Apple TV losing market share to streaming set-top box rivals Roku, Amazon

Posted:
in General Discussion
Competitors to the Apple TV are continuing to outpace Apple's streaming set-top box, a consumer research report claims, with the proportion of U.S. households owning and using an Apple TV shrinking while Roku increases its strong lead.

Published on Tuesday, the study by Parks Associates found ownership of the Apple TV in the first quarter of 2017 made up 15 percent of the market, down from the 19 percent market share recorded by analysts in the same period in 2016. By contrast, Roku saw a year-on-year increase in its lead over its rivals, growing from 33 percent in last year's survey to a dominant 37 percent this year.

Amazon, with its Fire TV range, also increased its market share during the same timeframe, growing from 16 percent of households to 24 percent. The Google Chromecast saw a reduction in its install base share, moving down to 18 percent from 21 percent.

Parks Associates told AppleInsider that the study surveyed 10,000 US broadband households in both periods, with the results stemming from households that owned at least one streaming media player. In 2016, 36 percent of those surveyed owned at least one streaming player, reducing slightly to 33 percent in 2017.

A similar study by eMarketer in July also reports Roku as having a considerable lead over its rivals, with 38.9 million Americans claimed to be using a Roku-equipped device at least once a month, compared to 21.3 million recorded for the Apple TV.

"Roku emerged early as a U.S. market leader for streaming media players, and the company has held firmly to that position," said Parks Associates Senior Analyst Glenn Hower. "Higher-priced devices, such as the Apple TV, have not been able to keep up with the low-priced and readily-available Roku devices, which can be found at Walmart for as low as $29.99."

By contrast, the fourth generation Apple TV starts from $149, five times the cost of some Roku devices.

It is estimated by Hower that a third of U.S. households with broadband own a streaming media player. "The growth of the U.S. OTT (Over The Top) market provided consumers with unprecedented ease of access to video content. These streaming media devices make for quick and easy access to the top OTT libraries."

Parks Associates' report, "Reinventing CE: Transforming Devices to Service Platforms," also found 45 percent of U.S. households with broadband own a smart TV, 49 percent owned a game console, 35 percent had a Blu-ray player, and 32 percent owned a DVR.

While Apple lags behind its rivals in the results of the study, it is possible that Apple is taking steps to make the Apple TV more attractive to content consumers. The rumors of a 4K upgrade, as well as the addition of 4K-resolution content to the iTunes Store, may make the Apple set-top box more attractive to 4K TV owners eager to consume the higher-resolution content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    We know how much Apple values market share as measure of success. Having said that, a little advertising would help. Perhaps when the new version gets rolled out?
    jahblademike1doozydozenjbdragonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 57
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    Is Roku market share increasing b/c people are buy and using it or b/c Roku now included in some "Smart" TVs. https://www.roku.com/roku-tv
    edited August 2017 jahblade
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Revolutionizing the television watching experience is I think Apple's biggest missed opportunity in the past few years.  There were all of these rumors about the "car" and competing with Amazon and Netflix on content creation, while the Apple TV barely changed and didn't become nearly what it could have.  
    edited August 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Still a hobby.
    williamlondondoozydozenpscooter63[Deleted User]rossb2
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Most people I know are using the amazon fire tv for illegal streaming.
    jahblademike1paisleydisco
  • Reply 6 of 57
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

When I read this stuff anymore I only hear Richard Dawson's voice in my head saying "the survey say"

So they surveyed a 100 people and the declared the win is, but Apple never said how many apple TV they sold so they obviously can do the math with out knowing one of the numbers.

almondrocawatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 57
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    AppleTV, as opposed to all other Apple devices, is not so much about design. It's about content, and of course ease of use. AppleTV remote is not clever. I often accidentally startup AppleTV by moving the remote around. Finding something is not very good, Siri doesn't work impressively. Also, sometimes a movie is said to be only available for purchase, although it is also available on my Netflix subscription. So, also universal search is not yet convincing. Content wise – nothing that others offer as well. Apple does not offer something unique with AppleTV. AirPlay, maybe. But this lack of uniqueness, while AppleTV also cannot even serve as fashion statement makes it a regular player in the market. Nothing extraordinary as is usually Apple's DNA. And that's why I think they called it a Hobby before: they knew they could do something like that, but nothing special about it.
    edited August 2017 williamlondondws-2aaarrrggghbrucemcOferirelandGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 57
    I've been using a Fire TV on my UHD tv until Apple TV starts supporting 4k (hopefully next month.)
    My bottom line is that, as one who enjoys being in the iOS world, I can't wait to dump the Fire TV and get back to Apple TV. Lost of Airplay alone is killing me at the moment.
    Add to that that the Fire TV's interface is (at least for me) markedly inferior. In general, getting back to 'where you left off' is a major pain.
    Can't wait for next month.
    jahbladegilly33lostkiwipscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 57
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The streaming market is "still" a hobby for Apple.    Apple's going to spend 200+ % more money securing exclusive content for Apple Music than Roku made last year.  The money has never been in the streamer it's always resided in content and distribution.  Even if we talk hardware Apple is fine because every Mac and iOS based device is an endpoint.   These marketers need to stop wasting time and money providing worthless data. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 57
    maestro64 said:

When I read this stuff anymore I only hear Richard Dawson's voice in my head saying "the survey say"

So they surveyed a 100 people and the declared the win is, but Apple never said how many apple TV they sold so they obviously can do the math with out knowing one of the numbers.

+1 Like for the Richard Dawson reference, rather than Steve Harvey.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 57
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    i love the Apple TV, but wish some things were enhanced: obviously the remote being revamped is a start...simply moving it on my bed triggers an action, i can't tell which is the top and bottom in the dark, it's too thin (bought a case for it). Maybe getting into more gaming could help them also. Not that fixing a remote would help sales, but gaming would.

edited August 2017 irelandjahbladebloggerblogdoozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 57
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I'm not surprised.

1. There's still no Amazon video app, though one is promised to be coming.
    2. HULU's latest interface is complete garbage. It's frustrating and the font is too small to read even on 55" TV. (Not necessarily limited to Apple TV.)
    3. Netflix's latest interface with auto-preview is an annoying waste of data. (Not necessarily limited to Apple TV.)
    4. All of my Siri remotes become unresponsive shortly after powering on my Apple TVs for 15 seconds or so.
    5. One of my three Apple TVs reliably turned on my Sony TV and controlled the volume on my Yamaha receiver for over a year. A few months ago, it just quit. Resets, restores, nor HDMI cable replacement helped. The other two rarely, but sometimes, operate the Samsung TVs to which they are connected.
    6. It's almost impossible to orient the Siri remotes in the dark or without looking at them.
    7. It's almost impossible to hold on to a Siri remote - it's simply too small and slick. I had to add a third-party case just to make them usable.
    8. Even after more than a year, I still can't seem to figure out what button does what intuitively without having to stop and think about it.

I love Apple and I really wanted to love the Apple TV 4, but it's been more an exercise in frustration than anything else.

To this day, the interface on the Apple TV 3 still wins for simplicity and usability. The Apple TV 4 remains one of my least-liked Apple products ever.
    williamlondonaaarrrggghOferpscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 57
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I never use my Apple TV anymore. I don't dislike the Apple TV, but I mostly stream in 4K now. I have both a Roku and Fire TV, but those don't get much use either. I'm just using the built in apps on my TV, mainly Vudu for Dolby Vision. 
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Apple continues to ignore the basics.  MacPro updates?  Mac Mini Updates?  Truly moving the MacBook Pro forward technologically?  No, no, no.  Please Mr. Cook, a little attention to the foundational products.   Airports?  pretty much dead.  
    williamlondonbrucemcpaisleydiscozroger73[Deleted User]
  • Reply 15 of 57
    What's "illegal streaming"? Your own converted DVDs that you purchased legaglly long time ago and you do not want to swap discs in some funky device while purchased content is linked with only provider and can be watched only from remote servers managed by some corporation so you converted them to MP4/H.264 for home use?
  • Reply 16 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They should have kept Apple TV 3 around. I’d have bought a few spares. Apple TV 4 is overpriced for my needs.
    edited August 2017 williamlondonzroger73pscooter63
  • Reply 17 of 57
    maestro64 said:

This is anecdotal but I’m the only person I know with an Apple TV.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    What's "illegal streaming"? Your own converted DVDs that you purchased legaglly long time ago and you do not want to swap discs in some funky device while purchased content is linked with only provider and can be watched only from remote servers managed by some corporation so you converted them to MP4/H.264 for home use?
    I somehow doubt he means this.
    rhinotuffjahbladestompy
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Apple continues to ignore the basics.  MacPro updates?  Mac Mini Updates?  Truly moving the MacBook Pro forward technologically?  No, no, no.  Please Mr. Cook, a little attention to the foundational products.   Airports?  pretty much dead.  
    You’ll enjoy MacRumors much more.
    mike1stompylostkiwiStrangeDaysroundaboutnowsuddenly newton
  • Reply 20 of 57
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    I have an Apple TV 3 for the bedroom which works fine with my iPhone as a remote. 
    I also have an Apple TV 4 in the living room and in many ways it's remote is an improvement such as using Siri to open Netflix. 
    - The main problems with the current Apple TV are; it's about $50 too expensive and it doesn't have an Amazon app. (I use Airplay for that but it's a hassle.)
    edited August 2017