Apple makes seventh developer betas of High Sierra, iOS 11, tvOS 11, watchOS 4 available [...

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2017
Keeping up with the one per week cycle, apple has updated all of its developer betas, with seventh releases of iOS 11, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, tvOS 11, and watchOS 4. [Updated with public beta info]

macOS 10.13 High Sierra

The macOS High Sierra update, with build number 17A352a, contains a number improvements like Apple File System integration, migration from H.264 to H.265, and Metal 2, alongside other refinements. The previous beta sported build number 17A344b.

Alongside beta 5 of High Sierra, Apple launched a Safari extensions section of the Mac App Store. This most recent beta version adds APFS support to the 2012 Mac Pro tower.

iOS 11

The most notable changes in iOS 11 overall are back-end enhancements and an improved voice for Siri, plus Apple Pay and Photos services enhancements. The Do Not Disturb While Driving feature was introduced during the second beta. The seventh beta of iOS 11 has build number 15A5362a, with the previous holding number 15A5354b.

The "Messages in iCloud" feature was removed in the iOS 11 beta 5 release, and Apple claims that it will ship in a future software update to iOS 11. Users can continue to receive and store messages on each device, and they can continue to backup and restore messages using iCloud Backup.

tvOS 11

Release notes for the fifth tvOS beta remain very short, with very few issues noted or changes specified. The previous tvOS build was numbered 15J5360b, and the current has been incremented to 15J5369a.

WatchOS 4

Apple's watchOS beta 4 has build number 15R5365a. Prior betas delivered the announced "Toy Story" watch faces to testers, and also fixed issues related to haptic feedback, music playback, location-based HomeKit triggers and Siri usability. The previous built was build number 15R5357b.

The previous updates were on August 14, with it only a week after the previous beta.

Update: A public version of the iOS 11 beta is available for people registered in Apple's Beta Software Program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 190member
    New betas of iOS 11, tvOS 11 and watchOS 4 show up for me, but none of my Mac can see the new High Sierra beta. Am I the only one in this case?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Getting close to final, I'd say.
    longpath
  • Reply 3 of 20
    WatchOS 4 Beta 7 out too.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Yep...I'd say so too. I don't really see any significant issues with my installation of macOS High Sierra. I've used bits and pieces of iOS 11 so I can't say for sure how far along it is. 
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Would be nice to see AirPlay 2 and Apple Pay p2p ...
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 20
    jeromec said:
    New betas of iOS 11, tvOS 11 and watchOS 4 show up for me, but none of my Mac can see the new High Sierra beta. Am I the only one in this case?
    You are not the only one.  I think Apple staggers availability to developers to prevent their servers from being overwhelmed.  Usually when this happens to me it shows up by the end of the day.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    exsangus said:
    jeromec said:
    You are not the only one.  I think Apple staggers availability to developers to prevent their servers from being overwhelmed.  Usually when this happens to me it shows up by the end of the day.
    As far as we can tell, it's distributed from a few different servers here and there beyond just the data centers, and deployment is geographical and depends on if your local server has the file.
    longpath
  • Reply 8 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Hopefully HEVC works with Beta 7, but I’m guessing that won’t happen until iTunes gets updated the day of the next event.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Soli said:
    Hopefully HEVC works with Beta 7, but I’m guessing that won’t happen until iTunes gets updated the day of the next event.
    I just used QT Player to convert a short 1080p clip to HVEC.  It went from 64 MB to 4 MB with no discernible quality change and played back in QT Player as well as Quicklook.  Yay! VLC not required.

Update:
    Now I've also  tested 4K video.  Bad news is QT Player and Quicklook report they cannot play the HVEC vesrion 'as it is from an unknown developer and unknown file format!' So back to VLC.

The file size change is equally dramatic on my test 13 second clip: 4K H264 152 MB dropped to 25 MB 4K HVEC

edited August 2017
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I was disappointed that the release of iOS 11 Public Beta 6 only warranted a [u] in this post. I rely on AppleInsider to keep up with releases since iOS can take awhile to display the notification on my Settings icon.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    I just used QT Player to convert a short 1080p clip to HVEC.  It went from 64 MB to 4 MB with no discernible quality change and played back in QT Player as well as Quicklook.  Yay! VLC not required.

Update:
    Now I've also  tested 4K video.  Bad news is QT Player and Quicklook report they cannot play the HVEC vesrion 'as it is from an unknown developer and unknown file format!' So back to VLC.

The file size change is equally dramatic on my test 13 second clip: 4K H264 152 MB dropped to 25 MB 4K HVEC

1) Something seem off about your file size. It's usually about half the size for a comparable quality, but you've reduced the file to just 16%.

2) I still can't get my samples to play back. What did you use to convert to HEVC?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Update:

1) Something seem off about your file size. It's usually about half the size for a comparable quality, but you've reduced the file to just 16%.

2) I still can't get my samples to play back. What did you use to convert to HEVC?
    I use Apple Quicktime Player that is built in to 10.13 to convert.  

The sizes are exactly correct for my samples, I'll add screenshots of info dialogs when I get back to my Mac Pro, I'm on a MBP at the moment.  Even my 4K was way more than 50% but I was amazed at the reduction I got on the 1080p.  It was an action shot of an offshore cigar boat race my company produced a few years ago, lots of movement, so not something I expected to compress a long way.

The option box to convert doesn't appear unless the source file is in a format it likes I discovered.  The 4K footage was straight off the card from a Lumix FZ2500, I'll have to check to see what it was set to as it offers quite a few file types.  The 1080p was output from FCPro.  Anything smaller than 1080p doesn't offer the conversion so far, and many 1080p formats didn't either, it was trial and error on my part.  

Are you saying the latest VLC doesn't play them back for you, what did you use to convert in your tests?  For me VLC is only way i have found for 4K but anything that supported QT played back the 1080p HVEC even Quicklook (space bar).
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 13 of 20
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Update:

The sizes are exactly correct for my samples, I'll add screenshots of info dialogs when I get back to my Mac Pro, I'm on a MBP at the moment.  Even my 4K was way more than 50% but I was amazed at the reduction I got on the 1080p.  It was an action shot of an offshore cigar boat race my company produced a few years ago, lots of movement, so not something I expected to compress a long way.

The option box to convert doesn't appear unless the source file is in a format it likes I discovered.  The 4K footage was straight off the card from a Lumix FZ2500, I'll have to check to see what it was set to as it offers quite a few file types.  The 1080p was output from FCPro.  Anything smaller than 1080p doesn't offer the conversion so far, and many 1080p formats didn't either, it was trial and error on my part.  

Are you saying the latest VLC doesn't play them back for you, what did you use to convert in your tests?  For me VLC is only way i have found for 4K but anything that supported QT played back the 1080p HVEC even Quicklook (space bar).
    1) I'd love to see the Information to see the data of those files. Nothing I've converted with Handbrake to HEVC with the MP4 container plays in QTX or iTunes.

2) I didn't even know that QTX could convert to HEVC.

edit: I'm not seeing an export to HEVC option in QTX with Beta 7. How are you doing it?
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Update:

1) I'd love to see the Information to see the data of those files. Nothing I've converted with Handbrake to HEVC with the MP4 container plays in QTX or iTunes.

Here you go.  I never tried Handbrake.  Note the odd size of the original 1080p is due to the Sony oblong pixel technology, it is 1080p on play back and I see the conversion changed that so if anything should have been larger! Ignore the naming too, some idiot labeled it SD it wasn't obviously from dimensions.  The Lumix was set to AVCHD MP4 LPCM .Mov.  What is your 4K source?

edited August 2017
  • Reply 15 of 20
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Update:

Here you go.  I never tried Handbrake.  Note the odd size of the original 1080p is due to the Sony oblong pixel technology, it is 1080p on play back and I see the conversion changed that so if anything should have been larger! Ignore the naming too, some idiot labeled it SD it wasn't obviously from dimensions.  The Lumix was set to AVCHD MP4 LPCM .Mov.  What is your 4K source?
    I'm not using a 4K source. I'm taking a video using H.264 and converting to H.265 with Handbrake. Where is the conversion option to H.265 in QTX?

Also, it looks like your videos play in VLC Player, not in QTX or iTunes.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Update:

I'm not using a 4K source. I'm taking a video using H.264 and converting to H.265 with Handbrake. Where is the conversion option to H.265 in QTX?

The option is only there if it likes your source file, it is a small check box that simply says HVEC.  My videos that are 1080p play in anything, only 4K required VLC.  I just tried Handbrake and the files play back in VLC however not even at 1080p do they play with QT as you discovered.  The file size was 50% smaller using Handbrake over QT Player!

I am glad you enlightened me about Handbrake!  It works on converting old NTSC 640 x 480 to HVEC and just took a 188 MB file down to 17.6 MB with no quality drop and did it in seconds on a Mac Pro.  That is staggering.  My archives of video are about to get shrunk considerably.  Weirdly, these play back in QT no problem in 10.13.  It will be interesting to see if they do in 10.12 not that that will matter soon.

edited August 2017
  • Reply 17 of 20
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Update:

The option is only there if it likes your source file, it is a small check box that simply says HVEC.  My videos that are 1080p play in anything, only 4K required VLC.  I just tried Handbrake and the files play back in VLC however not even at 1080p do they play with QT as you discovered.  The file size was 50% smaller using Handbrake over QT Player!
    [images]
    If it's only playing back in VLC then HEVC is not possible with QTX or iTunes. As I've previous stated, I don't think that option will come until they launch iTunes with HEVC playback support.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I was able to get the HEVC option during export once I loaded a 4K video sample* into QTX. I wonder if that's how they'll do it for iTunes Store content: change nothing for 1080p or lower, but 2160p gets the AVC/H2.64 or HEVC/H.265 options. Doing conversion and will see how and what plays.

I used the first one in this list that's a .MOV/MPEG-4 container shot in 4K from iPhone 6s with 29.970fps.

• Reply 19 of 20
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Update:

[images]
    If it's only playing back in VLC then HEVC is not possible with QTX or iTunes. As I've previous stated, I don't think that option will come until they launch iTunes with HEVC playback support.
    I'm sorry I didn't realize you were laboring to prove something you said way back was correct, I missed that.  I thought we were collaborating on a path of discovery. My sizes were correct, you failed to give me a brownie point as they seem to matter to you.  I'll cease replying and let you return to being pedantic.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    MacPro said:
    I'm sorry I didn't realize you were laboring to prove something you said way back was correct, I missed that.  I thought we were collaborating on a path of discovery. My sizes were correct, you failed to give me a brownie point as they seem to matter to you.  I'll cease replying and let you return to being pedantic.
    I have no idea what you're on your about or why you now seem butthurt. You made a statement, I inquired as to that statement, and after a little teeth pulling I was able together enough information to test your findings.

Using the aforementioned website and a test 4K video I was able to verify that you can re-ncode from 2160p/4K from H.264/AVC to H.265/HEVC. I was able to verify that the HEVC video will playback in both QTX and iTunes. I was also able to verify that the HEVC conversion dropped the file to just 30.4% of the original.

The complexity, as noted by the screenshots for these videos are low, which may be why it plays back, or it could be something about the Handbrake encoder. If only I couldn't playback in QTX and iTunes after using Handbrake with a less than 2160p source (i.e.: less taxing to the decoder) but you could playback 2160p content QTX and iTunes after using QTX's encoder, then I'd say the issue was with Handbrake's encoder, but you've stated that you still need to use VLC for playback, so I have to think that profile complexity is an issue the issue. Additional testing is required. 
    edited August 2017