Apple alumni reveal HomeKit-compatible Latch C smart lock for business, apartments

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
Smart lock startup company Latch has unveiled the enterprise and apartment-oriented Latch C -- its first smart lock certified to work with HomeKit.

According to the company, the Latch C is the first "enterprise-certified" smart lock for HomeKit. The lock includes wi-fi, Bluetooth, and near-field communication for unlocking, and a wide-angle camera and a touchscreen. A conventional keyhole allows for physical access as well.

The lock is designed for apartment doors with deadbolt hardware. The company's mortise locks and electronic access hardware is not HomeKit-compatible.

The company claims that six AA batteries last for up to 12 months with normal usage.

"The mortise product [Latch M] is required by law in most major urban markets," Latch co-founder Luke Schoenfelder told Techcrunch on Tuesday. "With the C, we're able to work on any apartment door in the U.S., so this really just completes the suite."

Schoenfelder and Chief Design Officer Thomas Meyerhoffer were once Apple employees. Schoenfelder was Apple's head of Worldwide Government Affairs between 2008 and 2012.

Meyerhoffer is a renowned designer, and was Jony Ives's first hire. His most notable product was the eMate -- and he left the company shortly after it was complete.

The Latch C costs $299 per lock, not including the cost of a required Latch monthly subscription. Pre-orders have commenced, with deliveries of the lock expected in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Let me guess... these electronic locks will also open for law enforcement on demand, right?

Also, what apartment complex would allow a tenant to install their own lock?
    magman1979
  • Reply 2 of 16
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I have to pay a monthly fee to unlock my door, that is a non starter.

But I am assuming this is not designed for home owners, it design for corporations and property managers so they can control who can gain access, they can easily lock someone out if they refuse to pay their rent.

SpamSandwichchaickajbdragondoozydozenmagman1979
  • Reply 3 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    6x AA batteries and a monthly subscription license to use it means it's a no-go for me.
    magman1979
  • Reply 4 of 16
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    Monthly subscription for a door lock...good one, IoT. I understand that companies are looking into recurring revenues, but this is a shit case for it.

On the bright side, a camera built into the lock is a great idea.
    edited August 2017 chaickajbdragonmagman1979
  • Reply 5 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Impressive set of features. But no f'ing way I'm paying a monthly subscription to use my own goddam hardware. Get real, guys. 
    chaickajbdragondoozydozenmagman1979
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Beautiful lock. Awesome features. Hope it has the ability to detect if the door (not just the lock) is opened or closed. 

I will I'll not pay a monthly fee and hope they come out with a residential version without fees. 
    magman1979StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    This is just lame, it's all meaningless garbage.
    Soli said:
    6x AA batteries and a monthly subscription license to use it means it's a no-go for me.
    All these types of Smart Locks have Battery's in them to work. How do you expect them to work otherwise? Are you going to run house power onto your door? So 1 year is actually pretty good for one of these Smart Locks. The whole monthly fee though, No way in hell. I'm just thinking if all my other Siri control devices and some dumb fee on those. No thanks. I HATE Freemium games. I hate all these dumb Monthly fee's wants a regular income every month. Why do any real work where people would want to pay to upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Let me guess... these electronic locks will also open for law enforcement on demand, right?

I think Law Enforcement's preferred method of entry is with the use of a battering ram. It more explicitly says 'law enforcement'.

Currently I have another competing product and I hope this is a major improvement. Sometimes I spend over a minute outside my front door logging into the app, repeatedly trying to get bluetooth connection in order to open the door. And yeah, I agree about the subscription model. I see why subscriptions are very attractive for business owners, but really, when it comes to your home, a key works so much better. Or better still, a key touch pad. Best of both worlds.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Required monthly subscription? No way in hell.

$299.00? Sorry, that's just way too expensive. I understand it's electronic and neato, but $300? Dream on. The right price would be $150. Same with all the competition. Regular key dead bolts are $30-50. Electronic combo dead bolts are $80. Anyone who wants to charge $300 just because it's WiFi enabled is insane. Anyone who spends $300 for this is just as insane.

Six AA batteries? Again, holy friggin cow! Ok, I understand it takes a fair amount of juice to run WiFi and turn the locking motor. Ha, everyone knows "normal" use will chew through the batteries in 6 months... How about two lithium 9-volt batteries instead? Rechargeable ones. Easy insert battery sockets (no cheap snap-on caps w/wires).
    Soli
  • Reply 10 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jbdragon said:
    Soli said:
    All these types of Smart Locks have Battery's in them to work. How do you expect them to work otherwise? Are you going to run house power onto your door?
    Why do you think my specifically noting "6x AA batteries" means I don't think it should have a battery? Nothing in my comment said that "these should passive, battery-less devices." What I'd like a more efficient system with a Li-Poly battery that could both be smaller, last longer, and quickly recharged (possibly with a small external battery pack you can hang on the door attachment for a half-hour or so).
    edited August 2017 pkisseltofino
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Soli said:
    jbdragon said:
    Soli said:
    All these types of Smart Locks have Battery's in them to work. How do you expect them to work otherwise? Are you going to run house power onto your door?
    Why do you think my specifically noting "6xAA batteries" means I don't think it should have a battery? Nothing in my comment said that "these should passive, battery-less devices. What I'd like a more efficient system with a Li-Poly battery that could both be smaller, last longer, and quickly recharged possibly with a small external battery pack yuou can hang on the door handle for a half-hour or so
    Yep, the monthly fee is a non-starter for me as well as a residential homeowner.  Firmware upgrades should be built into the cost of the initial purchase.  I don't mind giving them a little cash now and then software app upgrades that add value but at my discretion.  Seems like this product is not being marketed to me.  Timeshare managers perhaps? 
    Soli
  • Reply 12 of 16
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    6 AA per year is fine, and for those complaining that that's too much, consider the fact that the lock has a motor in it to move the bolt.  That takes a lot more energy than running the electronics.

But, the subscription is pathetic.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member

Law enforcement still needs warrants, and likely doesn't get any direct access. Property managers would prefer to let law enforcement in (as is the case with plain ol' keys) instead of them using their 'master key'. The sky isn't falling.

Who says allowing individual tenants to install this lock is the business model? And if this is a clean retrofit, I'd bet few apartment complexes would care as long as they were provided a key, or could be master keyed to their key (but that would be far less likely).

The lock offers a lot of features for the money. But you'd have to be well heeled to buy this for yourself along with the 2-year minimum software subscription. Again, I don't think individuals are the target market. I suspect the cost of the lock is at least partially subsidized by the subscription.

The lock isn't for me but it's nice to see something with something high-end, if not high security. Aside from all the tech, it's just a deadbolt.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    maestro64 said:

But I am assuming this is not designed for home owners, it design for corporations and property managers so they can control who can gain access, they can easily lock someone out if they refuse to pay their rent.

Uh, no landlords cannot just lock you out for not paying rent. It might seem logical, but no.  You have to go to court and properly evict a tenant.
    you can't just deny them access to their stuff, for a lot of reasons that should be obvious.  But it would make "changing"  locks easier once the tenant has had a chance to respond and the proper court orders are received.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    palomine said:
    maestro64 said:

Uh, no landlords cannot just lock you out for not paying rent. It might seem logical, but no.  You have to go to court and properly evict a tenant.
    you can't just deny them access to their stuff, for a lot of reasons that should be obvious.  But it would make "changing"  locks easier once the tenant has had a chance to respond and the proper court orders are received.

Yes, I realize that, but most evictions are not that complicated since most tents never show up to court, but in some places you do no even have to go to court. I personally seen people stuff dump on the sidewalk. The out side benefit is no need for keys to give to maintenance workers. I can see this for high end apartments and condos
  • Reply 16 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    maestro64 said:
    palomine said:
    maestro64 said:

Yes, I realize that, but most evictions are not that complicated since most tents never show up to court, but in some places you do no even have to go to court. I personally seen people stuff dump on the sidewalk. The out side benefit is no need for keys to give to maintenance workers. I can see this for high end apartments and condos
    No, most contested evictions are that complicated. In a lawful eviction, personal belongings can be removed to the street. 'people stuff dumped on the sidewalk' is irrelevant, for the most part.

Since these lock utilize a key and lock cylinder, any electronic benefits are probably limited for the most part, to the owner. There's also a keypad, so there are a variety of scenarios were access can be allowed without the owner's/renter's presence.

But I saw no mention of being able to override the key and locking everyone out. Obviously the key would work in the event of a power failure. But can this lock electrically override the key? No matter. I'd not own a lock (assuming it's sold on an individual basis) that requires any subscription.