Nest brings HVAC energy saving to the masses with $169 Thermostat E

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
Nest on Thursday unveiled Thermostat E, a redesigned and less expensive version of the firm's original Learning Thermostat that launched in 2011.

Announced through the company's website, Thermostat E boasts many of the same features that made the first model -- and consecutive refreshes -- popular, including integrated sensors, intelligent money-saving software and mobile connectivity.

Unlike past revamps, Thermostat E is a completely new product line. Bearing the same circular shape as past models, the new E is made of white polycarbonate, with a similarly colored frosted LCD screen that gives the display a soft and subtle look.

Nest designed a new interface for Thermostat E, which when combined with the polarized film layer produces a watercolor effect. This eschews the need for a high-resolution display and allows the device to blend in with its surroundings when not in use.

User controls are identical to Nest's original thermostat, with a large exterior ring acting as a means of input. Whereas E's bigger brother boasts a metal control wheel, the E makes do with plastic manufactured to feel like ceramic.

Users can adjust HVAC temperatures with the wheel or tap into Nest's iOS app for remote access. The app is also where users can set operating schedules, view energy history, set up user family accounts and monitor connected hardware.

While it costs some $80 less than the Learning Thermostat, the Thermostat E sports the same energy saving features like smart scheduling and user presence technology. The new version does, however, lack "Farsight," which displays the time, temperature or weather directly on the unit's screen.

Nest's Thermostat E sells for $169 and can be purchased from the company's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The “E is for…” part of their video reminds me of the original iMac’s various justifications for the “i.” Shame it’s a Google subsidiary. I would’ve wanted one.
    peterhartdoozydozenjahbladeSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Shame it’s a Google subsidiary. I would’ve wanted one.
    Same here, but neither Google nor Samsung products are allowed in my house. 
    lolliverjahbladetallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Nest is a mess. Ecobee is the best. 
    doozydozenapplesauce007hodarjony0
  • Reply 4 of 33
    peterhart said:
     I hear you. I won't have MS or Amazon products, either.

Looks pretty cool, tho.

But F Google! I try to buy only Apple tech. A Brother printer and an LG TV are the only exceptions. I'll buy a HomePod (in spite of the price) instead of a sound bar. 

I'll never buy a Tesla b/c it's based on Android!

Right now I have a rose gold Se, an iPad mini 2, 2006 iMac, 2009 MBP, latest AppleTV, AirPods, 1st gen AppleWatch/dock, and a 2017 rose gold MacBook. The iMac and MBP will be recycled this month. I plan on getting the rose gold iPad Pro/Apple keyboard and selling my MacBook and iPad mini soon. Then trade the Se for an iPhone 8 and then sell the Apple Watch for the 3rd gen Apple Watch. Got a plan! :)
  • Reply 5 of 33
    peterhart said:
    Samsung TVs should be OK.
    jahblade
  • Reply 6 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No mention of this not having HomeKit.
    leighc-sfoStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 33
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    "The new version does, however, lack "Farsight," which displays the time, temperature or weather directly on the unit's screen."

This new thermostat does not display the current temperature of the room on the screen? That's a major fail. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 33
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member

I'll never buy a Tesla b/c it's based on Android!
    No, Tesla's s/w (for the entertainment/HVAC screen) is not based on Android. I can't find the reference right now, but I'll look a bit more.

Edit: The 17" screen runs a Tesla-modified variant of Linux running on an Nvidia processor. Android is a different variant of Linux.

https://www.quora.com/What-Linux-based-OS-does-the-display-in-the-Tesla-Model-S-run
    edited August 2017 EngDevdysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jd_in_sb said:
    "The new version does, however, lack "Farsight," which displays the time, temperature or weather directly on the unit's screen."

This new thermostat does not display the current temperature of the room on the screen? That's a major fail. 
    Yes it displays the temperature of the room according to the Nest literature, but not from far-away, aka "Farsight", and not offering the additional Farsight features such as weather and time.
    https://nest.com/thermostats/
    edited August 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Is this compatible with HomeKit? If not, I have no interest 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Where's the HomeKit support announcement?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 33
    squuiid said:
    Who knows? I don't recall Nest saying they would offer Homekit support, altho they did say they were open to it. If that's a hold-up then Nest is not for you. Look at Ecobee.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Hideous.

I installed a Nest Thermostat in my new home in 2012. I'm currently on my third warranty replacement. One died. The others can't read humidity accurately. They sometimes go to "deep sleep" and don't wake up and turn on the system until I wave my hand in front of them. They're horrible at operating heat pumps (unnecessary use of auxiliary heat, for example). App lags behind actual operation. I could go on and on about the issues I've had. It does work well with my Amazon Echo devices, though.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 33
    gatorguy said:
    squuiid said:
    Who knows? I don't recall Nest saying they would offer Homekit support, altho they did say they were open to it. If that's a hold-up then Nest is not for you. Look at Ecobee.
    Ecobee don't sell in the UK. US only.
    Nest does, but I won't buy until there is HomeKit support.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I can also save $169 by simply not buying anything with the Nest name on it. I will not associate with anything Google...no thanks! 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 33
    EphEph Posts: 8member
    I have 3 nests that I bought before the sale to Gobble. I use the room temperature from vacation locations to monitor heat and ac and could not envision that feature dropped. I once had an x-ray at the local hospital and they used a Samsung x-ray machine. I asked if it had ever burst into flames ;-)
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Eph said:
    I have 3 nests that I bought before the sale to Gobble. I use the room temperature from vacation locations to monitor heat and ac and could not envision that feature dropped. 
    It isn't dropped.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This reads like a bullshit commercial.
    I rather sleep in the snow than get anything Google into my house.

Besides, the esthetics of that thing are terrible and that matters for something so conspicuous.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The “E is for…” part of their video reminds me of the original iMac’s various justifications for the “i.” Shame it’s a Google subsidiary. I would’ve wanted one.
    It's probably a subliminal attempt to take on Ecobee.  Like many here I'd imagine I switched from Nest to Ecobee and have been very happy indeed.  For the same price as this you get a satellite too and no Google hardware/software inside your walled garden, a double win.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Samsung TVs should be OK.
    For Big Brother, yeah. Microsoft, Google, and Samsung I refuse to buy. Seagate, too, but that’s only because of their shit customer service and refusal to refund me for a hard drive they admitted was part of a run they shipped from the factory faulty.
    edited August 2017