New support document spells out compatibility of Apple's Pro apps with High Sierra

Posted:
in Mac Software
A support document published in advance of Apple's impending release of High Sierra details what versions of Apple's Pro Apps will work fine in High Sierra -- and what has been left behind.

In the document published on August 18, and an email sent on Tuesday and Wednesday to prior registered users, Apple notes that some versions of Apple Pro Apps aren't compatible with High Sierra and won't launch.

The oldest versions compatible with High Sierra are all the most recent versions, including Final Cut Pro X 10.3.4, Motion 5.3.2, Compressor 4.3.2, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, and MainStage 3.3.

Applications left behind by the update include Final Cut Studio, and Logic Studio. Both Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio are 32-bit apps, and were last updated in 2010.

The High Sierra update to macOS is intended as a refinement of Sierra, much like Snow Leopard was to Leopard, and Mountain Lion was to Lion. Improvements shown at the WWDC keynote include Safari refinements, Photos speed enhancements, the inclusion of Apple's APFS, H.265 support, and Metal 2. Any computer capable of running Sierra will be able to upgrade to High Sierra.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I wonder if it'll be possible to launch the FCP apps with a prelaunch hack, like it is with AirPort Utility 5.6.

And no mention of Aperture, which I know lots of people still use, hopefully they won't block it.

Sadly, we'll probably be stuck without the good Disk Utility 13, since it won't know anything about APFS volumes.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    @Darkvader Aperture works for me in High Sierra beta 17A352a, it even loads HEIC files! But Final Cut Pro X (10.3.4) seems to be broken after update.
    jeff_cook
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mrakoplas said:
    @Darkvader Aperture works for me in High Sierra beta 17A352a, it even loads HEIC files! But Final Cut Pro X (10.3.4) seems to be broken after update.
    thanks! 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Late 2012 iMac 21", 8Gb Ram, Core i5: Final Cut Pro 10.3.4 running, a little sluggish though on macOS 10.13 Beta (17A352a)
  • Reply 5 of 13
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    In anticipation of High Sierra and APFS, I partitioned my drive in order keep my legacy software working. I made a separate Time Machine backup it, and I will probably clone the drive onto a USB stick before I install the next version of macOS. 
    I am not sure if HFS and APFS can coexist on the same drive or not, but I have my bases covered either way. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Guess I'll be waiting on this update.... maybe 6 months.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    hexclock said:
    In anticipation of High Sierra and APFS, I partitioned my drive in order keep my legacy software working. I made a separate Time Machine backup it, and I will probably clone the drive onto a USB stick before I install the next version of macOS. 
    I am not sure if HFS and APFS can coexist on the same drive or not, but I have my bases covered either way. 
    I'll be doing the same as I still do some semi-regular freelance work that requires FCS. I asked here a couple of months ago about High Sierra and partitioning with an older OS, seems all good:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/2971420/#Comment_2971418
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kbeatkbeat Posts: 48member
    mrakoplas said:
    Final Cut Pro X (10.3.4) is working very well for me under High Sierra, as does Motion and Compressor. I can also confirm no issues with Aperture, although it's too dated at this point for regular use. I fired up an old library to test.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    darkvader said:
    Sadly, we'll probably be stuck without the good Disk Utility 13, since it won't know anything about APFS volumes.
    Surely it will, in the same sense it knows about Fat32.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    It looks like this is the purge of 32-bit software, which they will phase out in 2018:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/07/high-sierra-runs-on-all-sierra-capable-hardware-starts-process-to-kill-32-bit-apps

The following command will list 32-bit binaries in the command-line:

find /Applications/ -type f -perm +111 -exec file {} \; | grep "executable\ i386"

Sometimes applications are built as 64-bit but the frameworks/libraries/bundles that they use aren't. If they are going to stop the OS running 32-bit binaries, that's going to break a bunch of apps. XCode won't be able to run simulators of old iOS versions.

Quicktime Pro will go too and neither Quicktime X nor FCP X support all of its features like passthrough encoding.

I can understand removing the ability to produce 32-bit apps but why break all the runtimes? When they transitioned to Intel they put Rosetta in to run PPC software and it was needed for a couple of years. In the case of older 32-bit apps, some will never be updated again because they are just simple, useful utilities that do what they need to do and don't need to be updated. Surely they can have some compatibility software that just lets 32-bit apps still run without needing to partition and maintain a whole operating system.

edited August 2017
  • Reply 11 of 13
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    sennen said:
    hexclock said:
    I'll be doing the same as I still do some semi-regular freelance work that requires FCS. I asked here a couple of months ago about High Sierra and partitioning with an older OS, seems all good:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/2971420/#Comment_2971418
    Thanks for posting that. I would hate to buy an older used Mac just to run a few programs if I didn't have to. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    darkvader said:
    I wonder if it'll be possible to launch the FCP apps with a prelaunch hack, like it is with AirPort Utility 5.6.

And no mention of Aperture, which I know lots of people still use, hopefully they won't block it.

I'm running Aperture in the developer beta.  It works on both APFS and HFS+ in 10.13.  The only snag regardless of macOS version I've found is lack of RAW support for my latest camera a Lumix FZ2500.  I'd always assumed RAW support was system wide but it isn't.  Photos works fine with it just not Aperture.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

I'm switching back and forth without any issues (making sure not to let beta 10.13 update my Photos in the cloud).  You can just experiment with an external clone of your regular internal and update that to 10.13. That way you can enjoy the fun without risk.