Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 449
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    avon b7 said:
    The colours on the invite look promising. I hope rose gold, dark greys and even black are given the boot for a few years.
    Oh please. And piss off half the customer base. Space Gray/Black has always been the most popular color choice.
    StrangeDaysstompytmaymwhitewatto_cobralolliverpscooter63Metriacanthosaurusnetmage
  • Reply 22 of 449
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

They're going to be cutting it close on the Steve Jobs Theater. The latest quadrocopter "spy videos" showed people still working on it. Could still be some loose nuts and bolts in need of tightening.
    Aren’t there always?....especially “loose nuts”.... ;)

Sorry, low-hanging fruit moment...
    Hey, it's California. Where all of the fruit hangs low.
    edited August 2017 macseekerboltsfan17anton zuykov
  • Reply 23 of 449

This is what I see inside the Apple logo. Just the thumb is further up nearer to the corner.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 24 of 449
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    lkrupp said:
    mike54 said:
    ... one more thing... Mac Mini !     ...please?
    Fugget About It.
    Especially as a "one more thing". That would be a huge letdown.
  • Reply 25 of 449
    They're going to be cutting it close on the Steve Jobs Theater. The latest quadrocopter "spy videos" showed people still working on it. Could still be some loose nuts and bolts in need of tightening.

I don't think so. The theatre is all underground. The front main entrance is the nice glass circle we always see, and the rear entrance is beside the parking garage. That's where the theatre essentially runs from. Earlier drone footage showed the excavation where the actual theatre sits.

It could have been completed inside months ago. And knowing they were planning the event to be held there, I'm sure they worked well in advance to make sure the interior was complete.
    doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 26 of 449
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    mike1 said:
    avon b7 said:
    The colours on the invite look promising. I hope rose gold, dark greys and even black are given the boot for a few years.
    Oh please. And piss off half the customer base. Space Gray/Black has always been the most popular color choice.
    And if those two were no longer options, logic says new offerings would take their place!

Time to be courageous again! Black is now officially boring, old hat. Call it what you want but if the iPhone 8 wasn't available in black, rose gold or dark grey it would be a stand out moment.

Yes, I know it won't happen but those colours need a rest IMO.
  • Reply 27 of 449
    Will be interesting to see what other changes and improvements Apple will offer with the iPhone 8 / X / Pro that haven't leaked already.  I feel like we're only hearing about some of the bigger changes, like the shift to OLED, facial scanning, glass back.  I wonder what kind of improvements they'll bring on processor speed, graphics, battery life, etc., as those things are what makes the experience what it is.  Would be great for them to get 18-24 hour battery life as well as an even better water resistance rating.
    Processor speed - Class leading. Gaphics - Class leading. Battery life - Class leading, unless Apple decides to cut down on the battery capacity significantly compared to the iPhone 7 generation. A11 will be a huge improvement compared to A10 due to movement to 10nm this year. Benchmarks for A10X already prove that. Android flagship phones this year (with 10nm SD 835/Exynos 8895) have "similar" battery life compared to last year, despite having "smaller" batteries. Hope Apple does not take that route this year.
  • Reply 28 of 449
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It was a question as to whether it would be used. I would imagine that as how this is a press event, and that the press will be taking pictures as well as videos of it, and whatever they can of the rest of the campus, that it will be completely ready, or Cook will be making pointed remarks at how the press rushed them to use it, in a tongue and cheek manner.
    edited August 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 29 of 449

mike54 said:
    ... one more thing... Mac Mini !     ...please?
    This isn’t a Mac event, so that would be unlikely, though not impossible.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 449

sog35 said:
    We seeing $170 stock price this year bitches (my apologies to female canines )

Just as I predicted.
    We might see a drop in September. While most of what will and what won’t be in the phones are already in the stock price, any disappointment in iPhone 8 timing could disrupt that.
    anantksundaramjony0pscooter63
  • Reply 31 of 449
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    I don't know if we're scheduled for it on Apples part since the last refresh only recently came out, but 8th gen Core looks pretty sweet. 15-28 watt 13" laptops like the rMBP are getting quads finally. That would be sweet in the rMBP 13, along with TB3.
  • Reply 32 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    mike1 said:
    avon b7 said:
    And if those two were no longer options, logic says new offerings would take their place!

Time to be courageous again! Black is now officially boring, old hat. Call it what you want but if the iPhone 8 wasn't available in black, rose gold or dark grey it would be a stand out moment.

We’ve been seeing that copper color, which has been described as a copper/gold. It’s hard to tell what that will look like in the flesh, so to speak. Some colors photograph better than others, unless it’s done very carefully. While I like copper, and the photos have it looking like bronze, the rumors that Apple will be cutting gold and rose gold would be a problem, if true. Both are extremely popular colors.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 33 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    mike1 said:
    avon b7 said:

I very much prefer the darker shades (so excited to have a Space Grey MBP!). If you don't care for them, I respect your preference but hope you would not begrudge those of us who would rather switch brands than be seen carry a metallic green device! :)
  • Reply 34 of 449
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Looks like two iPhones in picture.
    Good eye. Looking at it again, I wonder if the one on the right is the iPhone and the bottom the new Apple TV? Perhaps the shape showing more colors is hinting at a 4K Apple TV. 
    It's a heat map alluding to facial detection. Not sure why they would show iPhones but it doesn't appear to be facial features either.
  • Reply 35 of 449
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sog35 said:
    We seeing $170 stock price this year bitches (my apologies to female canines )

Just as I predicted.
    I was just thinking the same thing but knock on wood, a lot could go wrong on this planet this year too.
  • Reply 36 of 449
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    avon b7 said:
    mike1 said:
    avon b7 said:

I very much prefer the darker shades (so excited to have a Space Grey MBP!). If you don't care for them, I respect your preference but hope you would not begrudge those of us who would rather switch brands than be seen carry a metallic green device! :)
    LOL!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a light copper tone or metallic mustard! I kid you not!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to afford one but I'm as curious as anyone to see if they'll offer new tones and finishes and hope for at least one 'extravagant' offering but that falls short of bling status.

I won't begrudge you your preference of space grey though ;-)
  • Reply 37 of 449
    Could the colorful Apple invitation be a nod to the new Siri visualization first seen on Apple's Homepod unveiling? 

The saturated, vivid color palette seems to take cues from the current Siri waveform:
    Siri-Waveform-745x195.png

Here's a link to the Homepod Siri visualization for reference: 

edited August 2017
  • Reply 38 of 449
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Looking forward to this. It could be quite entertaining. 
  • Reply 39 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    A dark blue iPhone would be so amazing...
    cityguide
  • Reply 40 of 449
    Can anyone think of a single time when, after the event, there's been an aha moment where the logic behind the vague invitation artwork became clear?  I can't.  And yet every year people read all these crazy theories into the essentially abstract art of the invitation.  No it's not two iPhones; it's not a thumb holding a phone; it's not a hint at new colors; etc.  The fact is Apple has zero history of hinting at what's going to be announced based on the design/color of the Apple logo in the announcement.

Sorry to be a party pooper.  Guesses about what the logo means is no more or less interesting than pointing out shapes perceived in clouds or in an ink blot.  Perhaps a fun party game, but not meaningful analysis.
    Soliwonkothesaneradarthekatlorin schultzwatto_cobralolliverpscooter63zoetmb