AppleInsider background color

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello AppleInsiderians.

I am a new user here but have been lurking for a while. I registered becuase I have a silly question to ask. I recently calibrated my display using a wonderful tool called SuperCal which is available at <a href="http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal"; target="_blank">http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal</a>;

I really recommend this program as it calibrates the display sooooo much nicer than the default settings Apple provides, text is clearer, images are sharper, and everything just looks nicer.

Anyway, on to the question. With the default color settings this pages background is a pale blue, but with the SuperCal calibration it is plum. So, what is the background color supposed to look be, blue or purple?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully reply, and expect to see more posts from me in the future!

Skipp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I've looked at the AI pages on several properly-calibrated displays and the darker background is definitely a pale blue, not purple. Check the RGB codes in the HTML for yourself. It's C6CCD0. To look purplish, the G value would have to be lower than the R value.

Oh, and welcome to AppleInsider!

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Darn, that is what I feared. I have calibrated it twice now and I got the same result both times, everything looks nice, but AI turns purple. Maybe I am calibrating something wrong, I am not sure. Does anyone out there have any experience with SuperCal? I am using an ibook 600. Feedback is appriciated.

Skipp
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    what are you calibrating it to?

alot of stuff is personally how you see it

at work (photo studio) we have stuff printed that we hold to the screen and match it up manually, that seems to work better then following the software calibrations
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    General question to anyone: Is it possible that his browser is screwing with the colors?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    not unless its set to change the code i doubt it
  • Reply 5 of 8
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Highly, highly unlikely, and he's not mentioned a problem anywhere else. Quick way to check: fire up DigitalColor Meter in Applications&gt;Utilities, set it to RGB as Hex Value, 8-bit, run the aperture over the appropriate area and see what's returned: as Brad says, it should give C6CCD0 on the darker areas and E2E1E1 on the background, which is basically a very very slightly reddish grey.

I had a play with SuperCal the other day, and, yes, it is so much more powerful than the standard display calibrator. Problem is, because it gives you the option to fiddle with the colour curves ad infinitum, you can quite easily get something that isn't quite right: took me four goes before I was entirely happy. Also, since color is enormously subjective, no two people are going to agree on what a given color is (hence Pantone charts and all the other guff you see lying around in print shops).

Keep playing, John, you'll get there eventually.

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Overhope ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Well, I adjusted it again, only this time I didn't mess around. I went to a room with natural lighting conditions (sunlight), I positioned myself so that I would have a natural viewing angle and I used a "real" mouse instead of the trackpad, but I still get the same result, display looks great, but AI is plum.

Overhope, I did what you said, and I did in fact get C6CCD0 for the darker areas and got E2E1E1 on the lighter areas. However, I got the same value in Digital Color Meter whether I was using my SuperCal profile or the default (LCD) profile. And CosmoNut, I tried it with IE 5.2, Mozilla 1.2 and Safari v60 all with the same results so I don't think it is a browser issue, but thank you for the suggestion.

I am really hoping there is a way to resolve this, because I don't want to go back to the default profile, and I don't want a color-blind display either.

Skipp
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I've visited AI on a lot of different browsers on multiple platforms, and I've always had it appear, relatively the same. My guess is that it's the Rochester weather, if I was your computer I would mess with you like that too.