Anker bets on designs for Apple's 'iPhone 8,' 'iPhone 7s' & '7s Plus' with new cases

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
A well-known accessory maker, Anker, has announced a series of cases for Apple's "iPhone 8," "7s," and "7s Plus," even though the anticipated devices are still weeks away from being revealed.

For the "iPhone 8," the new Karapax-series cases include a cutout for a vertically-aligned, dual-lens camera system. The "7s" and "7s Plus" models are also meant to fit the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus -- the "7s" at least may be slightly larger than its predecessor, but perhaps not enough to warrant a separate case design.

A number of other casemakers are gambling on the "iPhone 8's" design, hoping to beat the competition to market. The firms are presumably relying on a mix of rumors and leaks from clandestine sources, since any companies with official Apple schematics would be under strict non-disclosure agreements.

Apple should announce all three new phones at an event next month. The "iPhone 8" is expected to feature a 5.8-inch OLED display, 3D facial recognition, a "smart" camera, and an assortment of smaller upgrades like wireless charging. The "7s" and "7s Plus" should have 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCDs, but include some of the "8's" upgrades, like the "A11."

The devices could ship at roughly the same time, even if mass production of the "8" might not start until mid-September -- something that would leave very few units on sale.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    These companies ,are going to have the A$$es handed to them ,if the Apple Logo gets the TouchID treatment.
    Avieshek
  • Reply 2 of 13
    They could not possibly have been meant to publish this yet!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I once saw a leaked case from alibaba that showed the exact image of a dummy phone months before release. I notably haven't seen anything from them re the iPhone X.  Maybe they've signed a non-disclosure 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sog35 said:
    Bro.  

No hole for touchID in the back? Screwed
    More importantly, No hole for the usual Apple Logo, either. Devotees are jumping off the rooftops.
    Avieshek
  • Reply 5 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Remember when a case maker made 50k cases for a rumoured tapered iPhone 5?

• Reply 6 of 13
    Soli said:
    Remember when a case maker made 50k cases for a rumoured tapered iPhone 5?

Just my thought. The answer is: No!! most of those Case makers no longer exist. Went Bankrupt on a Red Herring. I always assume it was Steve's last Revenge. Shortly after the 4s was revealed he left us.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:
    Bro.  

No hole for touchID in the back? Screwed
    Not really. They can punch a hole on each before shipping out. Easy!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Logo or no logo, it's going to be mine.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    LOTS of Apple cases don't show the logo. There's been no uprising.

Some case manufacturers probably already have the specs for the new phones. Anker is a descent brand. Maybe they've been approved for advanced copies. If so, leaking those pics could mean the last time they'll get advance notice.
    night9hawkStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,333member
    I question just how large of a financial gamble these case makers are making simply by “announcing” a product in advance of its marketability  being validated. I suspect it’s very minimal and well worth the risk for the free advanced product advertising they’re getting now. With 3D printing for prototyping and highly flexible and reconfigurable CNC for making molds, the time-to-market post iPhone reveal should be minimal. Anker seems to have their act together in the markets they serve, so I’d say they’re more savvy than foolhardy. 
    macgui
  • Reply 11 of 13

So if I turn the little metal thingy at the bottom upwards, will it dispense Coke Zero?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    dewme said:
    I question just how large of a financial gamble these case makers are making simply by “announcing” a product in advance of its marketability  being validated. I suspect it’s very minimal and well worth the risk for the free advanced product advertising they’re getting now. With 3D printing for prototyping and highly flexible and reconfigurable CNC for making molds, the time-to-market post iPhone reveal should be minimal. Anker seems to have their act together in the markets they serve, so I’d say they’re more savvy than foolhardy. 
    Fair point, that.

Also, seeing renders doesn't mean that a company has actually gone into production. With the potential flexibility in manufacturing you mention, even if they guessed wrong, the loss might be readily offset and absorbed by free publicity. I particularly agree with your mention of 'more savvy than foolhardy'.