Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 449
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Mac mini refresh?
  • Reply 102 of 449
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    They're going to be cutting it close on the Steve Jobs Theater. The latest quadrocopter "spy videos" showed people still working on it. Could still be some loose nuts and bolts in need of tightening.
    Very common in construction to have loose ends fixed up well after the grand opening.    I would expect that it will be another year before all the contractors leave the work site.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 103 of 449
    Will be interesting to see what other changes and improvements Apple will offer with the iPhone 8 / X / Pro that haven't leaked already.  I feel like we're only hearing about some of the bigger changes, like the shift to OLED, facial scanning, glass back.  I wonder what kind of improvements they'll bring on processor speed, graphics, battery life, etc., as those things are what makes the experience what it is.  Would be great for them to get 18-24 hour battery life as well as an even better water resistance rating.
    Processor speed - Class leading. Gaphics - Class leading. Battery life - Class leading, unless Apple decides to cut down on the battery capacity significantly compared to the iPhone 7 generation. A11 will be a huge improvement compared to A10 due to movement to 10nm this year. Benchmarks for A10X already prove that. Android flagship phones this year (with 10nm SD 835/Exynos 8895) have "similar" battery life compared to last year, despite having "smaller" batteries. Hope Apple does not take that route this year.
    The 10 nm shrink is good for power but we don't know if Apple will implement anything that uses up that power budget.     We could see new tech in the SoC such as an Apple designed GPU (hi probability) or an accelerator for machine learning or AI like behavior (low probability).

We have no idea what Apple GPU will be like but it pretty much has to arrive this year due to already indicated expiring relationship with Imagination.   The question is what will that Apple GPU be doing that Imagination wasn't able to deliver.   I suspect at least a bit more capability for computational threads and heterogenous computing.    Then we can expect a big boost to the CPU, likely going to double the cores, this due to the expansion in die area.    SoC power could very well be in the same ball park when maxed out, idle should be a big win though.
  • Reply 104 of 449
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    This means the facility will have passed inspection. Is there any evidence that this has occurred yet?
    So Apple announced it would take place in the Steve Jobs Theater but they lied to us?
    I'm not understanding your point. Are you saying that the inspection for occupancy has already happened, that the info was already stated, and that I'm somehow purposely saying that Apple is lying about the inspection having already taken place?
    The 'point' is why do you require proof that Apple has the required permits to hold the event in the Steve Jobs Theater? Apple had announced the event would take place in the theater yet YOU seek evidence that occupancy permits have been issued. Why is it your business to question whether Apple may legally hold the event in their own building when it's pretty obvious they will do so? I suppose you could file a freedom of information claim at Cupertino City Hall demanding to see said inspection permits. Maybe you could get back to us then.
    edited August 2017 radarthekatStrangeDayslollivernetmage
  • Reply 105 of 449
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    This means the facility will have passed inspection. Is there any evidence that this has occurred yet?
    So Apple announced it would take place in the Steve Jobs Theater but they lied to us?
    I'm not understanding your point. Are you saying that the inspection for occupancy has already happened, that the info was already stated, and that I'm somehow purposely saying that Apple is lying about the inspection having already taken place?
    The 'point' is why do you require proof that Apple has the required permits to hold the event in the Steve Jobs Theater? Apple had announced the event would take place in the theater yet YOU seek evidence that occupancy permits have been issued. Why is it your business to question whether Apple may legally hold the event in their own building when it's pretty obvious they will do so? I suppose you could file a freedom of information claim at Cupertino City Hall demanding to see said inspection permits. Maybe you could get back to us then.
    Well, let me show ya something...

• Reply 106 of 449
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    But that only accounts for active jammers, right? They could simply refortify the structure so that data is hard to be passed through the thick walls, right?

Still, I do see why it would help Apple to do this expect to push more people to their own streams, but I'd argue that even that doesn't help to get the knowledge out about their new products.
    I believe so. You used to be able to buy them like 10 years ago. Yep, Apple could do that with the walls. Since its underground, phone service might not work well to begin with. As someone else mentioned, they don't have to offer WiFi either. I agree though. I don't see why Apple would bother trying to stop people from having a live blog of the event. 
    While Apple doesn’t have to offer their own WiFi, though they might, they’re aren’t allowed to actively jam any telecommunication signals. If it could be shown that the building was built to purposefully jam signals, Apple could get in trouble. If anything, I would think that they would want to aid these people, not hold them back.
    A building opaque to RF transmission is not illegal.   What is illegal is the active transmission of an RF signal that interferes with the lawful use of spectrum allocated to other services.   

While the FCC often gets saddled with tasks It doesn't really want to pursue by congress, their primary concern is the management of a limited resource.    Jammers by definition interfere with lawful transmission from services allocated to the band that the jammer is operating on.
    stompyrandominternetpersonpscooter63
  • Reply 107 of 449
    So by holding it in the Steve Jobs theater they’re either not inviting many in the media or not many employees will be attending. 
  • Reply 108 of 449
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Looks like two iPhones in picture.
    I agree 
  • Reply 109 of 449
    So by holding it in the Steve Jobs theater they’re either not inviting many in the media or not many employees will be attending. 
    Doesn’t it seat 1,000?
  • Reply 110 of 449
    polymnia said:
    melgross said:
    i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about investing too, manage mine as well, so I am good.

The last thing this board needs is another sog35-type amateur investor bragging about stock price estimates for Apple (or any other stock), or some back and forth about market price forecasts. They go nowhere quickly.
    This particular member is quite the condescending one. Just had an extremely unpleasant discussion with him about software pricing. He thinks quite highly of his opinion.
    I think he means well. Perhaps it's a problem with communication style. 
  • Reply 111 of 449
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    Come again? Where did I require anything from Apple? I simply asked if there was any evidence that the inspection has already occurred—which is a topic that has been brought up often in regards to Apple Park and often publicly posted by cities. Also, it's my business to ask questions here just as much as its your business to ask question here, except that mine are actually relevant to the topic at hand and yours sound like your somehow offended that I'm curious to know the details of the occupancy permit.
  • Reply 112 of 449
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about investing too, manage mine as well, so I am good.

The last thing this board needs is another sog35-type amateur investor bragging about stock price estimates for Apple (or any other stock), or some back and forth about market price forecasts. They go nowhere quickly.
    I don’t know what you consider to be an amateur. You can only speak for yourself. In addition, any estimates we care to make, based on whatever facts and speculation we care to us, is our business, not yours. And remember that you are the one who. Made a condescending post to me. I didn’t make one to you. I was just explaining my position.

sorry that your superior sensibility and knowledge was hurt.
    Oh gosh, not at all. I quite vividly recall our many discussions from many years ago, and your views on basic principles of valuation, and on things such as PE ratios, risk, cash flows, cost of capital, etc. Basedd on the many things you've said, I have a rather strong basis for the view I have formed.

That said, it's your wont to express any opinion on this forum, just as it is mine. It's a free country. It should be pointed out, however, that you seemed to be the one to take umbrage over my pointing out -- a couple of others pointed it out too, earlier in this thread -- that price forecasts for AAPL in the $175 region were not unique to you or sog35. I was simply saying something similar, and providing data on the median analyst forecast which also happens to be $175 per share (with a max that goes to $208). And I gave you a link.

Perhaps you or sog35 do (although I would find that difficult to believe), but I have no superior sensibility or knowledge to forecast stock prices.

As an aside, didn't AI used to have a separate section of stock price discussions (just as they did for political discussions)? I don't know if it's still there, but given the topic at hand in this blog, it seems like a discussion of stock price forecasts seems a tad misplaced.

It’s nice that you’ve formed such a strong opinion of my investing knowledge. I’d be curious as to which one if has done better during that time, but obviously, that can never happen. There’s usually a good reason as to why different people come to a similar conclusion about something, and that’s not bad. You seem to be trying to make it so though.
    I said I have a 'strong basis' for my opinion. That's not the same as 'strong opinion.' Don't misstate.

I don't get into contests over who has.... er... bigger hands. I am glad you have convinced yourself that you can clearly separate luck from skill. Good for you.  
    Soli
  • Reply 113 of 449
    Based on the rumoured size of the venue, it sounds like both will be reduced. As I stated previously, I'm hoping we find out about the maximum occupancy of the auditorium and gleen some useful data about how differs from other major events, but @lkrupp has taken offense to that notion. For all we know they decided to go with different chairs that allow for more total seating than what the original plans stated 5 years ago. We also could've missed plans to change the physical size of the venue.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 114 of 449
    Doesn’t it seat 1,000?
    Yes but other venues seat more. Flint Center accomodates over 2,400; Bill Graham Civic Auditorium around 7,000.
  • Reply 115 of 449
    Doesn’t it seat 1,000?
    Exactly 1000 or is that just a number that was thrown around so long ago that Steve Jobs was still alive? It's been long enough that things could change. Even seats that are a little wider or more narrow, or rows a little closer or further apart could easily affect that number if nothing else has changed.
  • Reply 116 of 449
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Soli said:
    Doesn’t it seat 1,000?
    Exactly 1000 or is that just a number that was thrown around so long ago that Steve Jobs was still alive? It's been long enough that things could change. Even seats that are a little wider or more narrow, or rows a little closer or further apart could easily affect that number if nothing else has changed.
    Exactly number was probably 1024 with all seats in banks of 8 but a few have been lost along the way.
    roundaboutnowGG1eightzero
  • Reply 117 of 449
    Nice... Really Excited!!
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 118 of 449
    Yes but other venues seat more. Flint Center accomodates over 2,400; Bill Graham Civic Auditorium around 7,000.
    Sure, but how many Apple employees need to be there, anyway? I know that most of them have absolutely no idea what they’re working on until they see it at the event, but it always smacked of patting themselves on the back a bit too much to me (what with them leading applause and all).
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 119 of 449
    Sure, but how many Apple employees need to be there, anyway? I know that most of them have absolutely no idea what they’re working on until they see it at the event, but it always smacked of patting themselves on the back a bit too much to me (what with them leading applause and all).
    To me, that seems like a waste, but they probably had plenty of extra seats to fill in the past. This will be landmark event for many reasons, one of which I hope will make this the most remembered event since the original 2007 introduction of the iPhone*.

We've talked about this before, but it'll be interesting to see how they do either hands-on demos or products behind glass cases after the event. Will this happen downstairs (just below the glass entryway) and/or upstairs where there's plenty of natural mid-day light. Or, they could have it in another facility. Additionally, will this be setup beforehand but covered and protected by security, or will they have staff bring it in and setup during the event which could be captured by drones. I hope there are drones capturing the massive number of people coming and going for this first event.

* Most people remember that event but don't recall that the Apple TV was first announced there by name right before the iPhone.

edited August 2017 tallest skilpatchythepirate
  • Reply 120 of 449
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    I'm predicting it will be called "iPhone 10th Anniversary"