Apple's 'iPhone 8' rumored to top out at 7.5W for wireless charging

Posted:
in iPhone
Despite more powerful options being available, Apple will allegedly be going with technology capping the "iPhone 8's" wireless charging at 7.5 watts, resulting in slower speeds.

The company is skipping the primary feature of the Wireless Power Consortium's Qi 1.2.x standard, which is 15-watt "fast" charging, Japan's Macotakara claimed on Saturday. The website cited an "information resource that is well versed in WPC."

The 15-watt specification is already offered by some Qi charging pads. Compatible Android phones have also been on the market for some time, making it unclear why Apple would skip the format.

It's possible that like the Apple Watch, third-party "iPhone 8" chargers will also need an Apple-certified chip to work, Macotakara noted. Indeed the Macotakara source suggested that it may be possible to use a single charger to power both a Watch and the "iPhone 8."

The "iPhone 8" should primarily feature a 5.8-inch OLED display and 3D facial recognition, and be announced at Apple's usual September press event. Also expected are an "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus," which should have 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCDs, but include some "8" features, wireless charging among them.

All of the phones may get fast cable charging, which could mitigate concerns about wireless support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 123
    Obvious..need a selling point like faster charging for iPhone 9. 🤷🏽‍♂️
    cornchipirelandmazda 3smikesay98Avieshekkitatittyler82
  • Reply 2 of 123
    Maybe they're worried it could burst into flames ...
    Rayz2016cornchipirelandjony0jahbladebaconstangMetriacanthosaurusdws-2
  • Reply 3 of 123
    :/ weak...
  • Reply 4 of 123
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Obvious..need a selling point like faster charging for iPhone 9. 🤷🏽‍♂️
    How is 7.5W obvious?

Will an included PSU be included with the phone so that it will get fast charging? The iPads doesn't get it yet. How about an included induction charger? To me, none of this seems obvious.
    doozydozenwatto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 5 of 123
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    There is probably an engineering reason like say size of space in the smaller phone than competition and also capacity to dissipate heat. Cause any wave not converted into power becomes heat.
    cornchipdoozydozentmaywatto_cobrajahbladenetmagebaconstangMetriacanthosaurusdws-2
  • Reply 6 of 123
    rawkfistrawkfist Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Oh just chill. 7.5W is still good. Its very slightly less than lightning which is what? 10 or 12W max? We dont need anymore battery explosions
    edited August 2017 bb-15pscooter63cornchipwatto_cobrajahbladeStrangeDaysbaconstangMetriacanthosaurusdws-2
  • Reply 7 of 123
    Apple wants AppleInsider and other publications to complain about the slower charging speed while ignoring the very real possibility of explosions. Of course, if explosions occurred with a faster charging speed, AppleInsider and other publications would complain Apple didn't use the slower charging speed as a first step to gaining experience with the charging technology. I write "ignoring" due to the fact this article doesn't mention the explosion prevention possibility at all.
    watto_cobrabradford_kirbyjahbladelkrupp
  • Reply 8 of 123
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Contrary to popular belief I think Apple based components on cost.  Remember they are adding wireless charging to all "three" phones.  So companent cost is important for the 7s and 7s plus. Buying an older version means it probably costs Apple lesS. 
    doozydozenAvieshek
  • Reply 9 of 123
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rawkfist said:
    Oh just chill. 7.5W is still good. Its very slightly less than lightning which is what? 10 or 12W max? We dont need anymore battery explosions
    iPad Pro can charge at 29W. iPad charger regular is 12.5W
    edited August 2017 doozydozencornchipAvieshekdws-2
  • Reply 10 of 123
    rawkfist said:
    What does "slightly less than lightning" mean? Are you referring to the natural phenomenon or do you have some inside knowledge of what Apple's Lightning connector is capable of outputting as a physical connector even though it uses USB as the medium? :confused:
    doozydozenwatto_cobraAvieshek
  • Reply 11 of 123
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Maybe they're worried it could burst into flames ...
    Exactly!

Lithium batteries are notorious for catching fire during charge cycles.
    watto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 12 of 123
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ireland said:
    rawkfist said:
    iPad Pro can charge at 29W. iPad charger regular is 12.5W
    So?    Entirely different batteries with a far larger surface area for cooling.
    tmaymattinozcornchipdoozydozenwatto_cobrajahbladenetmage
  • Reply 13 of 123
    What is so difficult with plugging in an iPhone to charge? Wireless charging is NOT important, to me at least.
    crossladpscooter63Rayz2016macpluspluscornchipcbrookerjude2012watto_cobrajahbladenetmage
  • Reply 14 of 123
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Having to put it on a pad isn't much of a step beyond plugging it in. 
    Anywhere in the vicinity would be impressive. Otherwise meh.
    cbrookerwatto_cobrajahbladebaconstang
  • Reply 15 of 123
    justme12 said:
    What is so difficult with plugging in an iPhone to charge? Wireless charging is NOT important, to me at least.
    Such a weird argument to suggest that inductive charging may come to the iPhone because plugging it in is somehow "difficult." Were you also on the review of the Alpine's iLX-107 saying "What is so difficult with plugging in an iPhone for CarPlay? Wireless CarPlay is NOT important, to me at least."?
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 16 of 123
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    I'm ok with this. Wireless charging on the next iPhone is a bonus to me. In real world usage, is probably still charge my phone via a cable so that I can actually use my phone. 

What would be be nice is if Apple could somehow allow for dual charging (wired and induction) at the same time which would allow for faster charging AND still allow my phone to charge when I remove it from the induction charger. Perhaps this is apple's implementation thats why the lower wattage. 
    Avieshek
  • Reply 17 of 123
    Most people I know have no clue about fast charge and they still use the tiny charger that came with their iPhone because it's convenient, and that charger delivers 5W. To them, wireless chargers deliver a 50% charge speed improvement and the convenience of not having to connect the cord.
    I see wireless charging as a wonderful complement to Wireless CarPlay. I've been using a Qi charge tag with my iPhone for over a year, and I love it. While it's not perfect, and I certainly would like to see faster charging, it's great to keep the phone topped off, and it's incredibly convenient. I'm very happy Apple adopted the feature and the dominant Qi standard, which guarantees compatibility with pretty much every car and adapter out there.
    Soliradarthekatjahbladeddawson100
  • Reply 18 of 123
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    Wouldn't 7.5W wireless charging be faster than the 5W wired charger included with every iPhone?
    mattinozpscooter63GeorgeBMacddawson100dws-2
  • Reply 19 of 123
    justme12 said:
    The point of a “wireless” standard is you can lay your phone on a table in a train, plane, airport, café or automobile and it starts charging. That could be very useful.
    StrangeDaysMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 20 of 123
    edred said:
    Wouldn't 7.5W wireless charging be faster than the 5W wired charger included with every iPhone?
    Yes. It’s going to be a sizeable battery in this phone though. I use an iPad charger for my iPhone myself (12.5).
    edited August 2017 edredjahblade