Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 449
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross said:
    i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about investing too, manage mine as well, so I am good.

The last thing this board needs is another sog35-type amateur investor bragging about stock price estimates for Apple (or any other stock), or some back and forth about market price forecasts. They go nowhere quickly.
    Condescending advice? What was condescending about it?
    stompypatchythepiratepscooter63
  • Reply 82 of 449
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    They're going to be cutting it close on the Steve Jobs Theater. The latest quadrocopter "spy videos" showed people still working on it. Could still be some loose nuts and bolts in need of tightening.
    An orchestra I've played with performs in a renovated, small-town vaudeville theater. On opening night, the audience was held in the lobby while volunteers bolted down the last of the new seats.
    SpamSandwichstompyStrangeDays
  • Reply 83 of 449
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cincytee said:
    They're going to be cutting it close on the Steve Jobs Theater. The latest quadrocopter "spy videos" showed people still working on it. Could still be some loose nuts and bolts in need of tightening.
    An orchestra I've played with performs in a renovated, small-town vaudeville theater. On opening night, the audience was held in the lobby while volunteers bolted down the last of the new seats.
    That could be the case, but we simply have no way of knowing what is or isn't done in the underground facility based on some drones looking at contractors planing some foliage and cleaning some windows in the above-ground entryway.
  • Reply 84 of 449
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    avon b7 said:
    The colours on the invite look promising. I hope rose gold, dark greys and even black are given the boot for a few years.
    What?  NO.

I don't care much what color the back is, I'll put a black case on it.

But I do not want a white (or any other color) bezel on the front.

But really, there's one color for my phone.  And that color is black.
    lolliverwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 85 of 449
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Gosh, what're we gonna do for the next two weeks?! Wish there were a FF button...
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobrauniscape
  • Reply 86 of 449
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    But that only accounts for active jammers, right? They could simply refortify the structure so that data is hard to be passed through the thick walls, right?

Still, I do see why it would help Apple to do this expect to push more people to their own streams, but I'd argue that even that doesn't help to get the knowledge out about their new products.
    I believe so. You used to be able to buy them like 10 years ago. Yep, Apple could do that with the walls. Since its underground, phone service might not work well to begin with. As someone else mentioned, they don't have to offer WiFi either. I agree though. I don't see why Apple would bother trying to stop people from having a live blog of the event. 
  • Reply 87 of 449
    Tomorrow I will know if I buy iPhone 6 with proper jack socket to use high quality headphones with phone inline controls or I will have to buy expensive high quality converter that can be hooked up to USB dongle for iPhone because quality of Lightning to audio jack conversion is really bad (garbage dongle from Apple, but also from other vendors). I am talking about AudioQuest DragonFly Red with Sennheisser headphones rather than white ear rechargable popular jewelery that I see on streets of NYC and other places.
  • Reply 88 of 449
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    puiz666 said:
    Has anyone literally spent five seconds thinking about these names??
    Lots of people have wasted countless hours caring about something as silly as Apple's naming convention.

Q: If there's no product called iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPhone Pro, iPhone Edition, iPhone Wubba Lubba Dub Dub will it really matter if the product has the features you want at a price that is agreeable to you? If you're a reasonable person it shouldn't matter one iota.
    I agree. I’ve never understood the big deal. In fact, I got into a long discussion with someone, I don’t remember his name, who ran a developer website several years ago, about the numerical naming of OS X when it was at 10.9. His claim was that the naming convention that Apple was using could never allow them to go to 10.10. I scoffed at that, and said that they could do whatever they wanted to, and that I’d bet that they would go to 10.10. He was really adamant about it. Seriously adamant.

i couldn’t see the big deal.
    There were several on this forum. I think one of them was Benjamin Frost. The general argument that once you get to 10 you have to update the value on the other side of the "decimal," but it's not a decimal, it's a period to denote a separation. Pointing out that the version numbers are xx.yy.zz and math in English only uses a single decimal to denote a fraction of a whole number escaped them.

Additionally, giving plenty of examples of version numbers that far exceeded single digit values and even included letters wasn't enough to convince them. Even after Apple made the inevitable change they kept saying Apple was wrong.

Here are some apps from High Sierra 10.13b8:
    • Safari - Version 11.0 (13604.1.38.1.6)
    • Chrome - Version 56.0.2924.87
    • iTunes 12.7.0.48

It was getting really silly for a while. I never understood what the big deal was. I just got annoyed at a few people here and there who were saying that Apple had to do this, or couldn’t do that.

its like the arguments we used to have about what a generation was. Was it from when a new case and screen came along every two years, and remained the next year, or was it simply every year. That was fun.

then there was the “You’ve got to buy it the first year.”, or “You’ve got to buy it the second year.”

While it can be fun arguing these things, some people take it too seriously.
    avon b7stompyStrangeDayslolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 89 of 449
    melgross said:
    i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about investing too, manage mine as well, so I am good.

The last thing this board needs is another sog35-type amateur investor bragging about stock price estimates for Apple (or any other stock), or some back and forth about market price forecasts. They go nowhere quickly.
    Condescending advice? What was condescending about it?
    Why, are you the expert on condescension?
  • Reply 90 of 449

melgross said:

I don’t know what you consider to be an amateur. You can only speak for yourself. In addition, any estimates we care to make, based on whatever facts and speculation we care to us, is our business, not yours. And remember that you are the one who. Made a condescending post to me. I didn’t make one to you. I was just explaining my position.

sorry that your superior sensibility and knowledge was hurt.
    lolliveruniscapepatchythepiratenetmage
  • Reply 91 of 449
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    But that only accounts for active jammers, right? They could simply refortify the structure so that data is hard to be passed through the thick walls, right?

Still, I do see why it would help Apple to do this expect to push more people to their own streams, but I'd argue that even that doesn't help to get the knowledge out about their new products.
    I believe so. You used to be able to buy them like 10 years ago. Yep, Apple could do that with the walls. Since its underground, phone service might not work well to begin with. As someone else mentioned, they don't have to offer WiFi either. I agree though. I don't see why Apple would bother trying to stop people from having a live blog of the event. 
    While Apple doesn’t have to offer their own WiFi, though they might, they’re aren’t allowed to actively jam any telecommunication signals. If it could be shown that the building was built to purposefully jam signals, Apple could get in trouble. If anything, I would think that they would want to aid these people, not hold them back.
  • Reply 92 of 449

Tomorrow I will know if I buy iPhone 6 with proper jack socket to use high quality headphones with phone inline controls or I will have to buy expensive high quality converter that can be hooked up to USB dongle for iPhone because quality of Lightning to audio jack conversion is really bad (garbage dongle from Apple, but also from other vendors). I am talking about AudioQuest DragonFly Red with Sennheisser headphones rather than white ear rechargable popular jewelery that I see on streets of NYC and other places.
    The DragonFly is ok. Not my favorite, but ok for that use.
  • Reply 93 of 449
    melgross said:

melgross said:

I don’t know what you consider to be an amateur. You can only speak for yourself. In addition, any estimates we care to make, based on whatever facts and speculation we care to us, is our business, not yours. And remember that you are the one who. Made a condescending post to me. I didn’t make one to you. I was just explaining my position.

Oh gosh, not at all. I quite vividly recall our many discussions from many years ago, and your views on basic principles of valuation, and on things such as PE ratios, risk, cash flows, cost of capital, etc. Basedd on the many things you've said, I have a rather strong basis for the view I have formed.

That said, it's your wont to express any opinion on this forum, just as it is mine. It's a free country. It should be pointed out, however, that you seemed to be the one to take umbrage over my pointing out -- a couple of others pointed it out too, earlier in this thread -- that price forecasts for AAPL in the $175 region were not unique to you or sog35. I was simply saying something similar, and providing data on the median analyst forecast which also happens to be $175 per share (with a max that goes to $208). And I gave you a link.

Perhaps you or sog35 do (although I would find that difficult to believe), but I have no superior sensibility or knowledge to forecast stock prices.

As an aside, didn't AI used to have a separate section of stock price discussions (just as they did for political discussions)? I don't know if it's still there, but given the topic at hand in this blog, it seems like a discussion of stock price forecasts seems a tad misplaced.

edited August 2017
  • Reply 94 of 449
    melgross said:

melgross said:

Oh gosh, not at all. I quite vividly recall our many discussions from many years ago, and your views on basic principles of valuation, and on things such as PE ratios, risk, cash flows, cost of capital, etc. Basedd on the many things you've said, I have a rather strong basis for the view I have formed.

That said, it's your wont to express any opinion on this forum, just as it is mine. It's a free country. It should be pointed out, however, that you seemed to be the one to take umbrage over my pointing out -- a couple of others pointed it out too, earlier in this thread -- that price forecasts for AAPL in the $175 region were not unique to you or sog35. I was simply saying something similar, and providing data on the median analyst forecast which also happens to be $175 per share (with a max that goes to $208). And I gave you a link.

Perhaps you or sog35 do (although I would find that difficult to believe), but I have no superior sensibility or knowledge to forecast stock prices.

As an aside, didn't AI used to have a separate section of stock price discussions (just as they did for political discussions)? I don't know if it's still there, but given the topic at hand in this blog, it seems like a discussion of stock price forecasts seems a tad misplaced.

It’s nice that you’ve formed such a strong opinion of my investing knowledge. I’d be curious as to which one if has done better during that time, but obviously, that can never happen. There’s usually a good reason as to why different people come to a similar conclusion about something, and that’s not bad. You seem to be trying to make it so though.
    patchythepirateSpamSandwich
  • Reply 95 of 449
    Sept 12! That's less than 2 week away! Apple had better finalize the design of the iPhone 8 soon. /s
    radarthekatSoliRayz2016lolliverwatto_cobrawreighvenrandominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwich
  • Reply 96 of 449
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Room size and building size Faraday cages are very difficult to implement and at those scales even the shielded room itself can become a radiator. I'd love to know if Apple could get it right.
  • Reply 97 of 449
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    "Welcome to Steve Jobs Theater, also the world's largest anechoic chamber. Don't bother silencing your cell phones because LOL, you don't get a signal. Need to connect to the Internet during our press event? The Wifi password is located in your Welcome packet."
  • Reply 98 of 449
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    melgross said:

This particular member is quite the condescending one. Just had an extremely unpleasant discussion with him about software pricing. He thinks quite highly of his opinion.
    anantksundarampatchythepirate
  • Reply 99 of 449
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    I'd love it if they present video of Steve Jobs introducing the theatre as he knew it was coming. 
    Maybe they'll use a Tupac-style 'hologram'.
    Gorillas as the music act.
  • Reply 100 of 449
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:
    We seeing $170 stock price this year bitches (my apologies to female canines )

Just as I predicted.
    You don't need to inject the stock price into every fucking thread. 
    baconstangrevenantradarthekatStrangeDaysSolianantksundaramRayz2016lollivergatorguywatto_cobra