Apple shares 'Carpool Karaoke' ads featuring Queen Latifah, Cyrus family

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
Apple on Tuesday continued to plug upcoming episodes of "Carpool Karaoke," the company's second attempt at original streaming programming, with ads featuring guests Queen Latifah and the Cyrus family.

The first ad featuring Queen Latifah shows the musician, movie star and talk show host driving through the streets of what is presumably Los Angeles with Jada Pinkett Smith. The duo star in the film "Girls Trip," currently playing in theaters.

As expected from the show, Latifah and Smith drive around town singing their favorite songs and cracking wise. Later in the episode, the pair is joined by "Girls Trip" co-stars Regina Hall and Tiffany Haddish, who promote the movie to passersby with bullhorns and free T-shirts.

A second commercial advertises a forthcoming episode featuring the Cyrus family, including Miley, father Billy Ray, mother Tish, sisters Noah and Brandy, and brothers Braison and Trace. They sing songs performed by Miley, as well as other popular artists, take a family photo and get into the usual "Karaoke" shenanigans.

"Karaoke" premiered on Apple Music earlier this month with an episode featuring Will Smith and show creator James Corden. Apple has a slate of 16 episodes in the hopper starring a laundry list of celebrities including Metallica, Shaquille O'Neal, John Legend, John Cena, Joe Jonas, Ice Cube and more.

The show airs weekly to Apple Music subscribers. Last week, Ariana Grande and Seth MacFarlane sang show tunes as they made their way across L.A., while this week's episode, which went live today, features "Game of Thrones" co-stars Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Meh....
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    They are surprisingly entertaining though.
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    kevin kee said:
    They are surprisingly entertaining though.

I agree. I understand this show won't appeal to everyone and I would have no expectation of it being a huge breakout success or anything.

I really enjoy it though as does my wife. It's a fun show to watch and I enjoy the format more than just your regular late night talk show/celebrity interviews.

I'm not expecting Apple Music to become a Netflix competitor at this stage. Especially with shows like this. But it's a great bonus for subscribers if you do enjoy the show.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Since most people in California spend 33% of their lives in a car I can see why the folks at Apple thought the rest of us would find this appropriate, guess again Apple. 
    yojimbo007
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Meh....
    Meh... all you want to but it’s you who is out of touch. People love this stuff. Apple is getting its content feet wet with these easy to produce, reality type shows.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    lkrupp said:
    Meh....
    Meh... all you want to but it’s you who is out of touch. People love this stuff. Apple is getting its content feet wet with these easy to produce, reality type shows.
    ahh. which people is that? Got any rating data to back that up? 
    yojimbo007
  • Reply 7 of 8
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Cringe again!
    Embarrassing at best.
    how can this go on? 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    spice-boy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Meh....
    ahh. which people is that? Got any rating data to back that up? 
    The Youtube views give some idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nck6BZga7TQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx06c0ZEBMk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=329xjDM7YaE

The Adele, Bieber and One Direction videos have over 100m views and over 1m positive ratings. There's less than 1000 videos on Youtube that have over 200m views. The clips on Apple's page don't have many views (hundreds of thousands):

https://www.youtube.com/user/Apple/videos

The Rock Siri ad got over 14m views. It depends a lot on the people they get in the videos. The Late Late Show Youtube channel has a longer version of the one with the Game of Thrones actresses who aren't singers:

That got around 3m views. It's only been up a couple of days but without Corden directing the conversation, it's not as interesting. There are a few others here:

Corden is in the John Legend one for a while. Ariana Grande is a really good singer, that video is the only one trending on Youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/feed/trending  ).

The more popular the singers/actors are, the more people will watch the videos. I think it's a bad idea to have them do the show on their own without a consistent presenter because there's no direction to the scene or conversation. It looks like they were aiming for some interaction between different celebrities where having a presenter might have been a barrier to that but it doesn't work so well. Limiting the clips to Apple Music will limit the viewers too. It's added value for Apple Music subscribers.
    edited August 2017