Minus Touch ID, Apple's 'iPhone 8' may enter mass production in 'third week of September'

Posted:
in iPhone
The "iPhone 8" may finally enter full-scale production in the "third week of September," an analyst claimed on Monday, reinforcing predictions that the device will be available in limited numbers that month -- but will likely not have Touch ID embedded in the display.

"Our industry research suggests Apple will not include a fingerprint sensor in the upcoming iPhone 8 due to a low yield rate," said Rosenblatt Securities' Jun Zhang in a memo obtained by AppleInsider. "As a result, we believe iPhone 8 OLED mass production could move to the third week of September, a week earlier than previously expected.

The analyst is predicting no more than 5 million "iPhone 8" units in the September quarter, and between 30 to 35 million in the December quarter. Together the "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus" -- which should retain LCDs and fingerprint sensors -- are expected to hit 15 million and 35 million units in those quarters, respectively.

The "iPhone 8" could actually see production ramping up through the March quarter to 40 million units, Zhang said, at the same time as the "7s" series scales down to between 25 and 28 million.

Zhang's timeline is roughly consistent with one claimed by KGI Securties analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo, however, argued that the "iPhone 8" may have just 2 to 4 million units in its launch quarter, which would make it extremely scarce.

Apple is likely planning to replace Touch ID on the device with advanced facial recognition, especially given the absence of any obvious fingerprint sensors in recent leaks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Gold/white, rose gold/white and now copper/white? Wtf Apple? I don't mean the Product RED/white. For once, can you make the copper/black? 3 white vs 1 black is unfair! Damn it.
    tylerr1
  • Reply 2 of 30
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    If they shove the Touch ID to the back of the device I'll just keep my iPhone 6 for another year.

Facial recognition won't work in the dark.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 3 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    saarek said:
    If they shove the Touch ID to the back of the device I'll just keep my iPhone 6 for another year.

Don't be so sure. I believe it probably uses infrared at least in part according to what I've read. 
    edited August 2017 badmonkdoozydozenronnRacerhomieXargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 30
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Plus some ambient light from the screen. I bet the screen senses if it is dark and lights up white for dark facial recognition.
    doozydozenchia
  • Reply 5 of 30
    ronmg said:
    I bet the screen senses if it is dark and lights up white for dark facial recognition.
    Could be, but that'd annoy nearby people in a dark environment (movie, bedroom, etc.)
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 30
    gatorguy said:
    saarek said:

Don't be so sure. I believe it probably uses infrared at least in part according to what I've read. 
    You would need good sensor (way above military grade used in NV devices) to use infrared with detail . Are you ready to pay $2000-$4000 for iPhone? That is how much those sensors cost.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 30
    ronmg said:
    Plus some ambient light from the screen. I bet the screen senses if it is dark and lights up white for dark facial recognition.
    That might work.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    The phones are designed 2-3 years in advance, everything will be fine and on time. Leaks are done on purpose to generate hype. You honestly think a company that spends as much on R&D as Apple would leave things to the last minute, cmon..
    Rayz2016radarthekatargonaut
  • Reply 9 of 30
    gatorguy said:
    saarek said:

You would need good sensor (way above military grade used in NV devices) to use infrared with detail . Are you ready to pay $2000-$4000 for iPhone? That is how much those sensors cost.
    Only a few weeks before we know how they do it. (Betcha they use infrared for face recognition in the dark, but maybe not in the traditional way lighting up the entire scene.  ;) )
    edited August 2017 ronn
  • Reply 10 of 30
    EngDevEngDev Posts: 76member
    saarek said:

Infrared will work in the dark.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 30
    saarek said:

LOL. Yep! You pegged it! Apple fails. They'll replace Touch ID with something that doesn't work as well. You nailed it!

Seriously where do these people come from?
    doozydozenronnwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 30
    The "iPhone 8" may finally enter full-scale production in the "third week of September," an analyst claimed on Monday, 
    Let's stop kidding ourselves. It is already in mass production.
    doozydozenchiaronnwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 30
    tylerr1 said:
    The phones are designed 2-3 years in advance, everything will be fine and on time. Leaks are done on purpose to generate hype. You honestly think a company that spends as much on R&D as Apple would leave things to the last minute, cmon..
    To be fair no matter how much "design in advance" is done it doesn't remove the possibility of a vendor problem no one saw coming, or a use issue that didn't show up in the design and testing phase. There's a British saying, "Many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip". 
    ronnargonaut
  • Reply 14 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    saarek said:

Actually if they are using infrared technology as it has been rumored, it will work in the dark, There are other use cases where it will not work, but in the dark most likely will not be one of them.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Face it, (pun intended) the only way to solve all the use case issue with Touch ID and Face ID is to implement a secret hand shake with the phone.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 16 of 30
    tangeytangey Posts: 31member
    VCSEL (the L stands for Laser) doesn't need ambient light, it uses laser light at a level that can't be seen.

I'd be more concerned as to whether the system is generally as secure as fingerprint reading, which is a very mature technology that the various banks etc are comfortable with and thus allow authenication of transactions etc using touchid.
    edited August 2017 netmagegilly33doozydozenronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    saarek said:

I'm so glad you found something that Apple didn't think of. Clearly, this overpriced iPhone will be the worst one ever. /s
    StrangeDaysronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30

tangey said:
    VCSEL (the L stands for Laser) doesn't need ambient light, it uses laser light at a level that can't be seen.

I'd be more concerned as to whether the system is generally as secure as fingerprint reading, which is a very mature technology that the various banks etc are comfortable with and thus allow authenication of transactions etc using touchid.
    shhhh... it's more fun when they think they know everything Apple is doing wrong. ;)
    doozydozenStrangeDaysronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Baloney. Who wants to make a substantial bet this is completely bogus? Touch ID isn't going away.
    gilly33doozydozenzoetmbwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    All these analysts and their damn predictions. Not sure I'm cool with this device not having a fingerprint sensor imbedded in the screen. Hope all this conjecture is nothing more than just BS. 
    watto_cobra