Nest brings HVAC energy saving to the masses with $169 Thermostat E

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    EngDevEngDev Posts: 76member
    peterhart said:
    Shame it’s a Google subsidiary. I would’ve wanted one.
    Same here, but neither Google nor Samsung products are allowed in my house. 
    You're missing out on Samsung's SSDs.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    EngDev said:
    I’ve heard Intel’s are pretty good. Day comes that I can afford an SSD, I’ll probably go for theirs.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    EngDevEngDev Posts: 76member
    EngDev said:
    I’ve heard Intel’s are pretty good. Day comes that I can afford an SSD, I’ll probably go for theirs.
    For consumer SSDs (& non-Optane), Samsung's are going to be much better than Intel's.

Ever so often Intel's SSDs go on sale for pretty low prices, I picked up a 512GB 600p for $130 a year or so back to use in a HTPC, it's decent, but despite being PCIe NVMe, it's not exactly fast.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 24 of 33
    peterhart said:
    Shame it’s a Google subsidiary. I would’ve wanted one.
    Same here, but neither Google nor Samsung products are allowed in my house. 
    Samsung TVs should be OK.
    I'd say not... https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/24/samsung-tv-buyers-furious-after-software-update-leaves-sets-unusable http://bgr.com/2015/02/11/how-to-stop-samsung-smart-tv-spying-guide/ http://bgr.com/2015/02/11/samsung-smart-tv-ads/
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    gatorguy said:
    squuiid said:
    Where's the HomeKit support announcement?
    Who knows? I don't recall Nest saying they would offer Homekit support, altho they did say they were open to it. If that's a hold-up then Nest is not for you. Look at Ecobee.
    https://www.apple.com/ie/search/Ecobee?src=globalnav
  • Reply 26 of 33
    GG1 said:

I'll never buy a Tesla b/c it's based on Android!
    No, Tesla's s/w (for the entertainment/HVAC screen) is not based on Android. I can't find the reference right now, but I'll look a bit more.

Edit: The 17" screen runs a Tesla-modified variant of Linux running on an Nvidia processor. Android is a different variant of Linux.

https://www.quora.com/What-Linux-based-OS-does-the-display-in-the-Tesla-Model-S-run
    Thanks. Good to know. GG1. :) I did recently read that Tesla and Volvo are the two top manufacturers w/ software problems. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 27 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Why did they decide to have a light color background now? You put light text on a light color background and that spells UI failure.
    edited August 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 28 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Why did they decide to have a light color background now? You put light text on a light color background and that spells UI failure.
    They probably still have the same glossy display as the original, but now it's behind a frosted panel so that it's both less bright when active, and disappears for the most part when it is not. TBH I'd prefer that over the original's, blending into the background better when I don't need to see it. 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Thanks. Good to know. GG1. :) I did recently read that Tesla and Volvo are the two top manufacturers w/ software problems. 
    So now you can keep your spot in the Model 3 waiting list. ;)

I know a few people with the Model S who report no issues, but the Model X has supposedly had a lot of "quirks."

Tesla better have the Model 3 sorted out at launch, or a lot of people on the waiting list will bail.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I suppose more walls are light-colored than dark-colored, and so if you’re going to have a thermostat bump out of one of them, you’d want to make it white rather than black. Then, having a black face to it would only create further contrast. I’m actually interested in how they’re doing that. Is it a normal LCD that is… what, always on and showing white? Or is it somehow a WHITE-normal screen that shows color? Or is it a micro-perforated white plastic cover with a screen behind it whose UI elements shine through (like Apple does with the sleep light on the MacBook family and the Magic Trackpad)?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Because Apple do? It's a fad. It needs to die, yet Apple fans are still in unwilling to critique this crap. It's apparently not dated enough yet for them. Everyone has been following Apple design cues as usual, some worse and some better. I hate that the existing research on usability just gets ignored or outright disbelieved.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Also: $170 is a price for a thermostat for "the masses"???
  • Reply 33 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I suppose more walls are light-colored than dark-colored, and so if you’re going to have a thermostat bump out of one of them, you’d want to make it white rather than black. Then, having a black face to it would only create further contrast. I’m actually interested in how they’re doing that. Is it a normal LCD that is… what, always on and showing white? Or is it somehow a WHITE-normal screen that shows color? Or is it a micro-perforated white plastic cover with a screen behind it whose UI elements shine through (like Apple does with the sleep light on the MacBook family and the Magic Trackpad)?
    It's a piece of frosted plastic (AFAICT) over the display. Pretty simple
    edited September 2017 tallest skil