Apple said to unveil 'iPhone 8,' 'iPhone 7s' and more at Sept. 12 event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2017
Apple's highly anticipated product unveiling is reportedly set to take place in just a few weeks -- on Tuesday, Sept. 12 -- where the company is expected to introduce the all-new "iPhone 8," as well as other products.

In addition to the new premium "iPhone 8" with an edge-to-edge OLED display, Apple is also expected to unveil an "iPhone 7s" lineup that will serve as a successor to the iPhone 7. The Sept. 12 event date was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

If Apple sticks to its usual release schedule, the new handsets should be released to customers a few days later, on Friday, Sept. 22. However, a few years ago Apple took two and a half weeks to launch the iPhone 6s, meaning Friday, Sept. 29 is also a possibility.

Regardless, the "iPhone 8" is expected to come in extremely limited quantities, and carry a high price tag, thanks to an array of new technologies, including the border-less display and new facial recognition technology. For customers not interested in the expected $999-and-up pricing of the "iPhone 8," Apple will also offer "iPhone 7s" models with upgraded components from the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

All three handsets are also expected to feature wireless charging, in addition to quick charging capabilities with USB 3-capable Lightning ports.

But the "iPhone 8" in particular has generated significant interest, given that Apple has not issued a major redesign for its flagship handset since the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus generated blockbuster sales in 2014. The prospect of a new-look iPhone, with a number of new technologies, has led to considerable buzz for this year's event.

In addition to the trio of iPhones, a new Apple Watch with integrated LTE radio, for wireless connectivity on the go without an iPhone, is believed to be on tap for the event.

The Apple TV is also expected to get a refresh, adding support for 4K ultra-high resolution content, as well as HDR for better colors and contrast when streaming content.

The Journal said Apple hopes to hold the event at the new Steve Jobs Theater at its Apple Park headquarters. However, because the so-called "spaceship" campus is not yet completed, construction could affect either the location of the event or the timing of the launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 125
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Even something that is a given is presented as a rumor. "Said" and not announced?
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 2 of 125
    Wallet at the ready. One 8, one LTE Watch. (AppleTV? I'll wait and see.)
    jahbladejbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 125
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    kent909 said:
    Even something that is a given is presented as a rumor. "Said" and not announced?
    Yeah, because it hasn't been announced yet. Until Apple sends out invitations, this is just that — a rumor.
    Solitallest skilchia
  • Reply 4 of 125
    kent909 said:
    It's not announced yet.  This is a rumor about the date of an announcement.
    Solichia
  • Reply 5 of 125
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Sorry about earlier comment, the news was in WJ and the timing is right.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 6 of 125
    *applies for new credit card*
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 125
    There goes the bank
    jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 125
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    kent909 said:
    I won't point out what two others have mentioned, but I am curious why you'd say this is announced. You may expect that the sun will rise tomorrow but even that is just a hypothesis.

Wallet at the ready. One 8, one LTE Watch. (AppleTV? I'll wait and see.)
    A new Watch—I really want to be able to record my swimming instead of just doing an open workout on my Series 0—and 4K+HDR Apple TV are a likely a go, but I'll have to see what an LTE Watch and iPhone 8 can do for me before I make a decision.

wood1208 said:
    So stupid no matter who posts it and which web sites.
    What is stupid?
  • Reply 9 of 125
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If true, I wonder why Apple isn’t going to use level 2 wireless charging, at 15 watts, rather than level 1 charging, at 7.5 watts. I can say for certain that my 7+ charges a lot faster using a 12 watt iPad charger than the measly 5 watt charger that comes with it. It even charges a bit faster using the 29 watt Macbook charger that I bought as the primary charger for my iPad Pro 12.9”, which charges a lot faster with that than the 12 watt charger.

i hope Apple is giving up on those old chargers this year. The iPhone really needs at least an 8 watt charger, and the iPad Pro 12.9”, a 16 watt model.
    jax44argonaut
  • Reply 10 of 125
    sog35 said:
    Prediction:  Apple will widen the gap between the top end and the mid tier.  Just like they did for iPad

iPhone 7s - $549 - 32 GB, $649 128GB

iPhone 7s+ $679 - 32 GB, $779 128 GB

Apple won't be selling 7 and 7+.  The low tier will be the SE.

iPhone X $949 - 128GB, $1049 256 GB, $1149 512 GB
    Nope.

While that lineup might look cleaner to a casual observer, Apple doesn't care about that. They care about having iPhones at several price points. Also, the 512 GB iPhone X will not be that cheap.

iPhone 7 $549 - 32 GB, $599 128 GB.
    iPhone 7 Plus $649 32 GB, $699 - 128 GB.

iPhone 7s - $649 - 32 GB, $749 - 128 GB, $849 - 256 GB.
    iPhone 7s Plus - $749 - 32 GB, $849 - 128 GB, $949 (this model will come down in price by $20).

iPhone X - $969 - 64 GB, $1069 - 256 GB, $1269 512 GB.
  • Reply 11 of 125
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 said:
    Prediction:  Apple will widen the gap between the top end and the mid tier.  Just like they did for iPad

Strong statements.
  • Reply 12 of 125
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    I wonder if the iPhone " Edition " will go with a USB C connector?.
    i know, probably not, but seeing as it is kind of an outlier model, maybe the first to transition.
  • Reply 13 of 125
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jax44 said:
    i know, probably not, but seeing as it is kind of an outlier model, maybe the first to transition.
    On the device or PSU? If you mean on the device then I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • Reply 14 of 125
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    melgross said:
    If true, I wonder why Apple isn’t going to use level 2 wireless charging, at 15 watts, rather than level 1 charging, at 7.5 watts. I can say for certain that my 7+ charges a lot faster using a 12 watt iPad charger than the measly 5 watt charger that comes with it. It even charges a bit faster using the 29 watt Macbook charger that I bought as the primary charger for my iPad Pro 12.9”, which charges a lot faster with that than the 12 watt charger.

i hope Apple is giving up on those old chargers this year. The iPhone really needs at least an 8 watt charger, and the iPad Pro 12.9”, a 16 watt model.
    I wondering how wise it is charging at higher wattage. Presumably a higher wattage means not only quicker charging but also more heat generated. Will this extra heat result in a shorter battery life or loss of it ability to hold charge long term? I charge my 12.9 iPad Pro overnight using a 5 w charger. Seems to work fine and is fully charged in the morning. 
  • Reply 15 of 125
    jax44 said:
    Nope. There wouldn't be a single good reason to do so.

iPhone is never getting USB-C. Repeat: Never.

iPhone is transcending wires. The Lightning connector will remain for the sake of diagnostics and the world of hardware accessories (the ones that also haven't transcended wires).
    edited August 2017 tmaymwhiteStrangeDaysrandominternetpersonargonaut
  • Reply 16 of 125
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Hope, AppleTV 5th gen supports both Dolby Vision 12bit and HDR10+ format, my TV does.
    tmay
  • Reply 17 of 125
    Soli said:
    jax44 said:
    On the device or PSU? If you mean on the device then I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Don't hold your breath about the other end of the cable either. If you want one? Buy one. Nothing stopping you, if you value that cable so much.

The iPhone market as a whole does not value that cable at all, which is why it does not (and will not) come with the product. USB-A is still far, far more appropriate.

Again, nothing stopping you from buying that USB-C cable if you see fit.
    tmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 125
    sog35 said:

Nope.

While that lineup might look cleaner to a casual observer, Apple doesn't care about that. They care about having iPhones at several price points. Also, the 512 GB iPhone X will not be that cheap.

iPhone 7 $549 - 32 GB, $599 128 GB.
    iPhone 7 Plus $649 32 GB, $699 - 128 GB.

iPhone 7s - $649 - 32 GB, $749 - 128 GB, $849 - 256 GB.
    iPhone 7s Plus - $749 - 32 GB, $849 - 128 GB, $949 (this model will come down in price by $20).

iPhone X - $969 - 64 GB, $1069 - 256 GB, $1269 512 GB.

Actually it would be a good opportunity for Apple to enter the "mid-range" by reducing the prices of regular iPhone <n> and iPhone <n> Plus models and keep the high ASP by having a separate "Premium" product under the "X/Pro" lineup. This would help Apple in the long-term once the super-cycle is done and dusted.
  • Reply 19 of 125
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:

Strong statements.
    I can even see Apple making a bigger leap by selling the iPhone 7s for $499.  That would capture an even bigger market.

The strategy of widening the gap between top and mid tier worked really well for the iPad this year.

The question is will enough people buy the iPhoneX to make up the price drop with the 7s?

And will enough new buys who would have not purchased the 7s for $649 buy the 7s for $499?

While I agree with reducing the entry level prices, I don't think Apple would do that "this year" - the year of super-cycle. If Apple dramatically reduces the prices of entry-level iPhones next year post super-cycle, it would be viewed in a negative way. So the best option would be to reduce the entry level prices gradually, something like a $50 price cut this year and another $50 price cut next year and may be another cut one more year and then settle at that entry level price.
  • Reply 20 of 125
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    kent909 said:
    Well, nothing has been announced by Apple yet. No invitations have gone out. This report IS a rumor from some "source" who claims 9/12/17 will be the day.