Videos in iOS 11 beta show alternate Control Center, app switcher gestures on iPhone witho...

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
A pair of tutorial videos found in Apple's latest iOS 11 beta release depict what appears to be an alternate Control Center interface and app switcher swipe gestures never before previewed.

Apple SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi demonstrates the iOS 11 Control Center at WWDC 2017.

Discovered by developer Guilherme Rambo, the two short clips feature what looks to be an iPhone 7 series device, or a model aesthetically similar to the handset, running iOS 11.

Seen below, the first video runs through Apple's iOS 11 lock screen user interface. As noted at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, users can access iPhone's lock screen from anywhere in the operating system by swiping down from the top of the screen.

Notifications can be viewed from the lock screen, while swiping left brings up app widgets, as is available in iOS 10. This behavior is shown off in the clip discovered today.

Interestingly, the video demonstrates Control Center access by swiping right, an action that activates the camera in current versions of iOS 11 beta.

This is interesting pic.twitter.com/X4GLiMy1c5

-- Guilherme Rambo (@_inside)

A second, much shorter, clip shows a quick swipe up from the bottom of the screen activates the iOS app switcher. This diverges from current iPhone functionality in which the feature is accessed either through a double tap of the home button or by pressing down on the left edge of the screen and swiping right.

While no expository text is included, it can be surmised that Apple applied the same 3D Touch app switcher gesture to the bottom of iPhone's display, at least for the video. Further deviating from current iOS 11 behavior, Control Center pops up as the top app switcher pane instead of the usual home screen view. While mere speculation, the second explainer could offer a first glimpse at Apple's app switching solution for "iPhone 8."

Perhaps most intriguing is the iPhone used to create the video tutorials. Notably, the unit appears to lack a Touch ID home button, suggesting preproduction hardware. Alternatively, the smartphone could be a placeholder for the as-yet-unreleased "iPhone 8," which is expected to debut sans home button.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Makes sense if there is no Home button. If you have an iPhone 8, swiping up will probably take you to the Home screen.

Edit: Just read the rest of the article and they pretty much said exactly that lol
    edited August 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Or it's just a minimalist display to focus on the video. The speaker for the ear isn't apparent either and no one thinks that's going away.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I wish that they would have turned the Apple logo on the back into the new TouchID button (optional to use of course).
    Not happy losing TouchID.   Hopefully the 7S and 7S Plus keep the touchID.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    JinTech said:
    Makes sense if there is no Home button. If you have an iPhone 8, swiping up will probably take you to the Home screen.

Edit: Just read the rest of the article and they pretty much said exactly that lol
    Don’t see this an an intuitive primary method of visiting the Home screen. As a second method, sure. Not primary. It makes more sense to have a soft Home button that can never physically break and can fade out in certain scenarios and operates as a separate process outside of the current launched app, for usability and security reasons. In China for example its common for a certain portion of typical users to enable the software Home button feature in accessibility to prevent a hardware failure. Now they can avoid needing to. And we all get quick, access to Siri either via a long press on this Home “button” or as a separate button in this function chin.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 5 of 17
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    let's say there is a virtual home button....if there was, should a home button icon have appeared on the screen? If this is a beta, would apple so blatantly give up this info?
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 6 of 17
    k2kw said:
    I wish that they would have turned the Apple logo on the back into the new TouchID button (optional to use of course). Not happy losing TouchID. Hopefully the 7S and 7S Plus keep the touchID.
    Curious why, presuming the new solution has a lower failure rate.

E.g. idiots over on MacRumors complain they will never be able to ski with their iPhone again. Who in the name of God skis with their iPhone!? (and without gloves??) Anyway, if you has a ski-mask covering you it’d obviously detect this and divert to passcode in such scenarios. Apple would have to be inept to not account for such situations.

So yeah, why a desperate need for Touch ID? Your Face ID would be on the secure element clearly. Like your fingerprint, previously. Not that I’d trust a company like Samsung with a smell of my biometric details.
    edited August 2017 Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 7 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'm just curious, I only beta test mac OS not iOS, have Apple done away with NDA agreements in iOS betas?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    MacPro said:
    I'm just curious, I only beta test mac OS not iOS, have Apple done away with NDA agreements in iOS betas?
    I’m sure there’s a rudimentary something something in place. But yes, now that they release betas also to the public at beta.apple.com those old NDAs are pretty much gone. They were entirely unhelpful, stopping developers to be free to discuss with one another and all the info leaked anyway.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 9 of 17
    NY1822 said:
    let's say there is a virtual home button....if there was, should a home button icon have appeared on the screen? If this is a beta, would apple so blatantly give up this info?
    The hardware product you implicitly mention hasn’t been announced yet, so no, in that case.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 10 of 17
    No go on face detection. back off. not going to happen. T-ID in power button T-ID in screen ftw. Watch the price point appl!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    No go on face detection. back off. not going to happen. T-ID in power button T-ID in screen ftw. Watch the price point appl!
    Price will be through the roof and people with money will lap them up.

And your wrong on Touch ID in power button. It’s larger simply for better ease of use for a larger range of hand sizes. If Apple introduce Face ID on iPhone 8 they go all in and it fully replaces Touch ID in that product.
    edited August 2017 Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 12 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ireland said:
    k2kw said:
    I wish that they would have turned the Apple logo on the back into the new TouchID button (optional to use of course). Not happy losing TouchID. Hopefully the 7S and 7S Plus keep the touchID.

E.g. idiots over on MacRumors complain they will never be able to ski with their iPhone again. Who in the name of God skis with their iPhone!? (and without gloves??) Anyway, if you has a ski-mask covering you it’d obviously detect this and divert to passcode in such scenarios. Apple would have to be inept to not account for such situations.

So yeah, why a desperate need for Touch ID? Your Face ID would be on the secure element clearly. Like your fingerprint, previously. Not that I’d trust a company like Samsung with a smell of my biometric details.
    Me!   I never leave home without it -- especially when doing something as risky as skiing!
    My question is:   What fruit cake would dare to ski without it?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Nope. Not only is that the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard (even dumber than Touch ID on the back, which lets be honest, is pretty fucking dumb), but if you don't understand any of this at this point, you're just not paying attention at all.

iPhone 8 was designed from the ground up without Touch ID, or the Home Button.

Face ID is going to be indistinguishable from Touch ID in terms of user experience.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    ireland said:
    k2kw said:

Me!   I never leave home without it -- especially when doing something as risky as skiing!
    Fair point. I’ve never skid before.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Nope. Not only is that the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard (even dumber than Touch ID on the back, which lets be honest, is pretty fucking dumb), but if you don't understand any of this at this point, you're just not paying attention at all.

iPhone 8 was designed from the ground up without Touch ID, or the Home Button.

Face ID is going to be indistinguishable from Touch ID in terms of user experience.
    That seems like a strange and un-needlessly defensive argument, when you have clue if iPhone will have a Home button, or not. My guess is it will. It will probably have a software Home button. And it is possible to implement in-display fingerprint scanning with intelligent haptics. The current rumor is Apple couldn’t implement in-display Touch ID as it will too difficult at such a big scale. That they were already probably including all those cameras and sensors up front maybe meant they could use their backup unlocking method Face ID.

But as none of us really know we may as well be guessing. No need to run to Apple’s defence. They’re doing fine without it.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I am assuming that you have it with you in case of emergencies or if you are wanting to take a picture. In either case, I would think you would probably take off your glove (or have touch-screen gloves) and maybe take off your goggles so you can see clearly. I could be wrong about that, especially since I live in a desert. 😜
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I am assuming that you have it with you in case of emergencies or if you are wanting to take a picture. In either case, I would think you would probably take off your glove (or have touch-screen gloves) and maybe take off your goggles so you can see clearly. I could be wrong about that, especially since I live in a desert.  :p

p.s. Sorry about the previous post, it didn't like my Mac Emoji for whatever reason...
    edited August 2017