Samsung reveals iPhone-compatible Gear Sport and Gear Fit2 Pro, poised to compete with 201...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Samsung on Wednesday announced two new fitness-oriented wearables, the Gear Sport and Gear Fit2 Pro, which will square off with the Apple Watch "Series 3" coming this fall.

The Gear Sport is a smartwatch equipped with a round, 1.2-inch AMOLED display, as well as a 1 gigahertz dual-core processor, 4 gigabytes of storage, and a 300 milliamp-hour battery, Samsung said. It runs the company's Tizen operating system, and can pair with both iPhones and Android devices. Connection options include Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and NFC, the last enabling Samsung Pay.

For fitness purposes the device meets MIL-STD-810G durability standards, along with 5 ATM water resistance. Sensors include a barometer and heart rate monitor, while GPS, GLONASS, and even China's BeiDou are supported for navigation.

The Gear Fit2 Pro is explicitly just a fitness tracker, but features many of the same specifications as the Sport. Apart from software, the main differences are a curved 1.5-inch screen, a 200 milliamp-hour battery, and the absence of NFC.

Neither of the devices run Bixby, the Samsung voice assistant found on the Galaxy S8 and Note 8.

The Gear Sport should ship sometime this holiday season, but pricing is unavailable. Preorders for the Fit2 Pro start on Thursday for $199.99, with an official launch on Sept. 15.

Apple is expected to reveal a third-generation Apple Watch on Sept. 12. While most features are unknown, the highlight is predicted to be LTE support, something the new Samsung devices lack. The technology is on other Samsung wearables however, such as the Gear S3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Samsung is trying to impress people by saying it meets MIL-STD-810G, I know this standard and use to test things and not one other military used it any more. I highly doubt it meet most of the requirements at a product level, maybe some of the component could pass.

I want to see if it actually passed Method 511 Explosive Atmosphere, or Method 519 Gunfire Shock or maybe Method 522 Ballistic Shock.

I doubt their watch are this rugged, there are other ruggized standards out their for electronics other than this Mil Std I wonder why they did not use one of those.

edited August 2017 fotoformaturahararadarthekatpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    anyone ever see one in the wild? (love that saying)....i have not
    edited August 2017 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Oh look. Activity rings. How original.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    NY1822 said:
    even living in Seoul I can say no, I have never seen one. The huge one I has seen a few times, but I have seen many more apple watches. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    One of my colleagues has a gear fit. It came free with her phone. As a Samsung person she likes it, but it is really only a fitness activity device, which to be frank, she needs to do a lot more of.

I think these will compete with an Apple watch on price.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Butt  ugly of monstrous sizes. It's not competing with the Apple Watch for anyone in a professional setting that's for sure.

So, are people going to have to buy 2 watches?

They use the Mil, whatever for marketing reasons and nothing else.
    edited August 2017 melodyof1974magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Certain tech gods who regularly grace us with their presence have been screaming for a round screen and will not deign to buy an Watch because of it. Well boys, heeeeeer they are!
    melodyof1974watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    jkichline said:
     they just can’t help themselves, can they?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    jkichline said:
    It doesn't stop there, the hands are ripped off too, nothing more than a very minor alteration to the hands on the activity rings apple watch face.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jkichline said:
     they just can’t help themselves, can they?
    They are shameless, everything Google releases, Samsung has to copy. Or was it Fitbit that came out with the activity rings first?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    foggyhill said:

Butt  ugly of monstrous sizes. It's not competing with the Apple Watch for anyone in a professional setting that's for sure.

So, are people going to have to buy 2 watches?

They use the Mil, whatever for marketing reasons and nothing else.
    The Fit2 could compete with AW in the professional environment -- that style is becoming popular in professional settings -- so the wearer can demonstrate their commitment to health while they sit at their desk.

But, the Sport seems to be directed at those more serious about health and exercise.  As such the wearer may choose to use it mostly for exercise tracking and leave it off while in the office.  Hardware wise, it sounds comparable to the Apple Watch and could challenge the AW for its target market -- health oriented active exercisers.   But, it's success will entirely depend on the functionality of its software.  And both this and the AW will be competing with Garmin in the (serious) exercise market.

Currently, Garmin remains a standout for runners.  Nobody has the software to compete with them.
    (Before I get crucified as an Apple hater, I have an AW, use it for exercise and love it.   But I like it for its overall functionality.)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    NY1822 said:
    Seems early days yet.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I like the Apple Watch as all around smartwatch/fitness watch that looks good in any environment.

The Sammie Sport is more fitness watch than smartwatch and looks it. As a fitness watch it's not bad looking. I wouldn't use it as a daily driver myself, but that's what preference is all about.

Apple isn't without some shame on co-opting features from other devices, the Sport's use of rings doesn't bother me at all. I think rings are a great way to keep track of certain metrics at a glance.

The Apple Workout app doesn't let me see the green Exercise ring the way I want, so I'm curious as to whether the Sport might, not that I'd jump ship.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macgui said:
    I like the Apple Watch as all around smartwatch/fitness watch that looks good in any environment.

The Sammie Sport is more fitness watch than smartwatch and looks it. As a fitness watch it's not bad looking. I wouldn't use it as a daily driver myself, but that's what preference is all about.

Apple isn't without some shame on co-opting features from other devices, the Sport's use of rings doesn't bother me at all. I think rings are a great way to keep track of certain metrics at a glance.

The Apple Workout app doesn't let me see the green Exercise ring the way I want, so I'm curious as to whether the Sport might, not that I'd jump ship.
    I have mixed feelings about the rings:
    ...They do set minimums which is good.
    ...But they only report minimums which is bad.

There are multiple days each week where I double and triple the the amount of exercise time and energy I expend.   The AW rings only show me whether I passed the minimum for the day -- but provides no 'credit' for going beyond.

It's analogous to current recommendations to get "150 minutes of moderate exercise a day".  In actuality, that is the minimum -- not the optimum.   Yet, people use it as a goal and believe they've achieved something good by getting there.   In actuality, it's like getting a "D" in school.  Yes, you passed, but that's about it.  Should you feel good about it?