Video: Calibration machine video allegedly shows Touch ID embedded into 'iPhone 8' Apple l...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2017
AppleInsider discusses a new iPhone 8 video, allegedly depicting a Touch ID calibration machine -- and the sensor for the technology on the back of the phone.

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    A "Touch ID calibration machine".

Words cannot begin to describe the level of Nope.
    wonkothesaneSoundJudgmentkruegdudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Going to bet we don’t see this. Those who rock a case?—most people. Nope.
    mike1doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 36
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    What a total ergonomic and embarassing fail. It would be better, and I mean orders of magnitude better, to keep the chin and Touch ID on the front if they couldn't do it reliably under the screen.
    doozydozenlongpathmacplusplustmaywatto_cobraedred
  • Reply 4 of 36
    ireland said:
    Many people use cases on android phones and have no problem using a fingerprint scanner on the rear of the phone. Not sure why you feel this would disqualify it. I’m not sure about the rumor but a case definitely would not be an issue. Heck many iPhone cases already have cutouts to show off the Apple logo 
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 36
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    ireland said:
    There are plenty of android phones with rear fingerprint scanners that can be used with a case on. I would rather have a fingerprint scanner on the front but the rear ones are usable and a better option than not at all imo. 
  • Reply 6 of 36
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Ive used an S8 with the rear sensor. It's crap from a user perspective.  The only way this would be acceptable in an Apple product, which, by the way, in addition to its lack of ergonomics, is the lame me too-ness of it, is that the facial recognition is sooo damn good the Touch ID is relegated to only be used for servicing purposes.
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    WHOA that would be a really courageous thing for apple to do!! So brave!!! copy everyone else and put it on the back.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    WHOA that would be a really courageous thing for apple to do!! So brave!!! copy everyone else and put it on the back.
    I don't follow, how would that be courageous?  Or did you forget the sarcasm tag?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    The way Touch ID works now is perfect. Having it on the back seems awkward. In my mind getting rid of the home button on the front is a horrible compromise just for a centimeter of additional screen real estate. 
    randominternetpersonmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    ireland said:
    Cases for existing iPhones generally have a cutout on the back to display the all-important Apple logo. Why would case makers not continue this trend especially if the 10th anniversary model has Touch ID on the back?? 
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Why would the Touch ID verification process take so long to validate? On a normal iPhone it’s millisecinds here they are holding for 5-10 seconds. Additionally on the iPhone 7 machines we have seen the phone needs to be plugged in to lightning to calibrate. How exactly is Apple calibrating these phones on a machine when they are not plugged in?
    welshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    I like the Black Mesa label on the alleged quality control machine. http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Mesa
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I don't follow, how would that be courageous?  Or did you forget the sarcasm tag?
    It's sardonic, but its primary function is to troll. Check out his other comments. He's suggesting that Apple would be "copying" other vendors that had it on the back for years.
    edited August 2017 StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    You’re responding to a rumor, son. Save your scornful disapproval for when/if it’s real.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    I have a feeling this is the Real Deal. I feel OK ,with this ,a high tech Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Sarcasm aside, it would be a somewhat bold move on Apple's part to endure the slings and arrows of outraged tech users crying 'lame me too move!!' blah blah.

I don't think it's likely, for no reason in particular. A case with a hole for the logo (since most if not all third party cases can't have the  logo on them) would help locate the sensor by touch. But I don't see Apple going that route.

I'm still hoping for TID over FID. The five quick presses to turn off TID could be used to turn off FID if incorporated. But I'm hoping Apple will at least keep TID moving forward.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Front or back, it isn't an issue. It's a simple preference. Those who say it would be a stupid move, do so ignorantly.

Gazillions of phones have the sensor on the back when it could go on the front. Manufacturers constantly switch between both positions, often having different current phones with some having rear sensors, and some front sensors. It is a non issue.

You might prefer one or the other (or not) depending on how you use the phone. As millions of users already do.

Having used both positions, I prefer the rear placed sensor.

If Apple decides to go for a rear option, it would not be an issue for anyone, except perhaps for those who incessantly claim the rear placed sensors are stupid and/or that Apple would never implement such an option (even though as someone pointed out today, Apple has a patent for a rear placed sensor in the Apple logo).

• Reply 18 of 36
    This may be the most mysterious release of the iPhone in years! No one knows for sure what Apple will show in September / October.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    ireland said:
    Many people use cases on android phones and have no problem using a fingerprint scanner on the rear of the phone. Not sure why you feel this would disqualify it. I’m not sure about the rumor but a case definitely would not be an issue. Heck many iPhone cases already have cutouts to show off the Apple logo 
    Then why the hell iOS still offers 5 finger print storage while only 1 or 2 can be used: either left or right index?
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Allegedly nothing that's it. I prefer the rear although I like in front too but if theres no room, you know what has to happen and it looks like it has. Nice job Apple looking forward to this phone. keep that price reasonable Tim C.