Case manufacturer says Apple likely to ditch Touch ID in 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Apple is really an unpredictable company. They introduce Touch ID with the iPhone line up and incorporate it with Apple Pay. Apple then introduces it with the Macbook Pro line up. Now they are going to eliminate it like the headphone jack was summarily eliminated in iPhone 7. Apple appears to have no apparent vision on what technology they want to use in their products. Why should anybody buy an Apple product? They have no consideration on how these changes will effect their customers. Apple keeps making lame excuses (such as room for the battery and/or waterproofing in the iPhone 7), always raising prices on these products. The customers have to absorb the cost of Apple's tech changes with things like dongles and bluetooth headphones. Apple claims they are future minded. Not so! They just do not have the midas touch anymore. I am really disappointed with Apple lack of innovation. They are just money hungry. This iPhone 8 will probably sell like hotcakes because of the following Apple seems to have.  Apple is the piped piper and the customer are the rats. Sorry, that is how I see it.
    So Apple products suck for consumers, but consumers buy them like crazy. Cool troll trope narrative, bro.

I especially like your BS about having to buy BT headphones despite the 7 coming with Lightning headphones and a free adapter.
    boltsfan17netmagewilliamlondonasdasd
  • Reply 22 of 44

macgui said:
    I will miss TID IF Apple drops it. I don't think they will, but Apple is seemingly capricious at times. I do not like FID (Face ID). And those fearing police search and seizure should be concerned.
    You don’t like a thing that a) hasn’t been announced, and b) hasn’t revealed how it would work. 

Typicla ignorant nonsense, really. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 44

Apple is really an unpredictable company. They introduce Touch ID with the iPhone line up and incorporate it with Apple Pay. Apple then introduces it with the Macbook Pro line up. Now they are going to eliminate it like the headphone jack was summarily eliminated in iPhone 7. Apple appears to have no apparent vision on what technology they want to use in their products. Why should anybody buy an Apple product? They have no consideration on how these changes will effect their customers. Apple keeps making lame excuses (such as room for the battery and/or waterproofing in the iPhone 7), always raising prices on these products. The customers have to absorb the cost of Apple's tech changes with things like dongles and bluetooth headphones. Apple claims they are future minded. Not so! They just do not have the midas touch anymore. I am really disappointed with Apple lack of innovation. They are just money hungry. This iPhone 8 will probably sell like hotcakes because of the following Apple seems to have.  Apple is the piped piper and the customer are the rats. Sorry, that is how I see it.
    How do you know Apple is eliminating Touch ID? The next iPhone hasn't even been released yet. As for the headphone jack being eliminated, Apple did provide a headphone jack adapter so your point is moot. How is making room for the battery a lame excuse? If you are using a larger battery like Apple is doing, you need more sy the pace. Apple raises prices of phones just like all the other manufacturers do. The Samsung Galaxy S8 is more expensive than the S7 for example.
    Yes Apple did provide a headphone jack adapter but you can not charge and play your music at the same time. My point is not moot. And as for the battery being larger, Apple never made the battery larger. The phones were never in the $700 to $800 range until Apple got into the smartphone market. So all the other manufacturers followed Apple's lead. My complaint wasn't just about the price but how Apple just makes changes to their products without concern of the effect it has on the customer's budget. I have an iPhone 6 which is the worst phone I have ever purchased. The screen has a sensitivity issue which Apple has not fixed or even acknowledged. Constantly having reception problems and I am with Verizon. When I call Apple about the iPhone issues all they did was reset the phone which did not fix a thing. So why constantly change the technology of the phone without correcting the current problems of screen sensitivity and reception. Money is the answer.  
    Do you realize how myopic and irrational your claim is? Youre pretendinf that ALL iphones have catastrophic cell radio problems, as evidenced by the fact that you personally are having trouble. Despite the that fact that it is far more likely that the problem is between you and your carrier. 

As as for the 7, it did indeed get a larger battery. And water gaskets. And better cameras and image processor. And not having the legacy port is fine. I know because, unlike you, I actually have the product being discussed. You’re just whining about something you know actually very little about. Typical. 
    boltsfan17macky the mackynetmagewilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    No Touch ID no iPhone 8 for me. I don’t want to unlock my phone with my face.
    Sounds like irrational nonsense based on a lack of data, to me. 

Were you one of those same people panicked about touch id when it was announced? 
    That's the way it always goes. The notion of change is met with derision, then it's finally accepted by the most conservative, and eventually it evolves and they've just gotten use to the old tech they still consider new so it's the same blanket fear and loathing before anything can be tested or analyzed. At least with Apple you might expect them to do their due diligence. I remember they adopted the flatter larger keys for their MBP, people were upset (I think the poly carb MB had it first), and now we're onto the new mechanism and people are complaining. Same for larger trackpad, the actuator for solid state trackpad, Touch Bar, USB-C, and seemingly countless other changes. Yet, if Apple didn't move forward they'd also be upset by that.
    StrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 25 of 44
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    How do you know Apple is eliminating Touch ID? The next iPhone hasn't even been released yet. As for the headphone jack being eliminated, Apple did provide a headphone jack adapter so your point is moot. How is making room for the battery a lame excuse? If you are using a larger battery like Apple is doing, you need more sy the pace. Apple raises prices of phones just like all the other manufacturers do. The Samsung Galaxy S8 is more expensive than the S7 for example.
    Yes Apple did provide a headphone jack adapter but you can not charge and play your music at the same time. My point is not moot. And as for the battery being larger, Apple never made the battery larger. The phones were never in the $700 to $800 range until Apple got into the smartphone market. So all the other manufacturers followed Apple's lead. My complaint wasn't just about the price but how Apple just makes changes to their products without concern of the effect it has on the customer's budget. I have an iPhone 6 which is the worst phone I have ever purchased. The screen has a sensitivity issue which Apple has not fixed or even acknowledged. Constantly having reception problems and I am with Verizon. When I call Apple about the iPhone issues all they did was reset the phone which did not fix a thing. So why constantly change the technology of the phone without correcting the current problems of screen sensitivity and reception. Money is the answer.  
    I can't even think of a situation where you would need to charge your phone while you are listening to music. I just got back from spending a month in Africa and I had no issues with the battery while listening to music on multiple 10 plus hour flights. When Apple entered the market, they revolutionized the smartphone. There was nothing like it when the original iPhone came out. The first iPhone wasn't in the $700-$800 range. Apple did make the battery larger in the 7 Plus. How does removing the headphone jack effect a customers budget? They can still use wired headphones with the included adapter. How do you know your reception issue isn't a Verizon one? I'm just curious since I've never heard of anyone having reception issues on an iPhone 6. Regarding your screen sensitivity issue, you should take your phone to an Apple Store. That type of issue won't be fixed over the phone. 
    macky the mackynetmagewilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 44
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Typical dumbass reading something into a statement, really. There's nothing nonsensical about my post. Really.

williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 44
    macgui said:
    Typical dumbass reading something into a statement, really. There's nothing nonsensical about my post. Really.
    Oh so now you’re going to call people names (“dumbass”) just for stating a fact (that you, like all of us, are ignorant to how Face ID will work)? I didn’t read anything into what you said. Sorry being confronted with the irrational reality of what you said bothers you so much. 
    netmagewilliamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 44
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    cornchip said:
    Soli said:
    How do you know Apple is eliminating Touch ID? The next iPhone hasn't even been released yet. As for the headphone jack being eliminated, Apple did provide a headphone jack adapter so your point is moot. How is making room for the battery a lame excuse? If you are using a larger battery like Apple is doing, you need more space. Apple raises prices of phones just like all the other manufacturers do. The Samsung Galaxy S8 is more expensive than the S7 for example.
    Not only a 3.5mm audio jack adapter, but Lightning headphones, several years of 3rd-party Lightning headphones on the market, many more years of BT-enabled headphones which have dramatically increased their revenue and volume share compared to wired headphones in recent years, along with several pairs of headphones by Apple that use the W1-chip that makes pairing and switching BT headphones ridiculously simple that the move was not a step back for any normal. Sure, if you bought some $1000 Shures headphones you're  probably gong to want to keep them for awhile but that's an atypical situation and an extra 3" on the headphone cord isn't likely to be a dealbreaker.
    You know what kills me the most about the crying about the removing of the headphone jack? 

Im trying to imagine a scenario where you're both charging your phone, and wanting to listen to the music on your phone. 

Where are you most likely to be? In front of your Mac.

If your iPhone is charging just plug your headphones into your Mac and listen to your library through iTunes where most have their entire library stored anyway. Of course that's increasingly irrelevant now that everyone is transitioning to streaming (so it would seem). Or if you don't want to be away from your phone play on Mac speakers! I mean shit! 
    cornchip said:
    Soli said:
    How do you know Apple is eliminating Touch ID? The next iPhone hasn't even been released yet. As for the headphone jack being eliminated, Apple did provide a headphone jack adapter so your point is moot. How is making room for the battery a lame excuse? If you are using a larger battery like Apple is doing, you need more space. Apple raises prices of phones just like all the other manufacturers do. The Samsung Galaxy S8 is more expensive than the S7 for example.
    Not only a 3.5mm audio jack adapter, but Lightning headphones, several years of 3rd-party Lightning headphones on the market, many more years of BT-enabled headphones which have dramatically increased their revenue and volume share compared to wired headphones in recent years, along with several pairs of headphones by Apple that use the W1-chip that makes pairing and switching BT headphones ridiculously simple that the move was not a step back for any normal. Sure, if you bought some $1000 Shures headphones you're  probably gong to want to keep them for awhile but that's an atypical situation and an extra 3" on the headphone cord isn't likely to be a dealbreaker.
    You know what kills me the most about the crying about the removing of the headphone jack? 

Im trying to imagine a scenario where you're both charging your phone, and wanting to listen to the music on your phone. 

Where are you most likely to be? In front of your Mac.

If your iPhone is charging just plug your headphones into your Mac and listen to your library through iTunes where most have their entire library stored anyway. Of course that's increasingly irrelevant now that everyone is transitioning to streaming (so it would seem). Or if you don't want to be away from your phone play on Mac speakers! I mean shit! 
    The most plausible scenario is wanting to charge your iPhone and also plug in an sux cable while your in your car. Especially for those people who don't have CarPlay or Bluetooth capabilities yet 
  • Reply 29 of 44
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    And in that scenario are you to cheap to spend $13 at Amazon for a charge+headphone adapter?
  • Reply 30 of 44
    That new iPhone looks sweet but no touch ID is no go. above $800 no go.

also skeptical about oled white balance. apple must have fixed that somehow as whites are superior on lcd.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I don't think it's correct to say Apple is "eliminating" or "abandoning" Touch ID in the iPhone 8. It just seems Apple wasn't able to incorporate Touch ID under the OLED screen. That's all. They just ran into trouble, and ran out of time. The facial recognition tech was there, so they went with that. I would imagine once Apple works out the kinks, they'll put Touch ID back into the iPhone 8s next year. But if not having Touch ID is a deal breaker for you, you can always get the 7s this year. That will definitely have Touch ID still.
    So Apple is going to remove it only to add it back again? How the hell do they market that?
  • Reply 32 of 44
    No Touch ID no iPhone 8 for me. I don’t want to unlock my phone with my face.
    Sounds like irrational nonsense based on a lack of data, to me. 

Were you one of those same people panicked about touch id when it was announced? 
    Panicked about what? 
  • Reply 33 of 44

macgui said:
    I will miss TID IF Apple drops it. I don't think they will, but Apple is seemingly capricious at times. I do not like FID (Face ID). And those fearing police search and seizure should be concerned.
    You don’t like a thing that a) hasn’t been announced, and b) hasn’t revealed how it would work. 

Not difficult to figure out how it works. It will involve your face one way or another. I prefer to use my thumb, more convenient. But hey the tech world decided bezels are evil so this is where we’re at.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Case manufacturers don't have to design around Touch ID. So they have zero idea about its continued development and implementation. 
    If anything, we just know it's not on the back.
  • Reply 35 of 44

macgui said:

Not difficult to figure out how it works. It will involve your face one way or another. I prefer to use my thumb, more convenient. But hey the tech world decided bezels are evil so this is where we’re at.
    Yes they are evil. Bezelbub!
    boogerman2000tallest skil
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The phones were never in the $700 to $800 range until Apple got into the smartphone market. So all the other manufacturers followed Apple's lead. 
    Right, so what you're saying is that it's Apple's fault that you can't afford a phone from Samsung. There are plenty off affordable phones out there, you just need to set your expectations to match your budget. When Apple got into the market, phones went from being dumb to being smart and usable; do you think the research and tech for this just fell off a Christmas tree?
    williamlondontallest skil
  • Reply 37 of 44
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

macgui said:

I don't think that's fair. It's not the "tech world", it's more the "people who post on tech message boards and news sites world" that decided bezels were bad. If you ask me, they're actually quite useful for some things. Like having somewhere to hold your phone.

Without having used it, I'm not overly excited by face recognition. I haven't seen how it's going to work in the situations I use TouchID for my phone. Particularly Apple Pay. If anyone can sort out the inherent problems with it, it's Apple, but I'm thinking TouchID isn't likely to go away soon.

• Reply 38 of 44

What's flying under the radar here is that Nodus is the iPhone case of choice for Spectre.

tallest skil
  • Reply 39 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    IMHO if Apple is actually dumping TouchID for face recognition security I have no doubt it will work very very well. Rumors have the unlock feature working instantaneously as far as anyone would be able to tell, millionths of a second to recognize your face or reject it. If true that's impressive. 
  • Reply 40 of 44
    bestkeptsecret said:
    What's flying under the radar here is that Nodus is the iPhone case of choice for Spectre.
    And the US government.