iTunes U Collections migrating to Apple Podcasts app in September

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple is preparing to migrate iTunes U Collections from the iTunes U app to Apple Podcasts, with a warning to educational institutions advising the change will take place in September as part of the release of iTunes 12.7.

According to the notice provided to participating institutions spotted by MacStories, Apple advises "In September, iTunes U collections will move from iTunes U to the Podcasts app. No action is required on your part for this transition."

"With this change, users can access your collections using the Podcasts app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, and using iTunes on Mac and PC," the notice reads. "Your public iTunes U Collections will automatically be migrated and all links redirected into Apple Podcasts at the time of transition."

Apple advises that, while there is nothing required of institutions for the migration to take place, the company recommends they review their current collections and remove unneeded or out-of-date content before the transition takes place. The Public Site Manager support page also advises that Apple Podcasts supports all media types currently supported by iTunes U Collections with the exception of ePub files, with the suggestion files of this type could be converted to another compatible format, such as PDF files.

While iTunes U Collections will be moving to the Podcasts app, iTunes U Courses will continue to be accessible through the iTunes U app on iOS. Due to the split of content between the two apps, institutions will be able to continue managing public courses through the iTunes U Public Site Manager, but must use the iTunes Podcast Site Manager to manage their migrated collections.

The migration should in theory open up the iTunes U Collections to a wider audience, by providing users of the Podcasts app more educational content to consume.

The change does have a downside for Mac and PC users of iTunes. As iTunes U will be removed from the desktop version of iTunes, the migration will limit public courses to the iTunes U app on iOS devices, meaning there will not be a way to access the course content from macOS or Windows systems from that moment onwards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Very annoying. Let's hope Apple launch a Desktop version of their Podcast app.
    doozydozenSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Hopefully this is an indication a dedicated Apple Podcasts app on macOS is coming. The Podcasts integration in iTunes sucks majorly. So much so I refuse to use iTunes for that reason. I do use iTunes for music playback however and don't mind that so much.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ...but why?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I think this is good and I suspect a dedicated podcast MacOS app is coming.

iTunes is a mess.  I am an Apple user and am constantly confused by the ever changing UI.

iTunes needs to be broken up into dedicated apps devoted to seperate functions:

Back-up of iOS devices.
    Podcasts
    AppleMusic
    old school iTunes media purchases...maybe break this up further into Music and TV:Movie purchases and acquired media storage (or move music purchases to the AppleMusic app for nonsubscribers.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    badmonk said:
    I think this is good and I suspect a dedicated podcast MacOS app is coming.

iTunes is a mess.  I am an Apple user and am constantly confused by the ever changing UI.

iTunes needs to be broken up into dedicated apps devoted to seperate functions:

Back-up of iOS devices.
    Podcasts
    AppleMusic
    old school iTunes media purchases...maybe break this up further into Music and TV:Movie purchases and acquired media storage (or move music purchases to the AppleMusic app for nonsubscribers.
    Time Machine should serve as a one-size-fits-all backup application (or get rid of Time Machine replace it with "Backup"), on both the desktop and in iOS. All of the different ways of acquiring and saving data are completely confusing to people. Most people I know aren't even aware they need to be making regular iOS backups and they don't.
    edited August 2017