Video purports to show testing of Apple 'iPhone 8' with rear-mounted Touch ID

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Err what Apple does and what a supplier does is two different things.   Plenty of videos of Apples production lines at Foxconn are populated with PC's.   

As for being real, of course the video is real, as for the product that is hard to tell.
    maestro64 said:

One thing I can say about Apple, they are not going to test any Apple product with a PC, they would be testing with Apple products, they write all their test code and systems on a Mac, this is something Apple has done since day one of the Macs.

So does anyone really think this video is real, and it is a really apple product.

• Reply 22 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    wizard69 said:
    602warren said:
    robjn said:
    There not using Touch ID!

They just have there hand waiting to find out if they get a "PASS" of "FAIL" - that determines where they will need to take the phone. (The pass and fail routings are likely in different directions, one to the right and one to the left - it's critical that the technician get it correct)

Does anyone really think that phones are set up for Touch ID so that only a particular technician can run a test like this?

besides, it looks like an Apple logo not a Touch ID sensor.
    Maybe the Touch ID sensor is IN the Apple logo! 😱 *sarcasm* ... but low key wishes it were true...
    Maybe it is.    Maybe it is a supplement to video recognition which is probably smart considering the new tech involved.
    Yes, and if it were on the back I cannot think of a reason not to put it in the Apple logo. Many cases already have cutouts to show the logo and it just makes sense to put it there as that's where the best rear placement is, right where the Apple logo is.
  • Reply 23 of 38

sog35 said:
    I gotta say, I'd rather have rear TouchID then no TouchID.

Nope. And you'll forget all about it 3 minutes after using Face ID. Guaranteed.
    Nope!! there are plenty of cases where FaceID likely won't work well.    Spend a few days midwinter in the great white north and you will see what I mean.
  • Reply 24 of 38

sog35 said:
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:
    I gotta say, I'd rather have rear TouchID then no TouchID.

I would not mind if the iPhone allows you to use:

1. Rear TouchID

2. Face ID

3. Passcode

This should cover all situations.

1. Cold weather or wet hands or dirty hands:  Face ID

2. Apple Pay:  TouchID

3. Phone on the desk face up:  FaceID

4. Phone on the desk face down: Rear TouchID

DAMN!!

I think I just cracked it!  With a combination of Rear TouchID and Face ID its even better then the standard front touch ID.

you missed the use case of gloves and ski mask
    damn bro. There goes Apple's foothold in the bank robber market
    You might be trying to be funny here but I can confirm that using iPhone in the winter is a pain in the behind.      That is in its current state, I'm not sure Face ID would be a significant help when you have on a balaclava, hat and a hood over your head.   Yes it can get that cold.    Then again unless you have your iPhone next to your body it will complain about the cold and not operate anyways.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    sog35 said:
    A video published on Tuesday allegedly shows Apple's "iPhone 8" in quality control testing -- with a rear-mounted Touch ID sensor, despite most recent rumors discounting that possibility.
    FYI - this is the only site still posting this nonsense about rear-Touch ID. It is well known to be a fake injection into the news cycle.

The iPhone 8 was designed from the start without Touch ID. This much should be abundantly obvious to anyone even sort of paying attention.
    So how would you do ApplePay at a store with FaceID?

Would it scan your face first and then place over the creditcard machine?

What if you lose weight?  Your face can get smaller or bigger?

These are frivolous, unimpressive questions. Truly.

How is it even remotely possible that you don't understand how Apple Pay will work at a store? Have you ever used Apple Pay before? Do you hold your phone upside down and backwards while using it? No. The fucking phone is facing you. As long as iPhone's front sensors are even remotely angled toward you, it will work. AKA, every single reasonable scenario where Touch ID also works.

This isn't complicated, and the (seemingly intentional) willful ignorance on the subject is starting to piss me off.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 26 of 38
    I hope it's true that there's another option for TouchID, as much as I don't like it being on the back. Or is it sensing the wireless charging? 

There has to be a backup plan to the facial recognition - it seems too risky to try to replace a proven/widely used tech for something unproven and not widely adopted yet. Can you imagine if there was a bug that was found with the scanning tech once it was released? Apple's stock would plummet! It's kind of like how you have TouchID but can still use a passcode (even a 4 digit one) - there has to be a backup or progressive way to eventually deprecate. I hope this is so!

Now as for on the back. It does seem like the tester is placing their finger and the machine shows a reading.  If it's TouchID, would it makes sense if the rumors are true that the back is all glass and the entire back could be a big TouchID (and doesn't matter where you place your finger)? Or is it possible that wireless charging tech can sense a finger?
    This is a good example of how hard for Apple to get approval. If they wait for a given new technology to be “tried and true”, they are “not innovating” but if they try to release a new technology before it is “tried and true” then it is “too risky” 
  • Reply 27 of 38
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    TouchID on the back is LAME! It's worthless to unlock if your phone is sitting down flat. Now you have to pick it up. It's worthless in a car mount. Mounting TouchID behind the Apple logo would mean I won't be buying it. I'll hold onto my iPhone 6 for a 4th year. I'd be fine with that. I just spent a bunch of money yesterday ordering a 12.9" iPad Pro. Maybe I'll upgrade my Original Apple Watch with whatever comes out next?

I try not to worry to much about RUMORS. I wait until Apple actually shows off the device for the first time. A real product with real facts. I would rather Apple keep TouchID on the front where it is then throw it on the back. If they can't get it in the screen. It would be kind of Lame if Apple didn't have that at this point. Qualcomm already has shown a phone off that had that. A Demo phone but still has shown that it's possible and you will for sure start seeing other phones come out next year with that. Apple being behind yet again, doesn't look good.

Apple wants to charge Premium prices, and yet kind of been getting left behind in a number of area's.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 28 of 38
    jbdragon said:
    TouchID on the back is LAME! It's worthless to unlock if your phone is sitting down flat. Now you have to pick it up. It's worthless in a car mount. Mounting TouchID behind the Apple logo would mean I won't be buying it. I'll hold onto my iPhone 6 for a 4th year. I'd be fine with that. I just spent a bunch of money yesterday ordering a 12.9" iPad Pro. Maybe I'll upgrade my Original Apple Watch with whatever comes out next?

I try not to worry to much about RUMORS. I wait until Apple actually shows off the device for the first time. A real product with real facts. I would rather Apple keep TouchID on the front where it is then throw it on the back. If they can't get it in the screen. It would be kind of Lame if Apple didn't have that at this point. Qualcomm already has shown a phone off that had that. A Demo phone but still has shown that it's possible and you will for sure start seeing other phones come out next year with that. Apple being behind yet again, doesn't look good.

Apple wants to charge Premium prices, and yet kind of been getting left behind in a number of area's.
    Don't worry. iPhone 8 doesn't have Touch ID at all.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    It would be brilliant to have it in the logo!
    It would also double as a physical home button.

I hope it is true!

Apple actually patented putting the Touch ID in the Apple Logo....

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/07/apple-rethinks-the-home-button-for-touch-id-in-a-creative-way.html

avon b7
  • Reply 30 of 38
    sog35 said:
    Bro, why not have both?

Because it doesn't need both. It needs 1. 1 method that works. Touch ID works. Face ID will too. You forget that this nothing more than a means of not entering a password.
    sog35 said:
    There are some situations where Face ID just isn't practical.

Provably false. There is no single scenario where Face ID won't work where Touch ID used to work, and there are few scenarios where Face ID will now work where Touch ID did not. It is nothing but an improvement.
    sog35 said:
    And having 2 factor authentication with FaceID + TouchID would be nice.

You only need 1. Having 2 instead of 1 when you only need 1 is a detriment, not a benefit.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 31 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    eknight said:

I hope it is true!

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/07/apple-rethinks-the-home-button-for-touch-id-in-a-creative-way.html

Excellent find!
  • Reply 32 of 38
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Bro, why not have both?

Because it doesn't need both. It needs 1. 1 method that works. Touch ID works. Face ID will too. You forget that this nothing more than a means of not entering a password.
    sog35 said:
    There are some situations where Face ID just isn't practical.

Provably false. There is no single scenario where Face ID won't work where Touch ID used to work, and there are few scenarios where Face ID will now work where Touch ID did not. It is nothing but an improvement.
    sog35 said:
    And having 2 factor authentication with FaceID + TouchID would be nice.

You only need 1. Having 2 instead of 1 when you only need 1 is a detriment, not a benefit.
    FaceID won't work if you are wearing a mask in winter.

False. It will still work. I guarantee it. It is 3D IMAGING TECHNOLOGY. It is not just 2003-esque iPhoto face recognition. Even with your face fully covered by a ski mask, there are still loads of metrics that you're not hiding, like dimensions, and differences between dimensions.

(And for the record, if it didn't work while wearing a ski mask....Touch ID doesn't work while wearing gloves does it? Something to think about).

• Reply 33 of 38
    Why not use Siri for passcode?
    numbers plus voice analize? 
    This technique is two step authentication in one.
    It doesn't need to be speak loud.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    eknight said:

I hope it is true!

They have a patent for touch ID in the power button too:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=14/741,831&OS=14/741,831&RS=14/741,831
    http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/87/791/096/11.pdf

"In particular, the finger biometric sensor assembly may be carried by an input device, e.g., power button, along the relative thin edge of the housing. This may allow for the display to be larger, for example."

Putting it in the power button would mean not having to make a cut-out in cases on the back. Having touch ID on the back would be very problematic for cases with batteries in them. The internal battery is also directly behind it so it would mean having to sit that component on top of the battery and leave a gap the entire width and length of the phone and run cables from it over to the motherboard on the side. If it's not going to be used much due to Face ID, they could put it under the glass where it is just now.

Most people won't bother about touch ID if Face ID works as expected. It is reported to work in a few millionths of a second:

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-8-3d-face-scanner-work-millionths-second-report-2017-8

Intel has a depth camera shown here and they tested it on twins:

It will help people avoid activating Siri by accident when logging in. People won't even think about logging in any more, it makes the whole process transparent. Apple Pay can authenticate and hold the authentication for a few seconds to pay for things. The Apple Watch for example doesn't have touch ID, it is pre-authenticated and just verifies the watch hasn't been taken off. The phone can have a 5-10 second authentication and people can grip the phone more easily when holding it over the reader.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    sog35 said:
    A video published on Tuesday allegedly shows Apple's "iPhone 8" in quality control testing -- with a rear-mounted Touch ID sensor, despite most recent rumors discounting that possibility.
    FYI - this is the only site still posting this nonsense about rear-Touch ID. It is well known to be a fake injection into the news cycle.

The iPhone 8 was designed from the start without Touch ID. This much should be abundantly obvious to anyone even sort of paying attention.

If you lose weight, just go through the face scanning process again. For the most part, you don't lose weight that drastically like that, so it would be an annoyance to redo but it's a rare use case that happens over time.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Soli said:
    602warren said:
    robjn said:
    besides, it looks like an Apple logo not a Touch ID sensor.
    Maybe the Touch ID sensor is IN the Apple logo! 😱 *sarcasm* ... but low key wishes it were true…
    If it is on the back, wouldn't the Apple logo be the first place you'd think they'd put it?
    Might be a far reach for some users to make one handed? Especially on the Plus. Had a female co-worker try that out on her Plus, and she couldn't do it without using two hands, but I had no problem. Seems like there needs to be SOME form of touch ID on the 8, if for no other reason than Apple Pay. Not like they'd suddenly abandon that on the flagship phone. Im still a big fan of touch ID being in the expanded lock button.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    sog35 said:

If you lose weight, just go through the face scanning process again. For the most part, you don't lose weight that drastically like that, so it would be an annoyance to redo but it's a rare use case that happens over time.
    This is just more lack of understanding. Face ID (like Touch ID) will continue to LEARN you with every scan. Every scan adds to a data set, the more data, the better the aggregate.