Pictures of alleged 'iPhone 8' OLED screen, motherboard escape supply chain

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
A new pair of parts reportedly from the "iPhone 8" have surfaced, with one of them a single layer of the device's L-shaped motherboard, and the other what is claimed to be the edge-to-edge OLED screen for the phone.

A picture of the board was posted by Benjamin Geskin on Twitter on Sunday. It allegedly depicts one of the two layer of the "iPhone 8" motherboard, seemingly confirming reports from as early as November 2016 claiming that the device would have the stacked board.

No chips are in place on the board.

#iPhone8 PCB

(One of the 2 layers) pic.twitter.com/VAYhzQnMuS

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)

Also shown on Sunday is what is said to be the screen assembly for the device. Reportedly, screen assemblies are being sold for over $5000 on the Chinese black market.

#iPhone8 Displays

At the moment, the price of these displays is US$5000 on the Chinese black market.

(via https://t.co/5NIfQH97FV) pic.twitter.com/zFMSWsyPAR

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)

There is no way to authenticate either part.

The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. Also expected is a new 3D facial scanner, possibly supplanting Touch ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    With the release date is only a month away, at this point, it wouldn't surprise me anymore if more leaks were coming up. I am pretty sure the assembly line is working super hard right now.
    watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 2 of 19
    kevin kee said:
    With the release date is only a month away, at this point, it wouldn't surprise me anymore if more leaks were coming up. I am pretty sure the assembly line is working super hard right now.
    With nobody going home and eating their noodles at the the workbench...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This looks very different from the logic board we saw last week. Am I mixing up what part I'm looking at?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Soli said:
    This looks very different from the logic board we saw last week. Am I mixing up what part I'm looking at?
    The logic board last week was for the 7S / 7S Plus
    Soli
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Soli said:
    The logic board last week was for the 7S / 7S Plus
    Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    No SIM or is it on the other / other layer?

• Reply 7 of 19
    mattinoz said:

It is now all E-Sims. No physical chip will be necessary on most carriers.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    mattinoz said:

I sure hope so.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    mattinoz said:

I do wonder if that is one of the differences between the 7s and the 8. As the 7s leaked boards have SIM slot contacts. Will the 8 have mutli esim support allowing data routing via a local plan when overseas while keeping your home account online for Voice and SMS. Even on demand auto switching would be impressive.

7s still represents upgrade on Cariers that don't support eSim but it would make it clear they are holding back better options from happening. 
  • Reply 10 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Business as usual. it's called controlled leaks.Keeps hype and interest going till release.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Who needs a screen assembly for the cost of $5000? Are some people attempting to put together their own iPhones? Or do they intend to sell it to iPhone competitors for the purpose of copying? That's really a pretty sad state of affairs. What puzzles me is how there are people claiming iPhones are nothing special and there are plenty of Android flagship smartphones just as good if not better. So, why are people trying to steal iPhone components if they're nothing special? Who exactly is interested in these components? I never see these 'theft of components' articles for Samsung flagship smartphones. If Galaxy S8 smartphones are of higher quality than iPhones, why weren't people stealing those components? Seriously, a chip-less PCB can't be of much use to anyone.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mattinoz said:
    Will the 8 have mutli esim support allowing data routing via a local plan when overseas while keeping your home account online for Voice and SMS.
    Great idea. I want dual e-SIM too
  • Reply 13 of 19
    The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. 
    So when this iPhone turns out to not have a literal edge-to-edge display (just nearly so, for the sake of usability), as we've seen from literally every mockup based on actual parts or schematics, are we going to stop using this expression? Or redefine it?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    It seems to me
    - the motherboard is way to big for an iPhone
    - the area for the SoC is to small for an A11
    - the areas for discrete components are gigantic

This is an old board.

• Reply 15 of 19
    The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. 
    So when this iPhone turns out to not have a literal edge-to-edge display (just nearly so, for the sake of usability), as we've seen from literally every mockup based on actual parts or schematics, are we going to stop using this expression? Or redefine it?
    So long as it's a rumour I see no problem with AI writing "is rumoured to feature edge-to-edge OLED panel."

smalm said:
    It seems to me
    - the motherboard is way to big for an iPhone
    - the area for the SoC is to small for an A11
    - the areas for discrete components are gigantic

This is an old board.
    It is board 1 of 2 that are apparently stacked so perhaps the A-series chip takes up more of the surface area on the other chip.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 16 of 19
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Yes, you are right!
    This looks like the PCB for the SoC and NAND.
    So the motherboard shown here is much smaller than I first thought.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mattinoz said:

It's just one of the two layers of PCB. The SIM slot could be located on the back of the lower RF section of the board shown here.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Come Sept 12, these black market parts will be worth a lot less.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Come Sept 12, these black market parts will be worth a lot less.
    If it's 2 weeks away shouldn't we expect an announcement this week? Or, if it's being held at the Steve Jobs Theater can they hold off with the announcement since the venue booking will not be as leakable? My guess is the venue is book much longer in advance and hasn't been an issue in the past and that the week+ is to give people enough time to make travel arrangements, so I'm guessing that we won't see any change with the timeframe between invitations and event dates being held at Apple Park.