Chamberlain ships MyQ HomeKit Bridge, bringing Siri control to its garage door openers

Posted:
in iPhone
After a demo of the product at the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show, Chamberlain is shipping its MyQ Home Bridge, adding HomeKit functionality to MyQ-compatible garage door openers and compatible lighting.

HomeKit compatibility with the new bridge is limited to the company's MyQ garage doors without built-in wi-fi, and its entire range of MyQ lighting. The company predicted initial shipments of the MyQ HomeKit Bridge in April.

Also at CES, the company also announced a more universal bridge adding HomeKit control to nearly any garage door opening system. It was slated to ship in July, but there has been no update on the product yet.

The MyQ Home Bridge has an introductory price of $49.99, but will climb to $69.99 at some date yet to be announced. A full compatibility list has been posted on the Chamberlain website, which is currently under significant load.

The Chamberlain Group is the corporate parent company to LiftMaster, Chamberlain, Merlin and Grifco. Chamberlain is partnered with Comcast, Wink, Next, and Alarm.com with its MyQ initiative. The MyQ Home Bridge does not necessarily grant HomeKit compatibility with Wink or Nest products.

Introduced in 2014, HomeKit allows users to connect to a variety of compatible so-called "internet of things" devices through the iOS Home app in conjunction with each other, as opposed to a series of apps with varying interfaces. The addition of Siri to the technology allows for complicated sequences of events previously set up to be induced from an iOS device by a single voice command.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Finally, but I'm still going to have to wait for that universal bridge... :(
  • Reply 2 of 12
    So glad I got in to order it this AM. Can't even load the chamberlain website at this time. 
  • Reply 3 of 12
    milsf1milsf1 Posts: 27member
    So glad I got in to order it this AM. Can't even load the chamberlain website at this time. 
    It looks like they know. I wonder if this is just from HomeKit interest, or someone DDOSing them. Lots of folks on their forums are unhappy with having to pay $50 for functionality that they felt the company had promised them over and over for about 2 yrs.

We have received reports of some customers experiencing connection issues accessing our website and are working to resolve this quickly.

— Chamberlain-DIY (@ChamberlainDIY)
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Well I have one!!!! I've been BETA testing mine now for a month!!! It works great. I can use my Apple Watch or iPhone. I can go say to my Apple Watch, "Hey Siri, Open Garage" and BAM, it opens right up. Then I can say "Hey Siri, Close Garage" and BAM, the light on my garage door flashes and beeps for a few seconds and then it starts closing.

Yesterday I installed the "Leviton DH15S-1BZ 15A Decora Smart Switch for iOS". I only got one to test it out. I looked at a few of them, and this one looked the BEST. So I replaced 1 of my light switches in my Garage to this. The switch on the far side that powers up 3 light fixtures. 2, 4 T8 Florescent Bulbs and one for 2 T8. So that makes 10 lights this switch powers on and off. It works like a normal switch in that you can manually turn the lights on/off and normal. It doesn't rock like a normal switch, it clicks and stays in the middle. What I liked about this one is that it works over Wifi, for far greater distance and reliability then Bluetooth. I was controlling it on the other side of my house. It also works with your normal wall plate. I needed that since it's in a duel switch plate. I plan to swap out the other switch next to it. So I can now say, "Hey Siri, Turn ON garage light" and it turns on. Of you hold the button down on your iPhone and just activate Siri that way, you can just just Turn on Garage light. My Dad lives with me and he loves it. Even better then Siri for the Garage Door.

Once you activate it using their app, it's now in Apple's Home App. You could even control it in there. But the other thing you can do is Automate things. There's not a log of light output from a garage opener. So why not Link the light switch to the Garage Door opener. So when you Say, Hey Siri,. Open garage, that your garage lights auto turn on. You could also set it up to turn off when you ask siri to close the garage.

Right now it works great. The one thing you have to make sure is that you have a White Neutral wire in your switch box besides the black wires and ground. You need a basic tester so you can figure out which black wire is the HOT wire, and the other going to your lights is the LOAD wire. I just pigtailed a short white wire to the other white wires for my switch. it's pretty simple. Make sure you kill the power at the circuit breaker when working on it. This is a great way to add Siri support to lights that you normally wouldn't be able to do with some Box you plug into a outlet and then a light into that.

The other things you can do is have it come on/off by a geofence, or you can set the light to go on/off by set times. Good for when you go on Vacation and want to make you home look more lived in. I plan to get a couple more shortly. They do currently cost $44.99 each. It's really not a bad price. Once you start using Siri, you want to use to do more and more things. This switch doesn't work with the Amazon ECHO in case you're wondering.

So I have a Helmet Speaker/Mic when riding my Motorcycle, connected by Bluetooth to my iPhone. I can now Siri open my garage door from down the block and pull right into my garage when I get to my driveway. That's pretty nice!!! You could go for a walk come home and just Siri open the garage. It's the main way I get in and out of my house. The front door is rarely used except for guests. It's that way for many people. The other nice thing. No need to keep a clicker in your car/truck. Park in the driveway light I do, someone could break by window and now get right into the garage and then right into the house. Even worse, break in while I'm gone someplace. Take it, plus by Registration. Something with my address and drive to my house, and click, right into the garage and into my house while I'm not home. No need for a clicker anymore, just use SIRI.

edited August 2017 hmurchisoneideardjohnsonjonj
  • Reply 5 of 12
    "HomeKit compatibility with the new bridge is limited to the company's MyQ garage doors without built-in wi-fi" The website (if you can get it to load) seems to tell a different story: "MyQ Garage (1st Generation), any Chamberlain Wi-Fi garage door opener, or any MyQ-Enabled garage door openers that use an internet gateway"
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    darrylk1 said:
    "HomeKit compatibility with the new bridge is limited to the company's MyQ garage doors without built-in wi-fi" The website (if you can get it to load) seems to tell a different story: "MyQ Garage (1st Generation), any Chamberlain Wi-Fi garage door opener, or any MyQ-Enabled garage door openers that use an internet gateway"
    The PR that I got for it was clear about it not supporting the wi-fi ones. I'll investigate a bit later.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Another option less expensive option is to run Homebrige on $10 Raspberry Pi. It integrates MyQ into HomeKit.
    gtj333
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gtj333gtj333 Posts: 20member
    Another option less expensive option is to run Homebrige on $10 Raspberry Pi. It integrates MyQ into HomeKit.
    Where can I learn more about this Homebridge option? My Chamberlain is old and it doesn't support MyQ - so it seems like I would need to buy 2 devices (My GargeQ and this 2nd item) for supporting HomeKit - which is a lot of money for just opening the garage door. Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    darrylk1 said:
    The PR that I got for it was clear about it not supporting the wi-fi ones. I'll investigate a bit later.
    That actually makes sense. The Non-WiFi units communicate with the gateway via proprietary wireless signal, this product replaces the gateway. The WiFi units presumably have the gateway built-in and therefore most likely not replaceable. The error may well be on Chamberlain's site.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    gtj333 said:
    Where can I learn more about this Homebridge option? My Chamberlain is old and it doesn't support MyQ - so it seems like I would need to buy 2 devices (My GargeQ and this 2nd item) for supporting HomeKit - which is a lot of money for just opening the garage door. Thanks.
    I used the Readme and the Wiki linked ;https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge
    Then you need to install the Liftmaster2 plug in ;https://github.com/luisiam/homebridge-liftmaster2. (Make sure to install via the Git repo as described in the Readme, the older versions don't work.  I wouldn't recommend attempting unless you have some linux experience.

One other benefit of Homebridge is you can add other non-HomeKit devices like Wemo, and can even control the power to my Sony TV.
    gtj333
  • Reply 11 of 12
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Can someone help me out here? I have been on the Chamberlain site and I am confused as to what I need to buy. I have a Whisper Drive Security+. It does not say Wifi on it anywhere. 

Does this mean my existing opener is MyQ enabled? 
    Do I need to buy a MyQ Internet Gateway?
    Do I only need the MyQ Homebridge?
    etc.

As other posters have said, the website says contradiction things and they offer so many different options that it is confusing.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jbdragon... How did you get into the BETA program... I am still waiting for this product to become available.  Would like to get into the beta program too.
    edited August 2017