Samsung confirms plans for smartspeaker challenging Apple HomePod & Amazon Echo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    We saw what they came up with when they copied the AirPods. I can't wait to see (and hear) the turd they'll produce. Good old Sammy, always good for a laugh.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 75
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Let me predict this. In a few months Samsung release their first smart speaker called SamPod which look exactly like HomePod and with similar but watered down technology, just a month before Apple release their HomePod. And you know what is going to happen then when eventually Apple release theirs? The internet is exploding with "Apple copy Samsung again!" everywhere. Fact be damn.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 75
    Love the title, "Working On", as if just copying is actual work.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 24 of 75
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    This is just lame, it's all meaningless garbage.
    The only surprising news would be if Samsung DIDN'T announce a smart home speaker.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it looks almost like a clone of Apple's HomePod inside and out. It sure wouldn't be the first time, or the second time, or the third time, oh hell, this will go on all day.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    kevin kee said:
    Let me predict this. In a few months Samsung release their first smart speaker called SamPod which look exactly like HomePod and with similar but watered down technology, just a month before Apple release their HomePod. And you know what is going to happen then when eventually Apple release theirs? The internet is exploding with "Apple copy Samsung again!" everywhere. Fact be damn.
    I would hope Sammy is just a bit smarter by now. Apple may be selling a really good-sounding and very solid home speaker/assistant come the end of the year, but the Homepod design to me is more than a bit meh.  I just can't past the resemblance to a roll of toilet paper, no insult intended. Yes I know a lot of folks here think it looks amazing. Different strokes. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 26 of 75
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    jbdragon said:
    This is just lame, it's all meaningless garbage.
    The only surprising news would be if Samsung DIDN'T announce a smart home speaker.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it looks almost like a clone of Apple's HomePod inside and out. It sure wouldn't be the first time, or the second time, or the third time, oh hell, this will go on all day.
    Yeah, and the sad thing is, they will be priced as premium as Apple's, but with more pointless (useless) features (gimmick).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Where are the articles for the Samsung mobility vehicle to compete with apple's car? 🚙🚙😁.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 75
    ljm828312 said:
    Where are the articles for the Samsung mobility vehicle to compete with apple's car? 🚙🚙😁.
    Apple doesn't have a car but surprisingly I read here today that Samsung has been involved with building cars for a while now, partnering with Renault. Who knew. 
  • Reply 29 of 75
    danvm said:
    igorsky said:
    It's not challenging HomePod, at all.
    Who knows. Samsung did buy Harman so they could have a Harman or JBL speaker for their smartspeaker. 
    The companies Samsung acquired in the process were JBL, Harman Kardon, Mark Levinson, AKG, Lexicon, Infinity, and Revel.  Plus they have access to licenses from Bowers & Wilkins and Bang & Olufsen.  Those are big names in the sound industry, with more experience than Apple + Beats.  I see no reason for Samsung to release a speaker with better sound quality than the competition, including Apple.  
    I'm sick.  Samsung owning Infinity.  God that hurts.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 773member
    igorsky said:
    Who knows. Samsung did buy Harman so they could have a Harman or JBL speaker for their smartspeaker. 
    My point is that if you’re an iOS user, you’re not buying a GalaxyPod (what else would these clowns name it?).  If you are then you’re a terrible consumer. It’s like buying an Android watch to use with your iPhone...you’re getting a fraction of the functionality without full integration.
    edited August 2017 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 75
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 773member
    danvm said:
    igorsky said:
    The companies Samsung acquired in the process were JBL, Harman Kardon, Mark Levinson, AKG, Lexicon, Infinity, and Revel.  Plus they have access to licenses from Bowers & Wilkins and Bang & Olufsen.  Those are big names in the sound industry, with more experience than Apple + Beats.  I see no reason for Samsung to release a speaker with better sound quality than the competition, including Apple.  

I see no reason for you to be posting here, troll.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 75
    kestralkestral Posts: 311member
    This is hilarious.

All these companies making a product I have zero desire for.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    igorsky said:
    danvm said:
    igorsky said:

I see no reason for you to be posting here, troll.
    No reason for you to be calling anyone names either. At least he posted info many of us weren't aware of. I know I wasn't aware how many audio companies Samsung had snatched up and am quite surprised at some of the names. 
    equality72521SpamSandwich
  • Reply 34 of 75
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    appleric said:
    In addition to premiering the Galaxy Note 8, Samsung on Wednesday said that it's working on its own smartspeaker, which will face off against products like the Apple HomePod, Amazon Echo, and Google Home.
    From my perspective, this is Amazon's territory now. "Alexa" is used a LOT more than Siri - Siri is not dependable. Amazon got this right with keeping the features simple yet deep. I don't see how Samsung's Bixby will be used in a home with iPads and Kindles. This A.I. -inside-speakers competition doesn't feel like a level playing ground, and it's success will be based on loyal consumers.
    Right... Dependable like zero... It's as crappy as all the rest. They just are crappy in different areas.

Its like people saying that actually use an imaginary Alexa, Apple has sold 3 times the watches in the same year so people got Siri on their wrist by the way, doesn't change the fact that beyond very small use cases, those ai assistant can't do shit no matter how you call them.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    danvm said:
    igorsky said:
    Actually, prior to the Samsung deal, Harman bought off B&O's Automotive division. The strategic driver behind the Samsung deal was getting a bigger foot into the automotive audio/connectivity field. Harman makes the vast majority of their revenue from OEM business in automotive. 
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Basically, a lot of people here don't seem to have a clue. The reason all those speaker/receive companies are consolidating is because people are tired of their really crappy sound no matter how much you pay for them. Why? Because the speaker and receiver part alone is not the issue. It's putting them in a particular environment that's unsuited for them, and not being able to adapt to the music or listener location that's the issue.

Apple is offering an adaptive to room, music, etc, minimum setup speaker.

None of those bozos producing traditional speakers or sound systems have the processing chops to do anything about this; they're as doomed long term as the traditional watch makers.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    EngDevEngDev Posts: 76member
    foggyhill said:
    Basically, a lot of people here don't seem to have a clue. The reason all those speaker/receive companies are consolidating is because people are tired of their really crappy sound no matter how much you pay for them. Why? Because the speaker and receiver part alone is not the issue. It's putting them in a particular environment that's unsuited for them, and not being able to adapt to the music or listener location that's the issue.

None of those bozos producing traditional speakers or sound systems have the processing chops to do anything about this; they're as doomed long term as the traditional watch makers.
    This post is a lot of nonsense. Seriously, what are you talking about?
    Soliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 75
    danvm said:
    rfrmac said:
    Why aren't we surprised.  Copy, Copy, Copy is all they know.  And be sure to introduce the product just before the others do their intro or product updates.  
    I suppose that Apple did the same as Samsung, copying Sonos, Denon Heos, Harman/Kardon and other wireless speakers manufacturers, right? BTW, H/K already had a speaker very similar to the HomePod, the Aura. And now Samsung acquire them. So I suppose that Apple copied a Samsung device.  
    Harmon/kardon also has their Invoke speaker with Microsoft's Cortana coming out in a month or so.

• Reply 39 of 75
    EngDev said:
    foggyhill said:

Maybe learn English or stop posting then.

The room acoustics and ambient sound, setup and placement is crucial to the sound you get..
    The number of people who buy speakers/sound systems and then put them in their room and it sucks ass and they are not satisfied is beyond measure.
    That's why the whole industry is slowly being decimated and consolidated; people prefer portable sounds to the actual sounds these systems produce.

The only place where those systems still make some sense is in home theater installations were the shear number of speakers overwhelms whatever deficiency there is and high fidelity is less important.

• Reply 40 of 75
    foggyhill said:
    EngDev said:
    foggyhill said:

Maybe learn English or stop posting then.

The room acoustics and ambient sound, setup and placement is crucial to the sound you get..
    The number of people who buy speakers/sound systems and then put them in their room and it sucks ass and they are not satisfied is beyond measure.
    That's why the whole industry is slowly being decimated and consolidated; people prefer portable sounds to the actual sounds these systems produce.

The only place where those systems still make some sense is in home theater installations were the shear number of speakers overwhelms whatever deficiency there is and high fidelity is less important.

You've presented absolutely no evidence for any of your baseless claims, just more nonsense (and ignorance).