Logitech intros dial-equipped Craft Advanced Keyboard for Mac & Windows

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2017
Logitech on Thursday took the wraps off the Craft Advanced Keyboard, its signature feature being the "crown," a touch-sensitive dial that can be set to control multiple functions within Mac and Windows apps.

By default the Craft's crown supports Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and InDesign across both platforms, as well as Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel (2010 through 2016) on Windows. Tapping it brings up an onscreen menu for selecting supported functions within an app, such as brush size, chart type, or font size. Once one is selected using the dial, twisting the dial again will adjust an item's values or settings.

Custom profiles can be created for other apps, and the keyboard will work without the dial if needed. At an OS level, the crown can be used for tasks like switching apps or desktops, or changing volume.

Other features include a matte key surface with "spherical dishing," and automatic backlighting, triggered by a person's hands and tailored to ambient lighting. The keyboard can be paired with up to three devices including phones and tablets, though it isn't explicitly designed for iOS or Android. Connection options include Bluetooth or a Logitech unifying receiver.

The Craft will ship in October for $199.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    That's pretty neat... how is the keyboard quality and feel?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kayesskayess Posts: 42member
    Interesting.  Nice try - but I'll wait for the touchbar enabled Apple keyboard when it comes. I assume the mixed reviews won't stop Apple persisting with that technology, which offers the same options, does it better by the look of this, and it'll surely evolve. 
  • Reply 3 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    Just when you thought knobs/dials were done forever, they're back! 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Key question, can I use it to play Tempest! properly?
    randominternetpersonbaconstangStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 13
    $200 for a non-mechanical keyboard and I need to trust Logitech's janky software to drive that proprietary pot? Thank you, but no.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Thanks, but no thanks, Logitech. I'll stick with my trusty Griffin Powermate.
    edited August 2017 baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    cgWerks said:
    That's pretty neat... how is the keyboard quality and feel?
    Victor has a review unit. We'll let you know.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kernelg said:
    $200 for a non-mechanical keyboard and I need to trust Logitech's janky software to drive that proprietary pot? Thank you, but no.

I'm pretty sure it's "mechanical" but I agree with your sentiment.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I've got two Powermates. What can they to in macOS these days?

And for me, nothing beats a rotary knob for volume control. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 10 of 13
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    macgui said:
    I've got two Powermates. What can they to in macOS these days?

And for me, nothing beats a rotary knob for volume control. 
    I have one too. 

I had had hoped to use it to for continuously  variable input while drawing in Photoshop. Like the throttle on an airbrush. But I could never configure it to work the way I like, or google a working solution that someone else found. 

There are certainly a few of us out there interested in a dial controller. But I'm under no illusion that there are enough of us to warrant a lot of attention. 

I just bought Apple's BT Extended KB a few months ago. 

I'd rather not buy two KB upgrades this year. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring keyboard with hub sporting two USB 3.1 Type C (reversible) Generation 2 (10 Gbps) ports, or at least USB 3.0 ports!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    blastdoor said:
    Just when you thought knobs/dials were done forever, they're back! 
    I'll take a good quality knob/dial over a touch-bar any day!

Key question, can I use it to play Tempest! properly?
    Oh man, I'd pay good money for that! :smiley:

kernelg said:
    Oh my, I either missed the price, or that wasn't there initially. I guess if it's really, really good quality. But, I'd have to agree that I'm cautious about the software. Their Mac drivers, installers, and software have traditionally been horrific. That said, the new software for my MX Master has been considerably better. Maybe they are taking it seriously finally... I've given them enough negative feedback on it over the years!

Besides the dial, though, the big thing for me here is pairing more than one BT device. That is something I've considered switching to one of their previous models to get. Being able to quickly switch to my phone or iPad, then back to my Mac, would be really nice at times.