Watch: The best tvOS 11 features coming to Apple TV this fall

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2017
Apple is expected to release its next-generation tvOS 11 operating system this fall alongside a rumored Apple TV device capable of 4K resolutions and HDR color reproduction. Get up to date on the latest feature additions and improvements coming to Apple's set-top streamer in this video.

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hope, 5th gen AppleTV supports both HDR(Dolby Vision and HDR10+) format !! Make it near future-proof.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 2 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Must-have: if Apple upgrades to 4k, then it needs to provide customers that already purchased content the 4k version for free (to the extent it exists, of course.)
  • Reply 3 of 13
    On-Demand Resources was supported at the launch of tvOS. tvOS is already called out as supported in the developer documentation for ODR here:
    https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/AppThinning/AppThinning.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012582-CH35-SW7
  • Reply 4 of 13
    eightzero said:
    Must-have: if Apple upgrades to 4k, then it needs to provide customers that already purchased content the 4k version for free (to the extent it exists, of course.)
    Is there any precedent for that? Did Apple do that when they started offering HD? Does Google or Vudu or Amazon offer that? "Must-have" seems a little strong for this request. I hope they do it, but I'm just wondering if it's been done before. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I really appreciate these videos...very well done...

It'll be great to have my AirPods sync w/ AppleTV. When the GF goes to bed, I can still watch a movie in the next room w/o disturbing her. :)

edited August 2017 bruckheimer
  • Reply 6 of 13
    eightzero said:
    Why would you think Apple has control over 3rd party content? I'm sure they'll probably offer some of their own productions in 4K later on. I certainly wouldn't get your hopes up that 3rd parties are going to offer free 4K upgrades. That's typically the whole point of changing formats: you can resell the same content to the same customers all over again if they think it's worth it. 
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    supadav03 said:
    eightzero said:
    Is there any precedent for that? Did Apple do that when they started offering HD? Does Google or Vudu or Amazon offer that? "Must-have" seems a little strong for this request. I hope they do it, but I'm just wondering if it's been done before. 
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2012/3/7/2852583/apple-previously-purchased-itunes-movies-1080p

This is from 2012.. did this not actually happen? This would be along the same lines I think ? I didn't purchase iTunes content prior to Appletv 3rd gen so this wasn't a concern for me. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    supadav03 said:
    eightzero said:
    I had a great many TV shows that were only offered in SD upgraded for free to HD versions as they became available.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    eightzero said:
    You realize that has nothing to do with Apple, right? You seriously believe the movie studios are going to give you new 4k content for free?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

It'll be great to have my AirPods sync w/ AppleTV. When the GF goes to bed, I can still watch a movie in the next room w/o disturbing her. :)

You can do this now. You only have to pair it once, then on subsequent uses you must click the “connect” button next to your airpods listed in the BT menu. Works really well. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    eightzero said:
    You realize that has nothing to do with Apple, right? You seriously believe the movie studios are going to give you new 4k content for free?
    You realize that Apple can spend its money however it wants, right? You seriously believe I get movies from a movie studio, and not Apple?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cheviot said:
    supadav03 said:
    eightzero said:
    I had a great many TV shows that were only offered in SD upgraded for free to HD versions as they became available.
    Well since Apple has done this in the past, I would expect them to do it again. I have never bought content from iTunes that wasn't HD so I never knew the upgraded SD content for free in the past. I still wonder how big of a difference it will make. I streamed some 4K content on Netflix and it was ok. Didn't blow me away. Much, much less impressive then when I watched GOTG2 on 4K bluray last week. So I don't know that I would even care about streaming 4K until it looks better than at least HD blurays. 
  • Reply 13 of 13

You can do this now. You only have to pair it once, then on subsequent uses you must click the “connect” button next to your airpods listed in the BT menu. Works really well. 
    Hey thanks, StrangeDays...good to know. I'll try it as soon as I get home. Best! :)