Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 449

Mmm...

Reportedly, the Steve Jobs Theater has a seating capacity of 1,000.

I like a smaller venue for announcements like this as the audience and presenters tend to interact and their excitement feeds on each other.

Bill Graham Auditorium is 8,500 -- too big, IMO.

I attended the original Mac announcement at Flint Center, with a  capacity of 2,300 -- AIR, they didn't use the mezzanine or boxes, so about 1.900 seats -- it was great! 

Ahh... (wistfully) this will be some event!
    wonkothesanepatchythepiratewilliamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 449
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    sog35 said:
    We seeing $170 stock price this year bitches (my apologies to female canines )

Just as I predicted.
    Just stop. You don't predict anything that isn't well on it's way. And when you're flat-out wrong in your predictions, as you have been, you fail to do what you promised in return (self-ban). 

You're no schwammy, you're not a master investor, and there's nothing remarkable about your observations. 
    anantksundaramwonkothesanemacguiSolilkruppbloggerbloganomeradarthekatwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 43 of 449
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    avon b7 said:
    The colours on the invite look promising. I hope rose gold, dark greys and even black are given the boot for a few years.
    A dark blue iPhone would be so amazing...
    I would buy an iPhone in midnight blue in a heartbeat. 
    ronn
  • Reply 44 of 449
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

sog35 said:

Just as I predicted.
    We might see a drop in September. While most of what will and what won’t be in the phones are already in the stock price, any disappointment in iPhone 8 timing could disrupt that.
    we might see a drop right after the event.

But I think we see a strong rise starting near Thanksgiving. $170 unless the USA goes to war.
    This is something that we can agree on. My thoughts on pricing were were much broader for this year. I’ve been thinking that the end of the year would see anywhere between $160 and $175. That was befor all of the brouhaha of the new phones, and the info about the iMac Pro, and the new Mac Pro.

so, who really knows? I don’t worry about it. On average, year over year, it will go up faster than the S&P 500.
  • Reply 45 of 449
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    mike1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    mike54 said:
    ... one more thing... Mac Mini !     ...please?
    Fugget About It.
    Especially as a "one more thing". That would be a huge letdown.
    I would like the iPhone Pro / 8 / X / 7SJ to be the one more thing, keep the puzzled crowd wondering and questionning all the rumours until the end, just like bands keeping their biggest hit for the encore.
  • Reply 46 of 449
    a blue iphone to be released?  i inadvertently blue myself.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 47 of 449

Mmm...

Reportedly, the Steve Jobs Theater has a seating capacity of 1,000.

I like a smaller venue for announcements like this as the audience and presenters tend to interact and their excitement feeds on each other.

Bill Graham Auditorium is 8,500 -- too big, IMO.

I attended the original Mac announcement at Flint Center, with a  capacity of 2,300 -- AIR, they didn't use the mezzanine or boxes, so about 1.900 seats -- it was great! 

Ahh... (wistfully) this will be some event!
    Yeah. As this is a press conference, there will be plenty of room, so Apple can invite people themselves, and fill it up if necessary. 

Too bad it’s way too small for the developer’s conference, but I suppose the cost would have been much to high to accommodate over 6,000 people.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 48 of 449
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

sog35 said:

Just as I predicted.
    We might see a drop in September. While most of what will and what won’t be in the phones are already in the stock price, any disappointment in iPhone 8 timing could disrupt that.

But I think we see a strong rise starting near Thanksgiving. $170 unless the USA goes to war.
    This is something that we can agree on. My thoughts on pricing were were much broader for this year. I’ve been thinking that the end of the year would see anywhere between $160 and $175. That was befor all of the brouhaha of the new phones, and the info about the iMac Pro, and the new Mac Pro.

so, who really knows? I don’t worry about it. On average, year over year, it will go up faster than the S&P 500.
    You, sog35, and the median analyst out there...
    Soliradarthekat
  • Reply 49 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    The colours on the invite look promising. I hope rose gold, dark greys and even black are given the boot for a few years.
    Yeah, that, and the RED product color is spectacular.
  • Reply 50 of 449
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    Yeah, that, and the RED product color is spectacular.
    I really hope there will be a project red version. That's what got me into the 7.

Excited for this event. There's going to be all the hardware announced let alone everything related to iOS 11 and how it factors into the new feature set of the new iPhone. So happy we're less than 2 weeks away. There's going to be so much exciting speculation.
  • Reply 51 of 449
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

sog35 said:

Just as I predicted.

You, sog35, and the median analyst out there...
    Well, when we invest, one of the things we do, and I’m sure you do it too, is to try to figure out where our investments are going. It’s not just Apple’s price, I try to figure out where the others are going to as well. I’m usually fairly close. I only invest in the computer and telecommunications industries, and I’ve been doing it since I was 13 back in 1963, which I’m sure you’ve read in previous posts over the years, so I know it fairly well. I’m also sure you read my posts in 2004 when I made my first big Apple buy after the market crash of 1999.

i haven’t sold a share of it since, and have picked up a bit more here and there upon major dips. But I’ve disagreed with my long time broker in one account, Henry, about selling the stock. I don’t make an investment without evaluating it, and coming up with price estimates. One of my brokers asks me every year if I’m thinking of selling Apple in that account, at that brokerage, and I say “maybe, but not likely now”. I’ve been saying that for years.

i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    iqatedoradarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 52 of 449
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    lkrupp said:
    Always a Debbie Downer in the group.
    Also known as "realists"...

• Reply 53 of 449
    Exciting! Can't wait for the new Apple TV!
    I can't wait to see the inside of the Steve Jobs Theater.  
    lolliver
  • Reply 54 of 449
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    randominternetpersonlolliver
  • Reply 55 of 449
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed.

Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
     :D  He stated on this week's MBW that he caved and sent a request to someone for an invitation. I'm not a fan of him and wouldn't be heartbroken if he were turned down.

There are still plenty of leaks given the scope of Apple's production. We'll see how many were accurate. I'd like to see Apple announce something that was completely off everyone's radar. Very tough to do these days.
    patchythepirateronn
  • Reply 56 of 449
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

sog35 said:

Just as I predicted.

These are just obvious guesses that real analysts made a lot time ago. There's nothing special about suggesting that market trends could make the stock value go up (or down). It's all just short-term dicksucking by idiots.
    StrangeDaysanantksundaram
  • Reply 57 of 449

Exciting! Can't wait for the new Apple TV!
    I can't wait to see the inside of the Steve Jobs Theater.  
    I hope they also give us a long documentary—even if we have to watch on apple.com later—about the design and construction of Apple Park.
    patchythepiratejax44radarthekatlolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 58 of 449
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 59 of 449
    They're going to be cutting it close on the Steve Jobs Theater. The latest quadrocopter "spy videos" showed people still working on it. Could still be some loose nuts and bolts in need of tightening.
    I'm not sure what your point is. What aspect of the work being done above ground doesn't look like it could be ready for whatever will be shown underground in the theater? All I've seen above ground around the theater are some basic landscaping and some finishing touches and cleanup of the visible parts of the theater itself.
    lolliver
  • Reply 60 of 449
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    melgross said:

mike54 said:
    ... one more thing... Mac Mini !     ...please?
    This isn’t a Mac event, so that would be unlikely, though not impossible.
    Even at a Mac Event, it's possible the mini could be updated quietly at the site with no additional announcement. Apple has done that several times in the past with different products. I think they did that once with iMacs after an iPad event.
    lollivernetmage