iPhone 6s battery recalls

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hi guys was just wondering what peoples opinions were on the the below matter...

So the battery on my 6s is awful, it will be on 100% and then drop to 50% within half an hour. It also decides to just run out of battery sometimes it can be as high as 30%. So anyway I googled it a little and found it can be recalled and new battery or replacement (someone i know got a refurbished phone) offered which I'm sure most of you will be aware of...

I took it into Apple today and after the diagnostic test they said the battery was faulty and can be replaced free of charge however the screen of my phone is cracked and that the battery can't be replaced unless a new screen is also fitted. The fitting of the new screen would cost £120 which i think is the standard price for new screens at Apple.

So this is were the issue lies I don't think I should have to pay for the cost of the screen in order for them to fix a fault which is no fault of my own, I understand that its not their fault that the screen is cracked however it's also not my fault that they issued a phone which has a faulty battery. I can live with having a cracked screen it doesn't effect my ability to use the phone as it was intended however the battery does reduce the overall functionality of the phone. After going back and fourth they agreed to reduce the cost to £70, however I still think it's a bit unreasonable and as a student I haven't really got £70 to spare to fix something that really doesn't need to be fixed.

Thanks In advance! :)

ufuk8625

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    I'm not an expert about this . . . but to change the battery you have to pull the screen off I believe. If it's cracked, that might pose a problem during disassembly/reassembly – especially since they use a suction cup to pull it off.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    first off its not a recall. that is a very specific term for items that are safety issues, this is not. this is Apple doing you a solid. fact is that there is no proof that they gave YOU a faulty anything. You've had it for over a year (shown by the fact that if it was under a year it would be under warranty so you wouldn't be bringing up the program. plus all the affected phones were sold before Dec 2015 per the public information about the program). So for all they know, you were sold a wonderful battery and you just used it up. But because its from the same dates as the ones that were faulty they are covering you anyway. 

as for your screen, you broke it, you buy it. that's a general rule in the world. sorry that you don't like that but they don't owe you that one. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    first off its not a recall. that is a very specific term for items that are safety issues, this is not. this is Apple doing you a solid. fact is that there is no proof that they gave YOU a faulty anything. You've had it for over a year (shown by the fact that if it was under a year it would be under warranty so you wouldn't be bringing up the program. plus all the affected phones were sold before Dec 2015 per the public information about the program). So for all they know, you were sold a wonderful battery and you just used it up. But because its from the same dates as the ones that were faulty they are covering you anyway. 

as for your screen, you broke it, you buy it. that's a general rule in the world. sorry that you don't like that but they don't owe you that one. 
    They have run diagnostics on his battery and determined it is faulty. 
  • Reply 4 of 4
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    If everything is exactly as you explain it, it's obviously one of those borderline cases that could go either way. IMO, I would prefer they put your cracked screen back on or offer you a free screen replacement or a refurbished and let you choose.

I understand your logic and agree that if the battery were not faulty, the phone would be perfectly usable and you should be able to have the battery replaced without the need of a screen replacement.

I also understand what the AppleStore is saying but feel that, given the circumstances of a faulty battery and a design decision to remove the battery via screen removal, Apple should cover the cost entirely.

Try to escalate your case.