Samsung to face off against Apple's 'iPhone 8' with 6.3-inch Galaxy Note 8 [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
Looking to finally eclipse last year's fire-prone Galaxy Note 7, Samsung on Wednesday announced the Note 8, which should ship to the U.S. on Sept. 15. [Updated with pricing]

The Note 8 includes a 6.3-inch, 2,960-by-1,440 OLED "Infinity" display, 6 gigabytes of RAM, and in the U.S. an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor. In other countries, the phone has a Samsung Exynos chip.

The front includes an 8-megapixel f/1.7 camera, while the back sports two optically-stabilized 12-megapixel cameras -- one a wide-angle f/1.7 module, the other a telephoto shooter with aperture topping out at f/2.4. Turning on "Live Focus" will selectively blur backgrounds, much like the Portrait mode on Apple's iPhone 7 Plus, while "Dual Capture" will stitch together images from both rear cameras while also saving them individually.

Another Apple-like feature is "Live Messages," which will send messages written with the Note's S Pen as GIFs that animate the way they were drawn.

Storage options include 64, 128, or 256 GB of flash storage, expandable via microSD. Among connection options are Bluetooth 5.0, USB-C, and a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack -- nevertheless, Samsung is promising IP68 water and dust resistance.

The device will ship with a version of Android 7.1.1, despite the recent announcement of Android Oreo.

Preorders begin on Thursday, and through Sept. 24 will include either a Gear 360 camera or a 128-gigabyte memory card/fast wireless charging bundle for free. U.S. buyers will only get access to "Midnight Black" and "Orchid Gray" colors, but support for many different carriers, including AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, U.S. Cellular, Xfinity Mobile, C Spire, Cricket Wireless, and Straight Talk. Outide the U.S., "Maple Gold" and "Deep Sea Blue" colors will be on sale.

Still under wraps is the device's exact pricing, though it should be higher than the Galaxy S8 or S8+, the latter of which starts at $674.99.

The Note 7 was a catastrophic failure for Samsung, costing the company over $5 billion as a result of two recalls connected with a series of battery fires. The company's reputation has rebounded somewhat thanks to the S8, but could still haunt the Note 8.

The phone's release date may put it toe-to-toe with Apple's "iPhone 8", which is expected to feature an edge-to-edge, 5.8 OLED display and 3D facial recognition, the latter a new arrival in the smartphone market.

Update: The Note 8 will cost $930 from T-Mobile, $950 from AT&T, or $960 from Verizon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    A stylus? Who wants to use a Stylus? Ew! Note: Apple Pencil is not a stylus so don't even mention that!

I don't get why they'd try and release anything around the time of the iPhone. Do they really think people are going to pay attention to a new Note model right in the middle of a brand new iPhone coming out? Who are they kidding!
    edited August 2017 doozydozenronnStrangeDaysSpamSandwichwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 2 of 43
    That 6.3" Galaxy would compete in the same category as iPad Mini, if it had a better OS. I notice that it will ship with an old version of Android.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 3 of 43
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Looking to finally eclipse last year's fire-prone Galaxy Note 7...,.
    I see what you did there.
    pscooter63ronn
  • Reply 4 of 43
    EngDevEngDev Posts: 76member

Storage options include 64, 128, or 256 gigabytes of RAM
    Minor error.
    ireland
  • Reply 5 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    macxpress said:
    A stylus? Who wants to use a Stylus? Ew! Note: Apple Pencil is not a stylus so don't even mention that!
    Apple Pencil is a stylus. A decent one, but still. It’s just meant for ‘Pro’ iPads and basically for artists or people who need to sketch and note take. It’s certainly not meant for use with a phone. But it is a stylus. You’ll only embarrass yourself trying to convince others it’s not and it won’t help your argument. It’s the chin, forhead and length of this here phone that makes it look awful IMO. And yeah, feck that stylus out the window. Samsung are drunk.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    macxpress said:

I don't get why they'd try and release anything around the time of the iPhone. Do they really think people are going to pay attention to a new Note model right in the middle of a brand new iPhone coming out? Who are they kidding!
    It's an opportunity to monetize Apple haters, at a time when Apple will be in the more "public" part of its cycle.

And for non-haters, it's akin to something I see locally: competing pharmacies set up literally across the street from each other.  Any mindshare, no matter how small.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 43
    macxpress said:

They will in some parts of the world that are not as Apple centric as the USA.
    Some mobile phone outlets here in the UK seem to be wall to wall Samsung (Galaxy A mostly)
    Out of curiosity, I went into one a  year or so back and asked about their iPhone deals. Reluctantly, they showed me but made it clear that iPhones were so 'old and decrepit' that I should only be looking at Samsung devices.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    macxpress said:

Some mobile phone outlets here in the UK seem to be wall to wall Samsung (Galaxy A mostly)
    Out of curiosity, I went into one a  year or so back and asked about their iPhone deals. Reluctantly, they showed me but made it clear that iPhones were so 'old and decrepit' that I should only be looking at Samsung devices.
    Samsung is just trying to "win" another round by saying they beat Apple to market with some forgettable new features. It's no matter because Apple dominates the tech and media world for the few days before and after every iPhone event. Samsung could release a 4k holographic phone for free on the iPhone event day and it would go unnoticed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    macxpress said:

A stylus is included because it's shipping with an app that replicates the original Palm Pilot.

They still place too much importance on being first to market.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    macxpress said:

Steerage towards profit.   Samsung gives stores more profit on their sales, plus Samsung requires you to buy the phones in bulk, so there is incentive to sell it inactive inventory [more you buy up front, better discount on wholesale price, but higher risk if it doesn't sell].  

Plus, Apple has what 3 to 5 phones as active skus and 4 iPads at any one time.  The fit nicely on a 4' wall display.  The sell themselves... so why invest in any more floorspace than necessary.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 43
    ac88ac88 Posts: 24member
    macxpress said:
    Bank robber Willie Sutton was once asked by reporter Mitch Ohnstad why he robbed banks. Sutton replied, "Because that's where the money is." That would be Samsung's answer, too. A lot of consumer products are released for the 4th quarter essentially taking advantage that stretch in the calendar when folks are going back to school, life gets a bit more routinized and people celebrate things like Thanksgiving and Christmas--leading to the busiest time of the year for consumer electronic product retailers. It only makes sense that Samsung copies Apple and scores of others in this strategy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 43
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    Not as impressive as the release of the Note 7 a year ago.  This was just an incremental improvement sans battery issues.  My 2 cents is that apple needs to give the next Apple Pencil W1 bluetooth chip as the beats solo3 and enable the Apple Pencil to work with the 8plus AND the iPad Pro.  Immediate has all the perks one the Note and if you don't want a stylus then you don't have to bother with it. I actually like using a stylus to take notes... as do most folks born in an era when you you actually had to write things down.

• Reply 13 of 43
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    Lol 

The note 8 is going to ruin its future by doing this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 43
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    It's amazing how they need to have so much RAM and it doesn't even run as fast or as efficient as an iOS device with half the RAM.
    edredmike1watto_cobrachiamagman1979
  • Reply 15 of 43
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    What is the size of this Note compared to iPhone 7 Plus? Anyone know?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 43
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    netrox said:
    It's amazing how they need to have so much RAM and it doesn't even run as fast or as efficient as an iOS device with half the RAM.

that is because Android and those great developers at Google do not understand proper memory management. This is what happen when the people writing the code do not understand hardware. From their point of view just add more memory to fix their lack of programing skills.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    ireland said:
    macxpress said:
    Apple Pencil is a stylus. A decent one, but still. It’s just meant for ‘Pro’ iPads and basically for artists or people who need to sketch and note take. It’s certainly not meant for use with a phone. But it is a stylus. You’ll only embarrass yourself trying to convince others it’s not and it won’t help your argument. It’s the chin, forhead and length of this here phone that makes it look awful IMO. And yeah, feck that stylus out the window. Samsung are drunk.
    Semantically yeah its a stylus, but it's not a stylus in the connotative meaning of the word, which in PDA computing has meant an instrument intended to operate the UI with. This connotative meaning of the word stylus is exactly what Jobs was referring to when he said if you see a stylus (needed to operate the UI), they blew it. For this reason the Apple Pencil is not what is meant by stylus, as it's for writing & drawing and not designed or needed to operate the UI.
    edited August 2017 pscooter63macxpresswatto_cobrachiabrucemc
  • Reply 18 of 43
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    AI_lias said:
    What is the size of this Note compared to iPhone 7 Plus? Anyone know?
    Android Central says the Note 8 is 162.5 mm x 74.8 mm vs. the iPhone 7 Plus at 158.2 mm x 77.9 mm.  So it is 4 mm longer but 3 mm narrower than the iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Reminds me of the meme that depicts iPhone 10 being the same width as the 5 but much longer.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    ireland said:
    macxpress said:
    Apple Pencil is a stylus. A decent one, but still. 
    No it's not. Your finger is a stylus. Pencil is just app based accessory. 
    watto_cobra