Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 449
    I put everything I had into AAPL 9 years ago. I have never touched it and last week my investment passed the 3 million mark. I was feeling a bit guilty ... the old pretestant work ethic you know ... getting money for nothing. But now I am told that I am an ACTIVE investor. That's makes me feel good  ... an active, hardworking investor deserves his dividend :-)
    macseekeruniscapemelodyof1974SpamSandwichpscooter63
  • Reply 122 of 449
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tyler82 said:
    I'm predicting it will be called "iPhone 10th Anniversary"
    As the official title of the device? I think they did that with the 20th Anniversary Mac, but that turned out to be a market flop and I'm not sure it flows well.

What if they just called it "iPhone" and let the new design appearance speak for itself? 
  • Reply 123 of 449
    staigard said:
    I put everything I had into AAPL 9 years ago. I have never touched it and last week my investment passed the 3 million mark. I was feeling a bit guilty ... the old pretestant work ethic you know ... getting money for nothing. But now I am told that I am an ACTIVE investor. That's makes me feel good  ... an active, hardworking investor deserves his dividend :-)
    I started investing with Apple long before dividends came about and even then I was able to live off my dividends from other investments. When Apple started issuing them that just made everything even better.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 124 of 449
    tyler82 said:
    I'm predicting it will be called "iPhone 10th Anniversary”
    As it’s the 11th iPhone, they should call it “iPhone 2.”
    randominternetpersonnetmage
  • Reply 125 of 449
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:
    tyler82 said:
    As the official title of the device? I think they did that with the 20th Anniversary Mac, but that turned out to be a market flop and I'm not sure it flows well.

What if they just called it "iPhone" and let the new design appearance speak for itself? 
    But...but...you can't tell if it's a better phone, or just a rehash of the previous phone if you don't give it a name...
    Soli
  • Reply 126 of 449
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    tyler82 said:
    Wouldn't that be iPhone3 not 2?
    I'm hoping it is just called iPhone 8 but they launch a smaller 4inch version in Jan and call that the 11th aniversary iPhone. 
  • Reply 127 of 449
    tyler82 said:
    I wasn't going to mention it, but if we go by general release series and rumours, then it would be iPhone 11 since the iPhone 7s series would be the 10th. Of course, this assumes that we don't count any mid-cycle releases that are mostly the same internals of a previous model, like with the iPhone 5c and SE.

anome said:
    Soli said:

But...but...you can't tell if it's a better phone, or just a rehash of the previous phone if you don't give it a name…
    I know you're joking, but unfortunately that's something that marketing has to contend with because customers are usually pretty dumb. Perhaps I'm giving too much credit to the customer, or perhaps by giving it a long title like "iPhone 10th Anniversary” it may create negative buzz if customers believe that its $1000+ price tag is based purely on the name and not the cutting edge technologies being used to usher in the next era of mobile computing. I'm sure they've had many more and smarter people considering all aspects of the marketing for a very long time, and even then nothing is certain when it comes to customers reacting emotionally over something they're not being forced to purchase.
  • Reply 128 of 449
    mattinoz said:
    tyler82 said:
    Wouldn't that be iPhone3 not 2?
    I'm hoping it is just called iPhone 8 but they launch a smaller 4inch version in Jan and call that the 11th aniversary iPhone. 
    That depends. iPhone 11 could be seen as decimal value eleven, Roman numeral two, binary 3, and has a hex value (0x11) would be converted into binary value of 17. :smiley: 
    edited September 2017 netmage
  • Reply 129 of 449
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    That would pretty much piss off everyone that goes to the event. They do live updates with pics and can commentary during the event every year. Blocking everyone from doing that would cause a huge backlash. 
  • Reply 130 of 449
    Soli said:
    …it would be iPhone 11 since the iPhone 7s series would be the 10th.
    Only if you count the 3G as being the same phone as the original since it used the same processor.

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7S

That’s 11 for the last one. 8 (in the normal cycle) is 12, but apparently they ARE actually going to release either two models or just 7 with a modified body for its ‘lower price’ release.
    Soli
  • Reply 131 of 449
    Soli said:
    …it would be iPhone 11 since the iPhone 7s series would be the 10th.
    Only if you count the 3G as being the same phone as the original since it used the same processor.

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7S

That’s 11 for the last one. 8 (in the normal cycle) is 12, but apparently they ARE actually going to release either two models or just 7 with a modified body for its ‘lower price’ release.
    1)You are correct. I failed to take into account that the first one starts at year 0, the 2nd hits at year one, and so on. Kind of like how a child turns one age but it's their age+1 birthday because their birth is the original birthday.

2) It may be the same processor but more than enough of the internals and the casing were changed for the iPhone 3G that I would consider it the 2nd generation iPhone.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 132 of 449
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    That would pretty much piss off everyone that goes to the event. They do live updates with pics and can commentary during the event every year. Blocking everyone from doing that would cause a huge backlash. 
    I'm not seeing much of an upside to Apple having complete control over the realtime feeds, but that may mean they do need to have a great WiFi set up to deal with all the people uploading text and images during the event. I'd expect Apple has their own hardline for their stream. I guess we'll find out in a week and a half.
  • Reply 133 of 449
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    They're going to be cutting it close on the Steve Jobs Theater. The latest quadrocopter "spy videos" showed people still working on it. Could still be some loose nuts and bolts in need of tightening.
    Of particular concern might be the (surely state of the art) AV systems. New installs can be quite trouble prone.
    netmage
  • Reply 134 of 449
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Perfect theater to pay tribute to Steve on the 10th anniversary of his incredible original iPhone.
    Wallet open and ready.
    edited September 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 135 of 449
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    wizard69 said:
    Will be interesting to see what other changes and improvements Apple will offer with the iPhone 8 / X / Pro that haven't leaked already.  I feel like we're only hearing about some of the bigger changes, like the shift to OLED, facial scanning, glass back.  I wonder what kind of improvements they'll bring on processor speed, graphics, battery life, etc., as those things are what makes the experience what it is.  Would be great for them to get 18-24 hour battery life as well as an even better water resistance rating.
    Processor speed - Class leading. Gaphics - Class leading. Battery life - Class leading, unless Apple decides to cut down on the battery capacity significantly compared to the iPhone 7 generation. A11 will be a huge improvement compared to A10 due to movement to 10nm this year. Benchmarks for A10X already prove that. Android flagship phones this year (with 10nm SD 835/Exynos 8895) have "similar" battery life compared to last year, despite having "smaller" batteries. Hope Apple does not take that route this year.
    The 10 nm shrink is good for power but we don't know if Apple will implement anything that uses up that power budget.     We could see new tech in the SoC such as an Apple designed GPU (hi probability) or an accelerator for machine learning or AI like behavior (low probability).

We have no idea what Apple GPU will be like but it pretty much has to arrive this year due to already indicated expiring relationship with Imagination.   The question is what will that Apple GPU be doing that Imagination wasn't able to deliver.   I suspect at least a bit more capability for computational threads and heterogenous computing.    Then we can expect a big boost to the CPU, likely going to double the cores, this due to the expansion in die area.    SoC power could very well be in the same ball park when maxed out, idle should be a big win though.
    The Kirin 970 will be revealed tomorrow in Germany and it is almost certain that there will be some kind of AI built in for on board resolution of some tasks. The rumours might prove unfounded and it could all turn out to be hot marketing air. The invite just says to 'expect the unexpected'.

However, if they have managed to implement something noteworthy in AI on the SoC then I would increase the odds of Apple also offering something​ AI related and hard wired into the next iPhone for local resolution.
  • Reply 136 of 449
    Is it flag of the Czech Republic inside the apple?
    stompyrandominternetperson
  • Reply 137 of 449
    Yes but other venues seat more. Flint Center accomodates over 2,400; Bill Graham Civic Auditorium around 7,000.
    Sure, but how many Apple employees need to be there, anyway? I know that most of them have absolutely no idea what they’re working on until they see it at the event, but it always smacked of patting themselves on the back a bit too much to me (what with them leading applause and all).
    I have no problem with Apple employees who worked on these products being at the launch event. I’d rather have applause from employees than a stiff event full of journalists who sneer at Apple most of the time.
    patchythepiratecanukstorm
  • Reply 138 of 449
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tyler82 said:
    iPhone Edition, along with iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+. That's what I think anyway, and it seems to be the nom du jour
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 139 of 449
    I'd opt for 'iPhone X' or 'Apple Phone X'.
  • Reply 140 of 449
    A follow up to my previous post. Huawei just let slip some information by accident.

http://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-just-accidentally-revealed-the-mate-10-chipset-early-at-ifa-2017

They are claiming the world's first mobile AI processing unit.

The official presentation isn't until tomorrow but if what is being claimed actually works on the device, they may have upped the ante a little. This makes me think Apple might also have something along those lines for their big reveal on the 12th.