Android Oreo exits developer beta program, coming to Google's Pixel, Nexus soon

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google's latest version of Android has been named. Android Oreo is complete, has exited developer-only beta testing, and is coming soon to the Pixel, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P.

The builds for Google's current crop of devices is in carrier testing, and should roll out soon -- but no firm timetable is available for the release. The Nexus Player device, and Pixel C tablet are next on the slate for releases.

Beyond Google's own devices, it is unclear when other manufacturers will adopt the new release. Also not certain is which specific devices will get the software upgrade.

The "Fluid Experiences" updates to Android O was started off by the addition of a picture-in-picture mode, shrinking the app down so another can be used alongside it. Hitting the home button while a video is playing places it into the picture-in-picture mode, with the smaller video able to be swiped away when it is no longer required.

Video apps including YouTube and Netflix will support the multitasking function, but it will also be usable by other apps as well, including Google Maps. This could feasibly allow someone traveling to a destination to access the camera app while still being able to see where to go on the map.

Notification Dots are small dots on the app's icon, advising that the app has a notification for the user, a function that has been used on iOS for a considerable amount of time. A long press of an icon with the dot will bring up a small menu just above the icon, detailing the notifications without opening the app.

Google is also expanding the utility of autofill, the feature that automatically places a user's details into a form, from Chrome to apps. Android now provides suggestions for usernames and other details that can be placed into forms within apps that are being used elsewhere, saving the user from retyping the data.

Text selection is being given an overhaul, with machine learning being used to make it easier to select individual words or sentences. After analyzing text, Android will automatically select names, addresses, and other commonly highlighted details, saving the user from adjusting the selected area manually.

The second major section, "Vitals," covers behind-the-scenes elements of Android that impact speed and security of the operating system. The boot time of Android O is twice as fast as the current publicly-available version of Android, with Google having made "extensive changes" to the Android runtime to optimize it.

"Wise Limits" are a way to prevent apps from draining the battery or taking up precious resources. The limits will primarily affect any apps running or executing in the background, allowing them to run, but minimizing their impact on the system's overall performance.

Google Play Protect is a new service for automatically keeping apps safe by regularly scanning them for issues. While Google already performs scanning of apps within Google Play itself, the program is more to do with educating users that various security measures are being performed, with notifications regularly appearing in the Google Play Store whenever apps are updated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Lol!! “Wise Limits” who does their marketing? Also I’m guessing (yes purely a guess) that it still won’t touch iOS on the efficiency front.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    40% royalty to ILM for Android, 40% royalty to Nabisco for Oreo...

SpamSandwichdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    And the fragmentation of the Android market only continues to worsen. . .
    jbdragonalbegarcmagman1979watto_cobramacky the macky
  • Reply 4 of 20
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    Notification Dots are small dots on the app's icon, advising that the app has a notification for the user, a function that has been used on iOS for a considerable amount of time since its inception. 
    FTFY
    jbdragonronnwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 20
    So will all the idiots who claimed Android offered "true multitasking" now take back their comments now that Android has taken a feature from iOS?
    edited August 2017 ronnmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That's the way the cookie crumbles!
    doozydozenronnmagman1979watto_cobraedred
  • Reply 7 of 20
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    In more than three years of Android use, I have yet to use a phone without notification dots.

It might be an addition to this Android release but, as everyone knows, vendors add their own layers on top of the stock Android so many users might not notice the change because they've had the dots for so long now.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    avon b7 said:
    In more than three years of Android use, I have yet to use a phone without notification dots.

It might be an addition to this Android release but, as everyone knows, vendors add their own layers on top of the stock Android so many users might not notice the change because they've had the dots for so long now.
    More spin from you hey, Android just generated anti-buzz today with their lackluster release.. Probably why they hid it under a major eclipse, they knew it sucked.
    watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 9 of 20
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Lol!! “Wise Limits” who does their marketing? Also I’m guessing (yes purely a guess) that it still won’t touch iOS on the efficiency front.
    iOS is still the best at freezing background apps without draining the system battery and RAM. Google just playing catch up in this department. Sadly, not many people would appreciate background features, most would whoa whoa what they can only see in the UI.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    "Oreo" made me hungry. Then I saw "Vitals" and "Wise Limits" and got a little confused. "Fluid Experience" made me sick...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    40% royalty to ILM for Android, 40% royalty to Nabisco for Oreo...

Royalties to ILM for Android? Since when? The only one paying to ILM was Verizon for Droid trademark. Android is not trademarked

And as never was a monetary transaction when Kitkat was used, I highly doubt that would be one in this case
  • Reply 12 of 20
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    sog35 said:

They are an advertising company. Period. They are a data miner that sells your data to advertisers.

What data is sold to advertisers?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    kevin kee said:
    iOS is still the best at freezing background apps without draining the system battery and RAM. Google just playing catch up in this department. Sadly, not many people would appreciate background features, most would whoa whoa what they can only see in the UI.
    This must be a Google stock Android thing.  My current Android with vendor layer includes a whole suite of battery options in advanced settings and gives me a lot of control over background features, together with grouped options to reduce the strain on battery life. The options far, far outstrip anything offered on iOS.

There is a wealth of options available through the OEM.

Although obviously not the same, Google plus OEM layer is not dissimilar to Darwin and the layers on top of it in OSX.

Google can feed off many of the ideas provided by OEM layers and integrate them into the stock Google version if necessary. I believe this is what happened with Huawei's fingerprint scanner gestures.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    avon b7 said:
    This must be a Google stock Android thing.  My current Android with vendor layer includes a whole suite of battery options in advanced settings and gives me a lot of control over background features, together with grouped options to reduce the strain on battery life. The options far, far outstrip anything offered on iOS.

There is a wealth of options available through the OEM.

Although obviously not the same, Google plus OEM layer is not dissimilar to Darwin and the layers on top of it in OSX.

Google can feed off many of the ideas provided by OEM layers and integrate them into the stock Google version if necessary. I believe this is what happened with Huawei's fingerprint scanner gestures.
    Google does this all the time!!! Remember "Split screen multi-tasking" which was present in Samsung Notes for quite sometime. Google included that functionality only last year, solid 3 years after Samsung introduced it!!!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gwydion said:
    sog35 said:

They are an advertising company. Period. They are a data miner that sells your data to advertisers.

What data is sold to advertisers?
    Ignore him. IMO he's been known to make stuff up just to start arguments. He knows Google doesn't sell data so he obviously has some other reason for fibbing about it.  
  • Reply 16 of 20
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Since they insist on naming their systems after foods,
    I'm going to suggest-
    -Scrambled eggs,
    -Pineapple upside-down cake, or
    -Mulligan stew (they'll get it right, eventually...?).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    boredumb said:
    I'm going to suggest-
    -Scrambled eggs,
    They only use the most unhealthy, cavity causing candies and junk food names for their updates. They'll name the next version PEZ or something. How about something healthy for once, you overweight, disgusting, pimple-faced engineers?
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    They'll name the next version PEZ or something.
    Oreo
    PEZ
    Queijadinha
    Ricola
    Skittles
    Twix
    Unicorn Pop
    Valomilk
    Whopper
    Xuegao (to highlight the fact that they only care about the Chinese market at this point)
    Yorkie (they can even co-opt the tagline for their female discrimination lawsuit)
    Zero (you know, the candy bar and the value of the OS at this point)
  • Reply 19 of 20
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    boredumb said:
    I'm going to suggest-
    -Scrambled eggs,
    They only use the most unhealthy, cavity causing candies and junk food names for their updates. They'll name the next version PEZ or something. How about something healthy for once, you overweight, disgusting, pimple-faced engineers?
    You're not wrong about their choices, but rather than attempt an approximate nutritional equivalency, I was going for foods that are all mixed or jumbled up - fubar...
    That might actually be a good choice - "Try the New, Improved FuBar!  50% More Nuts Than Ever Before!!!"
    I'll stop now...
    edited August 2017