Matias seeks to fill void left by Apple with new Wired Aluminum Keyboard

Posted:
in General Discussion
Taking some design cues from Apple's old keyboard line, Matias has released a new Wired Aluminum Keyboard to accommodate those not looking to replace batteries or charge an input device.

The new Wired Aluminum Keyboard comes in silver and space gray. A fixed 3.25-foot USB 2.0 cable with a type A connector provides connectivity, with pass-through devices like wired mice able to be connected through the two-port USB 2.0 hub.

Matias states that a volume dial on the keyboard gives four times higher precision than the volume keys, granting 64 volume levels, versus the normal 16 allowed from keyboard controls. The normal assortment of function keys adorn the top of the keyboard.

The U.S. layout is available for pre-order for $59 from Matias, with shipments in late November. Other layouts available include German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Swiss, Nordic, Japanese, Taiwanese, and Korean.

Apple's full-size Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad retails for $129.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    If you use 'Shift + Option + Volume' on the keyboard you get the 64 levels without fiddling with the fiddly volume dial.
    talgorezroger73pscooter63wonkothesaneanton zuykovjbdragonchiaSpamSandwichMuntzjony0
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Nice.

the wireless keyboards are a joke.

So small. 
    So cramped.
    Hate when it gets disconnection problems.
    Hate when i have to change batteries.
    Hate that it does not have a key pad built in.

This is an example of Apple taking form over function to the extreme.

Then get a new keyboard. 

Jeeez…
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    WHY DO THESE PRODUCTS NOT HAVE A BACKLIGHT!!!??

I just don't understand. How is it that no one can envision that desktop users want a backlit keyboard, the same way notebook users have had forever?
    wonkothesanepropodktappejbdragonSpamSandwichMuntzjony0baconstangtallest skilgrifmx
  • Reply 4 of 31
    sog35 said:
    Nice.

So small. 
    So cramped.

The Magic Keyboards have built-in batteries and you can operate it while plugged in and charging... and they just released one that has a keypad... no disconnection problems... and they are full size...
    zroger73king editor the gratepscooter63pkisselSoliStrangeDaysMuntzjony0ajlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Taking some design cues from Apple's old keyboard line...

Seriously!? that's an outright copy of Apple's keyboards. LOL

king editor the gratejbdragonrandominternetpersonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    sog35 said:
    Nice.

So small. 
    So cramped.

Hate that you don't even bother to keep up on what Apple offers as keyboards before spouting off.

I'm typing this on the current, full size (w/numeric keypad) Apple wireless keyboard with integral rechargeable batteries. Also works while tethered and recharging. We have a number of these at the office and they work nicely.

The new Matias will be a nice option for those who only need a basic wired keyboard or don't want to pay for something more expensive.
    edited August 2017 king editor the gratepscooter63jbdragonchiaStrangeDaysRayz2016randominternetpersonMuntzajlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    I bought the Matias full-size wireless keyboard and it is fantastic. Looks and feels so close to an Apple keyboard.

It can remember 4 bluetooth devices - so can easily switch to your iPad if needed.

Best part is the battery lasts for 1-year on a single charge. I bought it 6+ months ago and have never needed to re-charge it.

Also, virtually zero bluetooth dropouts.

I got it at B&H for $95, can't recommend it enough.
    lkruppRayz2016Muntzjony0
  • Reply 8 of 31
    neontunafishyneontunafishy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I didn't even realize Apple had stopped making the full sized wired keyboard. Wondering if I ought to buy a few replacements just to have handy. Wireless keyboards and mice are pretty silly for working from a regular desk. I don't see how things looking cleaner trumps having not to recharge something or worry about wireless issues.
    baconstang
  • Reply 9 of 31
    sog35 said:
    Nice.

So small. 
    So cramped.

Not having wires is actually nice. But I had to get used to lack of a numpad.

Disconnection problems? I never had that. Ok ok, I had that once, and I resolved it in 20 seconds. So for the rest of my working time with my iMac, which was about 2 years in total, or, say (conservatively) - 4 hrs a day on average ( 10252800 seconds), I had downtime due to disconnections at 0.000195%.
    I replace batteries last time, ehh, in june, I think. And since I use rechargeable batteries, pulling out dead ones and putting back recharged ones (already charged from the previous cycle), and inserting a pair of dead rechargeable batteries into a charging module is a matter of like 20-30 seconds, again.

baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I didn't even realize Apple had stopped making the full sized wired keyboard. Wondering if I ought to buy a few replacements just to have handy. Wireless keyboards and mice are pretty silly for working from a regular desk. I don't see how things looking cleaner trumps having not to recharge something or worry about wireless issues.

Has nothing to do with looking cleaner. Has more to do with wires getting in the way, for whatever reason. Maybe even freeing up some USB ports for other peripherals. The freedom of setting up and using your computer in a way that's more comfortable for you to use. A wireless connection also allows the keyboard to easily be used with other devices, such as an iPad.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 31
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    For the desktop, Wired Keyboards are just fine. Wired Mice on the other hand suck and are annoying to use. I like my mouse to be free. The cable attached to a device you're moving around is different from a keyboard that just sits in place. now if it's a TouchPad, then a cable is fine.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    Nice.

So small. 
    So cramped.

I have the Matias wireless version of the aluminum keyboard. Full sized with keypad it looks exactly like Apple's wired version. It has an oversized LI-ion battery that is advertised to last almost a year before recharging. All I can say is I charged it when I received it about 6 months ago and haven'y touched it since. The top function keys above the keypad are replaced by four Bluetooth paring keys. You just press the key assigned to the device you want to pair to and there you go. Apple has since released its own version of its wireless, full sized keyboard but I like the Matias product and it juts works.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    Nice.

So small. 
    So cramped.

The guy that says he knows Apple better than anyone didn't even know about something as basic as the keyboards they offer.

watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 14 of 31
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    sog35 said:
    Nice.

So small. 
    So cramped.

Apple has a new wireless keyboard with number keypad.  It's rare that I have had any disconnection issues with an Apple keyboard, but I know what you mean with the batteries.  I use a full-size USB Apple keyboard like this one, and like it.
    Solibaconstang
  • Reply 15 of 31
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Nice.

So small. 
    So cramped.

The guy that says he knows Apple better than anyone didn't even know about something as basic as the keyboards they offer.

details. details. details.

again you are obsessed with the details and can't see the large picture.

So I don't know about every keyboard Apple releases? who cares. keyboards are irrelevant for investment purposes
    The larger picture is doing 12 seconds of research before posting your emotional breakdown.

For someone who is now saying not to worry about the details you’re the one that is getting called out for having made very specific claims about details that you then said didn’t matter after you are repeatedly proven wrong. That goes beyond simply having poor cognitive abilities, but being a disingenuous fraud with narcissist tendencies.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Nice.

So small. 
    So cramped.

details. details. details.

again you are obsessed with the details and can't see the large picture.

So I don't know about every keyboard Apple releases? who cares. keyboards are irrelevant for investment purposes
    People who have known you here a lot longer will probably disagree, but for my money, that is the most stupid thing you've ever said. 

Seriously, you should be working in local government or something. 
    edited August 2017 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I loathe wireless keyboards, don’t the modern Apple keyboard also run via the Lightning recharge part to USB? Sounds like best of both worlds to me. 

Also, I’m a bit annoyed by new products that use legacy connectors. USB-C please
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I loathe wireless keyboards, don’t the modern Apple keyboard also run via the Lightning recharge part to USB? Sounds like best of both worlds to me.
    I’ve seen conflicting reports that it can send data over the wired connection and I have yet to test this myself.

• https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7365115?start=0&tstart=0
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    sog35 said:

I don't have 12 seconds to research.

Everything we ever needed to know about your character and value to this forum in 7 words or less.
    baconstangwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 20 of 31
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Wired whatever is much better than wired whenever possible (obviously, not for mobile phones and the like for obvious reasons!). Besides, batteries are a huge aggression to Earth environment. Concerning, Matias Wired Aluminum Keyboard, that is great idea, but its USB 2.0 hub is a deal breaker. Bring USB 3.1 Type C (reversible) Generation 2 (10 Gbps) ports, or at least USB 3.0 ports!