Apple reportedly choosing not to hide sensor 'notch' on 'iPhone 8's' OLED display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    So the Home button and touch ID are gone. Its either swipe up or double tap on the screen to unlock (probably both will work) and the 3D face scanner thing will confirm its you to allow the phone to unlock (also I'm sure pressing on the longer power button will do this too) Hmm sounds pretty cool to me. So now that we have the phone unlocked, you launch an app. How do you get to the home screen to launch another app? Sounds like you swipe up and get get dock, but if you keep swiping up it will show control center and multitasking apps (like iOS 11 on the iPad) If you click on "blank" areas of this screen it goes to the home screen in iOS 11 on the iPad. So I guess this is how you get to the home screen when in an app with out a home button? or maybe their is a virtual home button in the dock?
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Not sure that’s the right move, if true.

You are wrong. Apple knows better. Have you written software similar to iOS? You do not have qualifications to comment on software written by Apple developers.

/s

• Reply 23 of 60
    Well, that is unimaginably stupid because it looks terrible.
    That's life. People with disabilities that need to invert the colors of the screen are going to see the notch anyway.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
     They are trying to be different and the trouble is different, at least in this case, is awkward looking. It takes away from the slickness of the rest of the phone. Then again this is the same company that insists we need chins on our imacs. T each their own I guess. I would have preferred 100% black out there always. This way looks like a file folder tab.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    i think there’s a difference between looking unusual (which it is right now) and in an image, vs in actual use. it may be that in actual use you simply don’t care. 

personally, i find that in the one on the right the top corner radii being different than the bottom is likewise unusual looking. 
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Not sure why this news is unexpected.  The supposed iPhone 8 icon revealed in the HomePod firmware a month ago looked exactly like this (i.e. visible sensor notch).

Hope they can use the sensors to allow for scroll to top if you tap where the center of the status bar should be.  Would hate to lose that functionality.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Samsung really makes good phones, there big problem is there software, they are getting better, but they don't run near as stable as Apple iPhone's do.

Aside from that we will eventually find out here soon what it will really look like.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    bbdroid said:
    Not sure why this news is unexpected.  The supposed iPhone 8 icon revealed in the HomePod firmware a month ago looked exactly like this (i.e. visible sensor notch).

Hope they can use the sensors to allow for scroll to top if you tap where the center of the status bar should be.  Would hate to lose that functionality.
    Umm... maybe just snap your fingers instead  :D
  • Reply 29 of 60
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    schlack said:
    that software rendered home button def won't be there. just two fingers swiping down from the top can replace default home button functionality. double click home button functionality can be three fingers swiping down from the top and guided mode and assisted mode can be put in the menu that comes up from the bottom. anyways, that's how I'd design it.
    There are several things on the iPhone (even the Plus-sized version) that I commonly do one-handed (and obviously several things I cannot).  It may surprise you how long I can operate the bigger iPhone using only my thumb on the screen while the fingers on that hand are wrapped around the back of the phone and my other hand is occupied with something else (such as eating a bowl of cereal while I'm getting my morning web-surfing in).  Then I might bounce to any number of other apps that are similarly easy to use one-handed.  I use the home button a LOT while doing my one-handed thing.

But as soon as you take away the home button and replace it with a two-(or three)-finger-swipe, suddenly I'll be holding the phone in two hands a LOT more often.  A swipe up with my thumb would allow me to continue with one hand.

Yours is not a good idea.  Your idea basically turns the phone primarily into a two-handed device only.  I'm sure that Apple investigated numerous possible solutions and then settled on the one that was most convenient (or least inconvenient) for the user.  If your idea was tried, it was probably tossed out of the running almost immediately.
    edited August 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 30 of 60
    If this is true - white bezels are on the way.

and that's depressing.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    xgman said:
     They are trying to be different and the trouble is different, at least in this case, is awkward looking. It takes away from the slickness of the rest of the phone. Then again this is the same company that insists we need chins on our imacs. T each their own I guess. I would have preferred 100% black out there always. This way looks like a file folder tab.
    I'm not so sure that Apple insists that we must have a "chin" on our iMacs just for the sake of having a "chin" on our iMacs.  My hunch is that they need the space behind the "chin" (not to mention the space behind the large black bezel around the iMac screen) for specific components that they have decided are important to have in a desk-bound computer.  That makes more sense to me than your assertion.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 60
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    jbdragon said:
    Looks fine to me. Just something else people can complain about, I guess. Now we'll have "notch gate".
    Ya, I don't get this. How many people complain about having to much Bezel. They want NONE, more screen. Apple is giving it to people, and yet they still complain. The tech is not there to hide this stuff behind the screen. It really doesn't matter to me either way. It seems a little late at this point to figure it out. After all the press conference is now just under 2 weeks away.
    Apple figured out what they were doing ages ago. Just the rest of the world needs to put their two cents in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 60
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    Looks really NICE.

Much nicer than the Samsung design or any other small bezel phone.

It still has a nice symetrical design 
    Oh please. If this was a story about Samsung or some other Android OEM everyone here would be panning it. I’m just hoping this means we get dark mode and app developers are encouraged to update their apps to go dark.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    This shouldn't surprise anyone who's seen Apple's battery case.
    trashman69
  • Reply 35 of 60
    dws-2 said:
    This shouldn't surprise anyone who's seen Apple's battery case.

What?

I have the battery case on my iPhone 6s, and it's amazing.  Yes, if I turn it over and look at it, I might say it looks funny, but the functionality is perfect.  People use the case as evidence that Apple has lost its design way, when in fact it's evidence that Apple is not obsessed with "looks" but the full user experience (as they should be).

watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 36 of 60
    schlack said:
    that software rendered home button def won't be there. just two fingers swiping down from the top can replace default home button functionality. double click home button functionality can be three fingers swiping down from the top and guided mode and assisted mode can be put in the menu that comes up from the bottom. anyways, that's how I'd design it.
    2 and 3 finger swipe gesture from the top of the display for rudimentary UI...blahahahahahhaha. You must be trolling, right?! How in hell would that work for one hand usability. Lol, try again. Maybe Google can put you to work on Android UI team. Your design principles, or lack there of, would be perfect fit. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 60
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Soli said:
    Well, that is unimaginably stupid because it looks terrible.
    Only on white. Two of the benefits of OLED are that blacks are really black and that black means no power being used for those pixels so I'd assume the bar would be mostly black.

The article is literally saying they won't do this...they will let App UI use it, instead of permanently masking it with OLED black. Exactly the worst possible outcome.
    The default would probably still be black, its just will also be accessible to devs if they want to do something else with it. I'm guessing there would be a specific API to do so in a non half assed way. If the App has a white screen, the high difference in luminosity between the black area and white area can in fact impact visibility in the dark area a lot. Maybe enable the devs to switch the ear to white if they want to for their app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 60
    So what happens if Apple embraces the 'ears' in landscape orientation??
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 39 of 60
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Soli said:
    mjtomlin said:
    ireland said:
    Genuinely unsure which looks worse. They are embracing the ears; interesting.
    I think the "blacked" out bar makes the entire phone look somewhat unbalanced; larger bezel at the top with sharper, rounded corners. It's sloppy design just to try and hide something that we all know is there. Very un-Apple like.
    You've spent a decade with the status bar being black in color at times thereby causing the "forehead' to be thicker on a black-faced iPhone but you're only now noticing and saying it's unbalanced?

First of all, and the most obvious, is that I have a white iPhone, so I do not notice any difference when the status bar is blacked out. There's also the fact that LCDs do not produce true blacks so the "blackened" screen is still distinguishable from the black bezel.

Second, the amount of space taken up by the status bar appears larger when the bezel is a lot thinner, and is therefor much more noticeable than on previous black iPhone models with a larger "forehead". Percentage wise, in that render it appears twice as thick as the bottom. On a black-faced iPhone, it's a fraction larger and really not that noticeable.

Finally, the largest annoyance is the uneven radius of the corners at the top and bottom.
    edited August 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 40 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mjtomlin said:
    There's also the fact that LCDs do not produce true blacks and the screen is always visible when on.
    You understand that all the talk of the iPhone 8 is about using an LED-based display, right?