New renders & video picture status bar & 'software bar' on Apple's 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in iPhone
Hot on the heels of a report describing the buttonless interface on the "iPhone 8," designers and developers have begun circulating media hinting at what it might look like in practice.

Mockups by French designer Olivier Charavel show not just Bloomberg's reported split status bar -- accommodating the "iPhone 8's" sensor notch -- but the "thin software bar" said to be towards the bottom. Users will allegedly have to drag this upwards to unlock the phone or launch multitasking.

A Charavel image and a short video by Brazilian developer Guilherme Rambo picture iOS 11's iPad dock transposed onto the iPhone. A similar dock is expected on the "iPhone 8," if modified to fit the dimensions of a smaller screen.

This is what the floating dock looks like on an iPhone pic.twitter.com/BbKVIL7yO8

-- Guilherme Rambo (@_inside)

The "iPhone 8" is generally rumored to have a 5.8-inch, edge-to-edge OLED display, jettisoning the physical home button found on every previous iPhone. While offering some benefits, Apple is thought to be using a mix of new interface tropes and 3D facial recognition to get around limitations, such as a lack of Touch ID.

A press event is likely set for Sept. 12.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) That mockup is missing many useful icons, like Bluetooth enabled, BT headphones being connected, VPN, and location services in use.

It's also missing the battery percentage, but at least that one could replace the icon if space was really an issue. I also don't think that the carrier name is that important, but I have to think that it will remain if it's been there for decade—especially if we're moving to an eSIM where you can quickly change the carrier at will without having to shuffle physical SIM cards.

2) If it's a touchscreen couldn't Apple make the status bar touch sensitive so that tapping it will switch to a different view? For example, perhaps on the first status bar screen you have your cellular bars + carrier on the left side with time and battery life on the right side, then on the second status bar screen you have WiFI + VPN on the left side with location, BT, and BT headphone connectivity on the right side.

Perhaps even a Settings option for those that want a larger status bar to show all of these features at once. I think that's unlikely, but even more unlikely is a scroll of all these icons as that seems distracting and unpleasant, to me.
    edited August 2017 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    From the video mockup posted on Twitter: I do not see Control Center. I thought popular rumor has it that Control Center on iPhone will be including in App Switcher, like with iPad on iOS 11.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Soli said:
    1) That mockup is missing many useful icons, like Bluetooth enabled, BT headphones being connected, VPN, and location services in use.
    2) If it's a touchscreen couldn't Apple make the status bar touch sensitive so that tapping it will switch to a different view?
    I agree. I value knowing if my iPhone is connected to LTE versus 3G. Headache saver: understanding the reason why your iPhone is unusable at times in regards to data consumption. Remember the days when the internet was usable on 3G?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    2) If it's a touchscreen couldn't Apple make the status bar touch sensitive so that tapping it will switch to a different view?
    I agree. I value knowing if my iPhone is connected to LTE versus 3G. Headache saver: understanding the reason why your iPhone is unusable at times in regards to data consumption. Remember the days when the internet was usable on 3G?
    I forget about the cellular connection standard (e.g.: LTE, 3G, etc.). I wonder what else the status bar displays that I may have missed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple are missing a golden opportunity to do a Samsung on it. Going home is as simple as a right-wink. Multitasking is a double-right-wink. And Siri is an extended-right wink. Pro level keyboard shortcut equivalents will be reserved for left winks and then there’s the up-and-coming whippersnappers and their advanced-eyebrow-typing. lol
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Soli said:
    If only the phone was a tad wider they’d even fit a hobo analogy in there.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Apple have been using a lot of compressable and active interface of late. Would expect the same sort of change in status bar as the navigation bar.
    In that it has a larger more rich version that gets compressed as you scroll up. So status bar could have doulbe depth version when in focus that shrinks as the users focus shifts down the page.

Double depth would then give better tap targets between back to app buttons and navigation bar of the active app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Since Apple got rid of the bezeled corners at the top of OS X’s UI after… how long was it, a decade? I doubt they’ll add them to iOS any time soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I think the ‘not so important’ ones may go under Control Centre. You just need to know once that you’re connected to 3g or LTE or BLuetooth etc etc. You don’t need to keep looking at it. 

Soli said:
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I forget about the cellular connection standard (e.g.: LTE, 3G, etc.). I wonder what else the status bar displays that I may have missed.
    I would also guess that swiping DOWN will show greater detail just below the split bar... which carrier, battery percentage, gps or bluetooth connected, rotation lock, do not disturb / airplane modes, wifi calling etc. etc. so much is shown up there just now.
  • Reply 11 of 11

Since Apple got rid of the bezeled corners at the top of OS X’s UI after… how long was it, a decade? I doubt they’ll add them to iOS any time soon.
    Prepare to be wrong, I'd say. I'd bet money on radius corners for this phone. They may be less than in these mockups, but it seems to fit the device in question.
    edited August 2017