Surfing, dancing, other new Apple Watch Workouts tipped in latest iOS 11 beta

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2017
Files discovered in the latest iOS 11 beta release suggest Apple is planning to add a host of exercises to Apple Watch's Workout app this fall, including complex activities like kickboxing, fishing, equestrian sports and more.

Discovered by iHelp BR, Apple's latest iOS evaluation software includes icons and titles for what appears to be a new set of Workout routines. While not present in the most recent watchOS 4 beta, the iconography is likely incorporated in iOS 11 for reviewing Apple Watch-tracked activities on a paired iPhone.

The publication found icons and code strings for badminton, barre, baseball, bowling, boxing climbing, core training, cricket, curling, dance, equestrian sports, fencing, fishing, flexibility, functional training, golf, gymnastics, jump rope, kickboxing, lacrosse, paddle sports, pilates, "play," sailing, skating, skiing and other snow sports, step training, strength training and surfing.

Support for at least one exercise, skiing, was tipped in Apple's inadvertently leaked HomePod firmware earlier this month.

The iOS 11 beta release also includes graphics for new Workout routines available to Apple Watch users running watchOS 4 beta. Those assets include outdoor swimming, elliptical, high intensity interval training and more.

The discovery comes as rumors of an anticipated Apple Watch "Series 3" hardware refresh swirl. Expected to debut at Apple's annual iPhone event, which traditionally takes place in September, the next-generation wearable is rumored to boast an LTE modem for cellular data connectivity.

An LTE Apple Watch would be less dependent on iPhone's cellular capabilities than current models, but the updated device is not expected to be a smartphone replacement. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts Apple Watch "Series 3" will not support voice calls at launch, though such functionality might be activated in a subsequent software update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I'm really curious if and how well it is possible to deduct the intensity and ultimately calories used for all these sports from just measuring the body movement on one wrist plus heart rate. 
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I'm really curious if and how well it is possible to deduct the intensity and ultimately calories used for all these sports from just measuring the body movement on one wrist plus heart rate. 
    Well, measuring calories or Joules is difficult and the Apple watch is not doing well in this department (as other measuring devices). It does excel in hart rate measuring. 
    edited August 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 16
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    I'd love to have a "keyboard" mode that won't count my work as a keyboard player as exercise. 

Two hours of sitting at the piano will complete the day's exercise, which seems...not correct.
    cornchipleavingthebiggdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    A comprehensive list of all the exercises would be nice.

The algorithm seems to be get general, even when selecting an exercise type. Even with backpacking there's no way to determine the weight of the pack, elevation, and terrain—all of which can make it a difficult journey that won't even register on my 30 minutes of activity because I'm not going fast enough (I assume). Perhaps if I'm wearing a 40lb pack I should increase my body weight by 40lb in the Health app on my iPhone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

spheric said:
    I'd love to have a "keyboard" mode that won't count my work as a keyboard player as exercise. 

Two hours of sitting at the piano will complete the day's exercise, which seems...not correct.
    That's an interesting result. I can't say I experience that from a computer keyboard. I'm not sure this will ever be great so long as the device gets all its data near the distal end of a single appendage.

doozydozenspheric
  • Reply 5 of 16
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I'd be really good to have a triathlon function, in which the Watch detects start/end of the individual disciplines and provides a detailed summary. The problem with the workout app in general is that it is very reduced. I always wonder how popular it is when there are much more interesting apps such as Runkeeper, Runtastic, Strava, ...
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Soli said:
    A comprehensive list of all the exercises would be nice.

The algorithm seems to be get general, even when selecting an exercise type. Even with backpacking there's no way to determine the weight of the pack, elevation, and terrain—all of which can make it a difficult journey that won't even register on my 30 minutes of activity because I'm not going fast enough (I assume). Perhaps if I'm wearing a 40lb pack I should increase my body weight by 40lb in the Health app on my iPhone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

spheric said:

That's an interesting result. I can't say I experience that from a computer keyboard. I'm not sure this will ever be great so long as the device gets all its data near the distal end of a single appendage.

I agree. When we go hiking and I carry my small one with some other stuff that's easily an extra 20 kg which would never be taken into account. 
    Yet. I'm curious how this wearable tech develops. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 16
    spheric said:

This is not a bad idea. I have noticed during my one minute hourly stands, Apple Watch is aware my left hand is moving as I continue type in a standing position. After one minutes passes Apple Watch congratulates me for performing one minute of activity.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I didn't scrutinize the chart, but some things just baffle me, as in the ability to quantify surfing exercise. I assume it and other exercises would use heart rate and GPS and no doubt algorithms written by Charlie Eppes. 

I give 0 credence to any 'wearable' to even vaguely quantify calories burned let alone with any accuracy. That may be too extreme but there are just too many variables that aren't entered into the equation or allowed for in an algorithm. The best you can hope for is consistency or reliability in 'measuring' your exercise.

I use a Watch and calories is one of my selected metrics. But I use it just for comparison to a previous workout, and not for any intrinsic value.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    The surfing one seems straightforward to me. Paddling out from the beach and then into waves can be an excellent workout - especially if you get caught inside on a big day. 
    When on the wave I'd say a shortboard rider would be be working hard but it depends on the rider/conditions.
    A really skilled longboard who uses the whole board would be the same - not so much if they are just into trimming along the wave. 
    However just getting out on a big day on a longboard can be your exercise for the week if you time it wrong - as duckdiving can be problematic. If you find a good rip to take you out it's OK. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I'd love to see AppleWatch track motorcycle riding.

I am a motorcycle postie so all day everyday I ride a motorcycle delivering mail. I ride sun, rain, hail, windy ( being in Taranaki, New Zealand that's the weather in one day) and that affects a rider, especially the wind.

Riding a motorcycle is quite a bit of work, more so than most people realise. I'd love to measure that effort.
    watto_cobrasteveau
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Dedicated complication for specific workout routine would be most excellent.

Currently, I use the workout app complication on my watch face. I pretty much do the same workout regimen everyday when I hit the gym. So there are a couple menus to still dive into before I began. Having the workout complication be "smart" by predicting what exercise I generally do first, or have me predetermine in settings app the specific first routine would simplify user input, making the experience more Apple-esque. Maybe introduce a workout regimen watch face with X amount of workout routines on the watch face waiting for you to begin. Food for thought. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    I don't picture burning too many calories fishing, unless you are throwing a harpoon into a whale and reeling it in by hand. 
  • Reply 13 of 16
    hexclock said:
    I don't picture burning too many calories fishing, unless you are throwing a harpoon into a whale and reeling it in by hand. 
    You burn lots of calories sleeping.

Although my uncle got taken into Emergency after spending all day trying to land a big fish in the hot sun.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For me, the enhancement that is really needed is to the "Activity" app on the iPhone:   The Watch records heart rate, speed, distance, etc and will report those things in real time.   But then the Activity app simply glomes the whole workout together and reports totals and averages.

For most workouts (especially running or HIIT) that is almost worthless:   in endurance sports, the heart rate tends to increase with distance as well as with pace and incline.   In HIIT workouts those differences are even more pronounced.   By simply reporting total time & distance and average heart rate and energy expended, the nuances of the workout are lost.

A good example is:   I recently completed a "speed workout" at a track where we ran twenty 200 meter sprints with a 1 minute rest break between each:   While my heart rate max'd out during the sprint, it returned to normal during the rest break  -- and the average reported by the Activity app was actually lower than that of an easy, recovery run!  That was worthless and misleading -- and the all important spikes were lost.

The information is all there and its all available -- Apple just needs to report it.   How hard can that be?   Come on Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    lostkiwi said:
    The surfing one seems straightforward to me. Paddling out from the beach and then into waves can be an excellent workout - especially if you get caught inside on a big day. 
    When on the wave I'd say a shortboard rider would be be working hard but it depends on the rider/conditions.
    A really skilled longboard who uses the whole board would be the same - not so much if they are just into trimming along the wave. 
    However just getting out on a big day on a longboard can be your exercise for the week if you time it wrong - as duckdiving can be problematic. If you find a good rip to take you out it's OK. 
    It's not that I don't think surfing isn't exercise; it's just how to quantify it with some detail/accuracy/consistancy. The paddling is straight forward. That never occurred to me. And now that I think about it, heart rate plays a part and other than just sitting on a board as TV show surfers are most often shown, I imagine it bumps up significantly when actually surfing.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macgui said:
    lostkiwi said:
    It's not that I don't think surfing isn't exercise; it's just how to quantify it with some detail/accuracy/consistancy. The paddling is straight forward. That never occurred to me. And now that I think about it, heart rate plays a part and other than just sitting on a board as TV show surfers are most often shown, I imagine it bumps up significantly when actually surfing.
    That's why simply reporting totals and averages doesn't really cut it.  Another good example is weight lifting:  the person may spend as much or more time resting between sets as they do lifting -- totals and averages simply can't paint the picture.