Apple short-cycles test releases, makes ninth developer betas of iOS 11, tvOS 11 available...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2017
Just three days after the last release, Apple has made the ninth beta of iOS 11, and tvOS available for developers to test -- suggesting a release is imminent in conjunction with new products that need the operating systems to function.

The most notable changes in iOS 11 overall are back-end enhancements and an improved voice for Siri, plus Apple Pay and Photos services enhancements. The Do Not Disturb While Driving feature was introduced during the second beta. The ninth beta of iOS 11 has build number 15A5370a, with the previous holding number 15A5368a -- a very small increment since Monday's update

tvOS 11

Apple continues to have very sparse developer notes for tvOS. The previous tvOS build was numbered 15J5374a, and the current has been incremented to 15J5378a.

Earlier on Thursday, Apple declared that its next release event is on September 12. All four of Apple's operating systems in testing are expected to be released on or around the release event, with the "iPhone 8," "iPhone 7s," and "iPhone 7s Plus" likely debuting as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    I'm not surprised by the quick turn-around on another release. There were major screen display issues that were introduced in the last beta including in Apple's own native apps. I have not had any real problems with simple Siri directions in the past but after beta 7 I've had Siri give me directions to the wrong turn on a street or a wrong building. Not sure if it's beta related or Maps is just screwed up right now.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    AirPlay 2? ApplePay p2p?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    My guess is that we'll see updates every 3-4 days prior to the launch date, as they knock out bugs and start adding in the "secret" things that will be part of the iPhone 8 software.
    longpath
  • Reply 4 of 13
    My guess is that we'll see updates every 3-4 days prior to the launch date, as they knock out bugs and start adding in the "secret" things that will be part of the iPhone 8 software.
    You done broke the code!

• Reply 5 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    So, which iOS do the millions of new phones already produced include, iOS10.3 or an older beta of iOS11?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    AirPlay 2? ApplePay p2p?
    New AppleTV with in-air gesture recognition...  Apple bought the Kinect tech in 2013 when they acquired Prime Sense.  Along with other camera, sensor acquisitions, since -- AppleTV seems ripe for Remoteless Remote Control.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mike1 said:
    So, which iOS do the millions of new phones already produced include, iOS10.3 or an older beta of iOS11?
    I thought I read somewhere that Apple has the tech to upgrade iPhone iOS in a sealed box.

I suspect that the new iPhones have an iOS11 release that is not a beta, but mirrors the latest beta available when the iPhone was manufactured.

So, when you unbox your new iPhone, it will be running iOS11 and prompt you to upgrade if the version has been supplanted by a later release.

I don't believe that the new iPhones will be able to run anything earlier than iOS11.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13

Damn!  I'm trying to get out into the garage to do some woodworking before it gets too hot (predicted 104, today) -- but Apple keeps dropping interesting things.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I would imagine this would be the gold master since Apple has to load it onto millions of devices in time for release.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    mike1 said:
    I thought I read somewhere that Apple has the tech to upgrade iPhone iOS in a sealed box.

I suspect that the new iPhones have an iOS11 release that is not a beta, but mirrors the latest beta available when the iPhone was manufactured.

So, when you unbox your new iPhone, it will be running iOS11 and prompt you to upgrade if the version has been supplanted by a later release.

I don't believe that the new iPhones will be able to run anything earlier than iOS11.

Thanks. That would be very interesting if they had a way to bulk-wirelessly upgrade phones that are powered off and in the box.
    stanthemanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Anyone know what the current build number for the public beta is?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mike1 said:
    mike1 said:

Thanks. That would be very interesting if they had a way to bulk-wirelessly upgrade phones that are powered off and in the box.
    Cell phones can be remotely started/stopped with sufficient privileges because they're never really completely off (unless the battery is totally depleted). It makes one angry that Find TheBastardWhoStole My iPhone can't do this to start Lost Mode or send an Erase command, but anything that would cause the device to suddenly generate a lot of heat could have safety concerns (unless they were smart enough to code for that); I'm guessing it is probably only used for OEM file installation via BLE/NFC and the screen/cell-chips never power up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member

By all accounts, that's going to be one hell of a merge request. :)