Device5/17/17
    Wallpapers5/2/17
    Text-to-speech4/10/17

It's two different ways of trying to accomplish the same goals and both have advantages. 
    You a completely in accurate. Apple releases updates to products including security updates all year long. Some additional features come as well without major updates. In fact the maps app and Siri have gained a tremendous amount of functionality over the last year in the current version. The difference is Both companies do major updates once a year. For us Apple pretty much makes it like the gift of a new phone for free without having to buy a new phone. They create whole new platforms and APIs for developers to be able to make better apps and actually make money from them. On the other hand when Google makes them it's only for the most recent devices not the ones that are 4 years old. 

Rayz2016radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 67
    genovelle said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Comparing OS versions between iOS and Android is a bit misleading anyway. With iOS new features are delivered only via an OS update. With Android many of the very latest features are available to nearly every user.  Android owners aren't as dependent on the latest OS version as iOS users might assume.
    The foundation counts. You can't Bolt the spoiler of a Ford GT supercar onto a Ford Pinto and then claim the Pinto is just as good as the GT.
    Of course it matters just as I said. But if you are looking forward to some announced new Apple Maps feature there's only one way to get it. Same if you want an updated Calendar app. Or any other update of an Apple feature. With Google you can update to the very latest Google app features whenever Google offers them rather than waiting for your annual iOS update. Don't want to update some specific feature? No problem if you are on Android.  

Here's what I suspect will be a surprising list of the Android enhancements that have been made available in just the past four months, totally independent of any OS update and available to almost any Google Android user regardless of OS version.

Contacts8/14/17
    Photos8/14/17
    Allo8/14/17
    Duo8/14/17
    Google8/11/17
    Calendar8/10/17
    Gmail8/10/17
    Translate8/10/17
    Docs8/9/17
    Android Pay8/9/17
    Maps8/9/17
    Trusted Contacts8/9/17
    Chrome8/8/17
    Sheets8/7/17
    Slides8/7/17
    Keep8/7/17
    Clock8/7/17
    News & Weather8/4/17
    Street View8/3/17
    Android Messages8/2/17
    Play Books8/2/17
    Play Movies8/1/17
    Drive7/31/17
    Gboard7/28/17
    Play Games7/28/17
    Trips7/28/17
    Cloud Search7/25/17
    Play Music7/7/17
    Cloud Print7/5/17
    TalkBack6/21/17
    Calculator6/14/17
    Play Newsstand6/13/17
    Find My Device5/17/17
    Wallpapers5/2/17
    Text-to-speech4/10/17

It's two different ways of trying to accomplish the same goals and both have advantages. 
    You a completely in accurate. Apple releases updates to products including security updates all year long. Some additional features come as well without major updates. In fact the maps app and Siri have gained a tremendous amount of functionality over the last year in the current version. The difference is Both companies do major updates once a year. For us Apple pretty much makes it like the gift of a new phone for free without having to buy a new phone. They create whole new platforms and APIs for developers to be able to make better apps and actually make money from them. On the other hand when Google makes them it's only for the most recent devices not the ones that are 4 years old. 

The list you linked above would dispute that. None of those updates were dependent on an OS update, nor even a recent version.

I'm not at all claiming that OS updates don';t matter. They do, and very much so. The point I made, and that you might be missing, is that Android is less reliant on OS updates to deliver new and desirable features to it's users than iOS is. That's why simply comparing what percentage of users are on the most recent version doesn't tell the whole story. Just because an Android user doesn't get the most recent OS version does not mean he also is denied the most recent feature upgrades.  IMO very VERY few AI members are aware of that. 

edited August 2017
  • Reply 28 of 67
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Pretty rich of Google to announce things to interrupt people from seeing the eclipse happen. Like their OS holds a candle to this natural phenomenon or something.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 67
    gatorguy said:

gatorguy said:

Is that a good excuse for OEM's to be so horribly bad at rolling out OS and security updates when Google sends them out? Not at all. It's stupid and lazy and not at all buyer friendly. But Android owners aren't actually missing out on as much as an iOS user who can't  or won't take advantage of an OS update for whatever reason. 
    First of all, those Google apps are individual app updates. They are not considered essential parts of the operating system, which is why they are on Google Play. If they were essential to the operating system, then there's a contradiction. i.e. how would you download an essential part of the system when it can't even boot up in the first place? Secondly, even if we don't agree on what constitutes an operating system, some apps DO require a minimum OS version e.g. Google Allo requires Android 4.1 and above. I couldn't be bothered to check the other apps.
    tmaybadmonkwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 30 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:

Contacts8/14/17
    Photos8/14/17
    Allo8/14/17
    Duo8/14/17
    Google8/11/17
    Calendar8/10/17
    Gmail8/10/17
    Translate8/10/17
    Docs8/9/17
    Android Pay8/9/17
    Maps8/9/17
    Trusted Contacts8/9/17
    Chrome8/8/17
    Sheets8/7/17
    Slides8/7/17
    Keep8/7/17
    Clock8/7/17
    News & Weather8/4/17
    Street View8/3/17
    Android Messages8/2/17
    Play Books8/2/17
    Play Movies8/1/17
    Drive7/31/17
    Gboard7/28/17
    Play Games7/28/17
    Trips7/28/17
    Cloud Search7/25/17
    Play Music7/7/17
    Cloud Print7/5/17
    TalkBack6/21/17
    Calculator6/14/17
    Play Newsstand6/13/17
    Find My Device5/17/17
    Wallpapers5/2/17
    Text-to-speech4/10/17

Wow, just wow.  For someone who doesn't have a Mac or an iPhone according to your own words you sure seem very agitated and insistent upon contributing endlessly to this Apple user blog on all matters where you can say Android and Google are wonderful.  Why?  Why for heaven's sake don't you spend your time on a blog of your own platform of choice?  This would be like me spending all day, week in week out, on an Android site to defend and promote Apple. Now, if Apple paid me ...
    pscooter63uniscapebadmonkStrangeDayswatto_cobraRayz2016ericthehalfbeeSpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 67
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    "The biggest changes are coming to the iPad, which will offer a Mac-like dock, more advanced multitasking, and drag-and-drop commands."

Oh, I think the next year will show that the biggest change is ARKit.  It will be a profound differentiator, such that 2018 might even be labeled The Year of Augmented Reality.  As to Gatorguy's assertion that Android allows updates between the annual OS refresh, that's akin to saying new apps come out all the time.  Yeh, no kidding, and also not news to anyone.  Apps also get refreshed with new features, but not with new features that the installed OS doesn't support, by definition.  When will Android get its own ARKit, to use that as an example, and how will a person whose phone currently runs Android 4, 5 or 6 get apps that require it?  That's the question here, not whether apps can be enhanced between major OS revisions.  
    tmaymacky the mackyStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Muntz said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:

Contacts8/14/17
    Photos8/14/17
    Allo8/14/17
    Duo8/14/17
    Google8/11/17
    Calendar8/10/17
    Gmail8/10/17
    Translate8/10/17
    Docs8/9/17
    Android Pay8/9/17
    Maps8/9/17
    Trusted Contacts8/9/17
    Chrome8/8/17
    Sheets8/7/17
    Slides8/7/17
    Keep8/7/17
    Clock8/7/17
    News & Weather8/4/17
    Street View8/3/17
    Android Messages8/2/17
    Play Books8/2/17
    Play Movies8/1/17
    Drive7/31/17
    Gboard7/28/17
    Play Games7/28/17
    Trips7/28/17
    Cloud Search7/25/17
    Play Music7/7/17
    Cloud Print7/5/17
    TalkBack6/21/17
    Calculator6/14/17
    Play Newsstand6/13/17
    Find My Device5/17/17
    Wallpapers5/2/17
    Text-to-speech4/10/17

You’re so full of shit. Are you an editor on this site that just shit posts to drum up controversial conversations that drive arguments to bolster ad clicks?
    Actually, unless the operating system itself supports these features half of those won't work on older android versions.

For example, talk back will still be crapp on android 4.4, but not in 7.0.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 67
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:

Contacts8/14/17
    Photos8/14/17
    Allo8/14/17
    Duo8/14/17
    Google8/11/17
    Calendar8/10/17
    Gmail8/10/17
    Translate8/10/17
    Docs8/9/17
    Android Pay8/9/17
    Maps8/9/17
    Trusted Contacts8/9/17
    Chrome8/8/17
    Sheets8/7/17
    Slides8/7/17
    Keep8/7/17
    Clock8/7/17
    News & Weather8/4/17
    Street View8/3/17
    Android Messages8/2/17
    Play Books8/2/17
    Play Movies8/1/17
    Drive7/31/17
    Gboard7/28/17
    Play Games7/28/17
    Trips7/28/17
    Cloud Search7/25/17
    Play Music7/7/17
    Cloud Print7/5/17
    TalkBack6/21/17
    Calculator6/14/17
    Play Newsstand6/13/17
    Find My Device5/17/17
    Wallpapers5/2/17
    Text-to-speech4/10/17

Wow, just wow.  For someone who doesn't have a Mac or an iPhone according to your own words you sure seem very agitated and insistent upon contributing endlessly to this Apple user blog on all matters where you can say Android and Google are wonderful.  Why?  Why for heaven's sake don't you spend your time on a blog of your own platform of choice?  This would be like me spending all day, week in week out, on an Android site to defend and promote Apple. Now, if Apple paid me ...
    Trolling an Apple enthusiast site and promoting a lousy platform that essentially amounts to spyware seems to be the reason for Googleguy's, er. . .Gatorguy's existence. He may be a paid by Google, but it doesn't matter, it's not like anyone cannot see that he acts like a paid shill. 

The thing is that once ARKit really gets going, the fragmentation on the Android platform is going to be a major issue. Not that Samsung is going to care because their AR efforts are based on the Oculus platform. All of a sudden, Wall Street will wake up to the fact that the emperor, in this case Google, has no clothes. Marketshare will be meaningless, especially when the majority of users on the so-called dominant platform can't take advantage of meaningful advances. 

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 67
    When will Android get its own ARKit, to use that as an example, and how will a person whose phone currently runs Android 4, 5 or 6 get apps that require it?    
    Google actually have something in AR field https://get.google.com/tango/ , as I understand, you need special phone/hardware to use it.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 35 of 67
    "The biggest changes are coming to the iPad, which will offer a Mac-like dock, more advanced multitasking, and drag-and-drop commands."

Oh, I think the next year will show that the biggest change is ARKit.  It will be a profound differentiator, such that 2018 might even be labeled The Year of Augmented Reality.  As to Gatorguy's assertion that Android allows updates between the annual OS refresh, that's akin to saying new apps come out all the time.  Yeh, no kidding, and also not news to anyone.  Apps also get refreshed with new features, but not with new features that the installed OS doesn't support, by definition.  When will Android get its own ARKit, to use that as an example, and how will a person whose phone currently runs Android 4, 5 or 6 get apps that require it?  That's the question here, not whether apps can be enhanced between major OS revisions.  
    Of course it's news... to most other members here. Simply because Android Annie can't get the latest OS doesn't mean that Android Annie can't get the many of the best new features that the latest Android devices with the latest OS offer. 

Contacts on Android are no more and no less "essential to the OS" than they are on iOS. Same with their respective App Stores. And Mail services. And browser. And messaging. Apple chooses to update all those services via a operating system updates. Google instead, realizing the horrendous support many Android buyers get from their OEM, split out those "essential services" from the OS update as Apple would do and offers them as individual application updates so that most every Android user can still have the latest features as they become available. If Google handled feature rollouts like Apple does only those who could get the latest OS could enjoy them.

And just as I said in my very first post in this thread it's not as good as getting a complete OS update so you are OK: Apple's way is better for most folks. But I would wager nearly no one responding in this thread had a clue that the majority of those services you consider "essential" to your iOS use can be updated on Android whether the user has the latest OS or not. Android users don't miss out on as much of the platform's improvements if they don't get an operating system update as an Apple user who doesn't. Yes there are security fixes that OEM's are ignorantly lax on delivering to their device buyers, and that's yet another problem Google has to deal with. Fortunately Android is not quite as insecure as many here would like think it to be and all these scare stories of billions of malware-infested users have been just that, stories. Of course there might come that "someday" and so security updates are an absolutely MUST for Google to get a handle on. FWIW there is is project underway that might allow Google to bypass the OEM's altogether but it's not yet ready for primetime so no idea if it will be that needed fix or not. 

Anyway Apple and Google have different ways of trying to get to the same consumer-forward result in their respective OS'es. One was designed better from the get-go while the other company found after the fact they needed to be more creative in crafting a fix for an early mistake that they should have seen coming but if they did they ignored it.   

Comparing OS version percentages on the two platforms doesn't tell the same stories. Far too many here thought if an Android user didn't get the latest OS they didn't get any of the services updates either since that's the way Apple does it. 

For those that jumped in with nothing to add but trolling;
    Wow... just wow for those that still can't understand it. If you really don't want to know anything that might interfere with your view-from-a-cocoon I suggest to avoid reading any article here with "Google" in the title and just to be on the safe side repeating "Nah, nah, nah, nah" over and over while keeping a finger firmly planted in each ear.
    edited August 2017 singularitymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 67
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    uniscape said:
    When will Android get its own ARKit, to use that as an example, and how will a person whose phone currently runs Android 4, 5 or 6 get apps that require it?    
    Google actually have something in AR field https://get.google.com/tango/ , as I understand, you need special phone/hardware to use it.
    Yes and apparently only two phones on the market only support Tango. I suspect this new version of Android Google is releasing will change that, but only time will tell.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    lmac said:
    Android Zero! Sounds about right.
    It's actually an O not a 0. Google is acknowledging they're in a high-stakes tic-tac-toe battle with Apple by adopting the O.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gatorguy said:
    So… even more massive fragmentation than anyone could have ever otherwise imagined. Because not only can’t you guarantee they have the newest #.0 release of Android, you can’t guarantee they have any of these supplemental updates, either. How long before Android starts needing installs of the 400 versions of DirectX to get things done?  :p
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 67

I agree, ARKit will be tremendous!

I suspect that there are some other shoes to drop -- iOS apps/capabilities that are dependent on iOS exploiting new hardware included in:

• new [to be announced] iPhones, AppleWatches and AppleTVs
    • new [announced, but yet to be delivered delivered] HomePod
    • latest iPad Pros

Apple could announce these iOS apps/capabilities with the new iPhones, or in a later app release (or iOS upgrade) -- depending on marketing considerations and when the tech is ready.

Done right, it will provide compelling reasons for consumers and enterprise to upgrade to the latest Apple hardware.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 40 of 67
    gatorguy said:
    So… even more massive fragmentation than anyone could have ever otherwise imagined. Because not only can’t you guarantee they have the newest #.0 release of Android, you can’t guarantee they have any of these supplemental updates, either. How long before Android starts needing installs of the 400 versions of DirectX to get things done?  :p
    Good point, TS!

IDK how Android/Google handles matching their app store app installs to the Android version on the devise...

It appears that in iOS 11, the App Store won't [even] allow apps to be downloaded to an iDevice that does not have the requisite iOS version and hardware to run the app.

watto_cobraSpamSandwich