Code42 ends consumer CrashPlan backup plans to prioritize business services

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Strange comment. I find most of my computing with Apple to be worth the rare instances of trouble. As a longtime Windows user and developer, it's night & day -- so little of my life is now spent dicking around in my desktop OS, reinstalling, fixing registry keys, etc...
    Stop dicking around and maybe you wouldn't have so many issues
  • Reply 22 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I've been using CrashPlan as a supplement to Time Machine, but only locally. I've meant to give them some money to get offsite, but they e-mailed me this morning about this change, so now I guess I'll be moving to Acronis or something. (I've already got Acronis through Parallels, but I've been having trouble getting it to work properly, and not flood my internet connection when it's running.)

The e-mail specifically said that my local disk backup would stop working after the end date. That's kind of annoying since it does contain archival material I might not have elsewhere (especially as I've had to have the hard disk in my Mac mini replaced).

• Reply 23 of 31
    Looks like I can finally delete Java from my iMac. A good thing IMHO. 
  • Reply 24 of 31
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Code 42 was officed out of the same building as one of my clients until they moved earlier this year. The parking ramp was much easier to park in when they moved. 

I used to use Crashplan but once Java was deprecated for MacOS and they showed no interest in rewriting their Mac software in something better supported, I started shopping. I ended up with Backblaze, which performs amazingly well. Runs circles around the old crashplan softwarw. 
  • Reply 25 of 31
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Crashplan's recent event provides more fuel for the argument that you need to have multiple backup solutions. What if they announced that their service was discontinued immediately or they had some major screwup where all the backups were lost? If Crashplan supported file versioning and it was your only versioned backup then you could be in a serious bind.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    linkman said:
    Crashplan's recent event provides more fuel for the argument that you need to have multiple backup solutions. What if they announced that their service was discontinued immediately or they had some major screwup where all the backups were lost? If Crashplan supported file versioning and it was your only versioned backup then you could be in a serious bind.
    Not really. 

Chicken little much?

i received an email from Crashplan today because I purchased a few years in advance at a low rate, so my subscription is still technically active. It's a very orderly transition with a clear roadmap. Even if I did nothing, when my current subscription runs out, I'd be automatically moved to a business product at a 75% discount for another 12 months. Even if they didn't change their model, I'd have to re-up my subscription sooner or later, and an expired credit card would be just as likely to trigger an issue. 

This announcement does nothing to make me believe any cloud backup service is more (or less) likely to suffer a major technical issue, hacker attack or sudden business failure that results in loss of data. 

Nothing to see here. 

Move along, people. 
  • Reply 27 of 31
    I agree with Rayz2016 - CP got their math wrong, and are now trying to cover their tails, probably to stem a shareholder revolt. The long and short of it is, there is no difference between CP Home and CP Business accounts, apart from the price - oh, and apart from, on Business accounts, you're limited to 5TB per device, whereas there was no such limitation with CP Home - yeah, 'go figure'! Claiming that they are doing this to shift their core focus to Business users is thus complete corporate B/S, double-speak, weasel words, call it what you will... since 1) you don't need to be a business to have a Business account; and 2) the product is virtually identical anyway. So, the only reason they are doing this is to extract twice the price from current users who don't defect to another product.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jdb8167 said:
    frannyor said:

I am just disgusted. And cheesed off that I have to find another backup option. Like most issues with Apple -- actually, all computer products -- this is way more trouble than it should be.
    I find BackBlaze better in almost every way than CrashPlan--moot now. CrashPlan never implemented a non-Java native client for the Mac despite promising for years. The only thing missing from BackBlaze is peer-to-peer backups which I never found very compelling anyway.
    If I'd known that Backblaze had a native client I would have gone with them sooner. Thanks for the info. 
  • Reply 29 of 31
    kruegdude said:
    Looks like I can finally delete Java from my iMac. A good thing IMHO. 
    Last thing keeping Java on my Mac is Adobe CS6. As soon as all my clients FINALLY transition to something modern, I can remove it, too. 
  • Reply 30 of 31
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    polymnia said:
    linkman said:
    Not really. 

Chicken little much?

i received an email from Crashplan today because I purchased a few years in advance at a low rate, so my subscription is still technically active. It's a very orderly transition with a clear roadmap. Even if I did nothing, when my current subscription runs out, I'd be automatically moved to a business product at a 75% discount for another 12 months. Even if they didn't change their model, I'd have to re-up my subscription sooner or later, and an expired credit card would be just as likely to trigger an issue. 

This announcement does nothing to make me believe any cloud backup service is more (or less) likely to suffer a major technical issue, hacker attack or sudden business failure that results in loss of data. 

Nothing to see here. 

Move along, people. 
    It's already happened. Two weeks is not a lot of time to handle this: https://www.networkworld.com/article/2225398/gartner-analyst-s-advice-to-customers-of-shuttering-nirvanix--panic-.html

Customers cut off without warning: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/27/livedrive-facing-legal-action-after-closing-cloud-backup-accounts

You are ignoring the pointy haired boss factor. Irrational decisions can have the same effect as technical issues. You are going to see more incidents like this.

Rayz2016
  • Reply 31 of 31
    jrg_ukjrg_uk Posts: 64member
    polymnia said:

Well, I thought I had purchased 5 perpetual licenses - and the ability to restore from my peer to peer backups even if Code42 went out of business. I also have been using a family subscription for about 8 years, now (I've been using CrashPlan itself since December 2007 - I checked) but a couple of systems are not backed up there, as it was sold "not for commercial use".

When they switch you over to their business offering - which will be at the end of your current subscription, if you don't do it yourself before - they say you'll no longer be able to access those peer to peer backups. So, no, not really all that orderly, in my book.
    Rayz2016