Samsung chief Jay Y. Lee given five year sentence for role in South Korean corruption scan...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I wonder if he's related to Y. Lee Coyote...?
    SpamSandwichbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Samsung lies, cheats, steals, bribes, etc... yet Samdroids couldn't care any less so long as they get their next shiny new phone on time.

The myopic behavior of Samsung supporters is what I find to be even more disgusting.
    igorskyradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sflocal said:
    Samsung lies, cheats, steals, bribes, etc...
    Now this is a statement I can get behind. It can be backed up with plenty of evidence over a very long history and references the company, not its employees, the entire nation of S. Korea—which is the country that sentenced Lee—or all 4.4 billion people of Asia.

I don't agree with the "Samdroids couldn't care any less" comment because that would also include Apple and many other vendors using their components and foundries. Focusing on"their next shiny new phone" is too narrow a field when the issue seems to be at the top of the corporate structure, not specifically with an element dealing with their smartphones.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    sflocal said:
    Samsung lies, cheats, steals, bribes, etc... yet Samdroids couldn't care any less so long as they get their next shiny new phone on time.

The myopic behavior of Samsung supporters is what I find to be even more disgusting.
    As I said, before the thread took a diversion, Apple also supports Samsung by being one of its biggest customers. That was in reply to a specific post, but in a broader scale, no one should be looking at the alleged behaviour of just a tiny group of people within a huge international conglomerate and applying blanket statements, not only to the entire company, but anyone that supports it.

That's just crazy.
    singularity
  • Reply 25 of 35
    avon b7 said:
    sflocal said:

As I said, before the thread took a diversion, Apple also supports Samsung by being one of its biggest customers. That was in reply to a specific post, but in a broader scale, no one should be looking at the alleged behaviour of just a tiny group of people within a huge international conglomerate and applying blanket statements, not only to the entire company, but anyone that supports it.

That's just crazy.
    That all depends. Look at Enron or Wells Fargo. If the head is rotting why support the body? Maybe you specifically mean "huge international conglomerates" which would not include smaller, privately owned companies, but I can think of unethical organizations that use the protection of a incorporation to shield themselves from legal pitfalls (I won't name names here) that I wouldn't do business with.

If one really feels that Samsung is a completely rotten company, which is common stated on this forum, then perhaps people should boycott Apple products to try to force Apple's hand to not do business with Samsung. But is Toshiba et al. issue free?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Can we get back on topic?

How deep does this corruption go?
    Will this affect Samung’s bottom line?
    Is this guy an offering while many other guilty parties get to go free?
    Does this affect Apple’s dealings with the company?

• Reply 27 of 35
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    igorsky said:
    Just another Asian company doing whatever it takes to win, including breaking the law. Move along, nothing to see here. Everyone in the world who helps support these clowns by buying their products should feel proud of themselves.
    Isn't that what Microsoft did for years to keep Windows on the top of the hill? Or Volkswagen with emissions? Or any other number of companies fixing prices etc. Even Apple got hauled over the coals over accusations that it was not being competitive with eBook pricing. It's not an 'Asian' only thing.

And don't forget that Apple 'supports those clowns' like there's no tomorrow, helping to push Samsung earnings to their highest ever levels.
    Amusing that you defend Apple's competitors at every turn (even when arrested for corruption...in Korea no less) and throw shade on everything Apple does but whine when you are called a troll.
    Ah! So now I'm defending Samsung?
    Yes, with false equivalences like equating Samsung's corruption charges with Apple's eBook deal.
    No. I am not equating anything. Simply putting some sorely needed balance into the claim.

Btw, Apple was found guilty of conspiracy to harm consumer interests through pricing. The US Supreme Court even refused to hear it's Appeal. The original ruling was very, very clear in spite of Apple's claims.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-ebooks-idUSBRE9690GE20130710
    Re-read your original post. It is a false equivalence argument. You aren't required to acknowledge it for it to be true,
    baconstangwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 28 of 35
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    sog35 said:
    igorsky said:
    sog35 said:
    igorsky said:
    Just another Asian company doing whatever it takes to win, including breaking the law. Move along, nothing to see here. Everyone in the world who helps support these clowns by buying their products should feel proud of themselves.
    Come on AppleInsider editors.

This type of racist comments should not be even allowed on this forum.  Especially after what has happened recently.

Igorsky flatout generalizing and calling Asians cheaters and law breakers.

Delete this comment immediately or I will have to esculate
    Again, nowhere did I state that all Asians are cheaters and law breakers. However this type of behavior by Asian companies has been well-documented, and I'm simply referencing that. You sound like you're 18 years old.
    Funny how you don't mention the race of other companies when they do bad things.

Well documented my ass.  Are you telling me white nations don't have similar well document corruption?  Ever race that ever existed has well documented corruption. So why even bring up the word Asian?

By the way I'm both of White and Asian heritage.  I think I can speak of this matter better than you.  And I guarantee that most Asian people would be offended by what you wrote. I'm not going to accuse you of being a racist.  But the very fact that you are not willing to simply delete the word Asian speaks volumes.
    I took Asian in this context as a geographic description over racial.  As in Asian vs European markets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardlevick/2015/01/21/new-data-bribery-is-often-an-unspoken-rule-in-china/#712e036c79c6

https://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Japan is in the same yellowish range as the US but everywhere else trends much redder.

Also citation needed regarding what "most" Asians would be offended by. Don't even try to pull the Asian card on me. I beat you by 50%.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Soli said:
    Can we get back on topic?

How deep does this corruption go?
    Will this affect Samung’s bottom line?
    Is this guy an offering while many other guilty parties get to go free?
    Does this affect Apple’s dealings with the company?

You COULD google and see that Korea got rid of a president over it...so "how deep" is...actually just business as usual.
    Will it affect Samsung?  Nope.
    Is he a scapegoat?  Sure.  High profile conviction to show "we are solving corruption".
    If stealing IP didn't impact Apple's dealing with Samsung then a Potemkin conviction of some Samsung executives won't either.

All the Koreans I've spoken too have been both surprised and jaded about the whole thing.  Surprised at how far it's gone and jaded in thinking everyone gets a pardon eventually.  Watching Korean TV news and listening to the kibitzing around the table is amusing...at least when I'm not down $200 playing cards with these guys.

Whether Chaebols will go the way of the Zaibatsu's and evolve into Keiretsus remain the be seen.  Drawing too much parallelism between Japan and Korea is not necessarily a good thing to do...
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    igorsky said:
    Isn't that what Microsoft did for years to keep Windows on the top of the hill? Or Volkswagen with emissions? Or any other number of companies fixing prices etc. Even Apple got hauled over the coals over accusations that it was not being competitive with eBook pricing. It's not an 'Asian' only thing.

And don't forget that Apple 'supports those clowns' like there's no tomorrow, helping to push Samsung earnings to their highest ever levels.
    Amusing that you defend Apple's competitors at every turn (even when arrested for corruption...in Korea no less) and throw shade on everything Apple does but whine when you are called a troll.
    Ah! So now I'm defending Samsung?
    Yes, with false equivalences like equating Samsung's corruption charges with Apple's eBook deal.
    No. I am not equating anything. Simply putting some sorely needed balance into the claim.

Btw, Apple was found guilty of conspiracy to harm consumer interests through pricing. The US Supreme Court even refused to hear it's Appeal. The original ruling was very, very clear in spite of Apple's claims.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-ebooks-idUSBRE9690GE20130710
    Re-read your original post. It is a false equivalence argument. You aren't required to acknowledge it for it to be true,
    Re-read what my first post was replying to:

"Just another Asian company doing whatever it takes to win, including breaking the law"

False equivalence? Not in the slightest.

• Reply 31 of 35
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    igorsky said:

This is not true. This is the whole reason Apple is quarreling Qualcomm because Qualcomm is upset Apple testified in that case. 
  • Reply 32 of 35
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Nice to see that some countries actually try to clean house.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 33 of 35
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    sog35 said:
    5 years my ass.

Dude will be pardoned in 12 months.
    you have no clue the way things work over here. you said he would have been pardoned already. I said that he will get caught that it will not get a pardon (not based on my hatred for Samsung but on my experience and first hand knowledge from aids in the gov't and friends who are higher up in Samsung). he will not be pardoned. the Korean people are tired of big, rich companies getting away with everything especially Samsung and Lotte. 
    SpamSandwichnetmage
  • Reply 34 of 35
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

Soli said:
    This is surprising considering Samsung's pull with the S. Korean gov't. I'd say forr him to get 5 years means this is a ridiculously more corrupt than any of us will ever know. It does give me hope that we could see some similar justice be handed out in the US shortly for current corrupt activities.
    there is a new gov't leader now. things are corrupt here, but that is true of any country. what is different here is that the people are now holding these people accountable- the gov't is no longer the safe place for jobs, the people are voting so. corruption is going down (though if history has shown us anything in politics it is that corruption always comes back)
    SpamSandwich