Rumors rename 'iPhone 7s' to 'iPhone 8,' leaving moniker for Apple's $1000+ OLED model up ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    It's time to stop the numbering. All too soon it is going to get cumbersome.

iphone
    iphone plus
    iphone SE
    iphone AE
    edited September 2017 doozydozencornchipredgeminipa
  • Reply 22 of 60
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I've been skeptical of the iPhone 7S moniker for a while. For starters, releasing an iPhone 8 at the same time would makes the 7S feel obsolete on arrival. The number 8 is considered particularly prestigious by Chinese consumers. I have friends that work for phone network providers who constantly get called by Chinese customers who want to swap their phone number for one with "lots of 8's and no 4's". It should help them better compete with Samsung who are also releasing the Galaxy 8 this year. In my opinion the glass backs and induction charging qualifies as a new enough form factor to justify a numerical, rather than S, upgrade.

My money is on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. I can see pros and cons to both iPhone 8 Pro and iPhone 8 Edition. Pro implies a specs workhorse but I'm not sure this phone necessarily represents that. Edition emphasises the form factor and I can see it having a broader appeal, particularly for female consumers. It also hints at being the 'anniversary edition' of the iPhone without being overly sentimental. What's clear is that this new phone is not a one off; it represents an new prong in their phone strategy that is here to stay.
    cornchipwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 23 of 60
    It is one of these:

iPhone Pro

iPhone 8 Pro

iPhone Edition

iPhone XE
  • Reply 24 of 60
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    entropys said:
    It's time to stop the numbering. All too soon it is going to get cumbersome.

iphone
    iphone plus
    iphone SE
    iphone AE
    It is one of these:

iPhone Pro

iPhone 8 Pro

iPhone Edition

iPhone XE
    Agreed. Then Samsung can't copy the name so easily (S8 vs. 8S, etc.) without being even more obvious.
    edited September 2017 Metriacanthosaurusdoozydozenwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 25 of 60
    bb-15 said:
    robjn said:
    Apple have not "changed the name". The Media invented the "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 8" names.

Apple were never going to release a '7s' and an '8' at the same time!

"iPhone Pro" was a far better guess than "iPhone 8" for the higher tier phone.

The so called "7s" is actually a major redesign of the 7 which has been consistently misrepresented in the media as a "minor update".

I long argued for "iPhone Edition" because I think Apple need to kind of 'anti-sell' the constrained, high end phone. They need to send the message that the high end phone is not the standard phone for most customers. Calling it the "Edition" will achieve this.

- The problem with iPhone Pro is that the phone does not have new pro uses 
    :neutral: I keep hearing people say this, they can't call it iPhone Pro because "there is nothing Pro about a phone." I have to scratch my head at that. My iPhone is one of my most important business tools...whatever.

You can talk about use cases all day long, but just like the MacBook Pro and iPad Pro are merely "faster, better, more expensive" than the non-Pro version, iPhone is no exception.

That said, I still think iPhone Edition or iPhone XE are the likely names.
    edited September 2017 doozydozenStrangeDayswatto_cobraronnredgeminipa
  • Reply 26 of 60
    I think we've seen the end of "S" models. I think we saw the end of it last year.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    It is one of these:

iPhone Pro

iPhone 8 Pro

iPhone Edition

iPhone XE
    $10 says none of those will be announced this time around (including capitalization and spacing variants, but nothing else; so I'm wrong if there's an iPhone Xe but I'm ok if they announce an "iPhone 8 ProAm XE Edition").  Who wants a piece of this action?
  • Reply 28 of 60
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    This is simple.  It's in plan site.  Numbers are going away.  Threes no numbers anymore on the iPad.  It's iPad or iPad Pro and then you pick size, and storage space and WiFi or WiFi and cell.  

Now look at the iPhone SE, no numbers!!!

Clearly it'll be, iPhone, iPhone Plus, and iPhone Pro.  Possibly a new iPhone SE, or they may save that for next year.  Why do you even need a number?.  It's 1 new version a year.  There is zero need to add a number.  These are the 2017 models.    My new iPad Pro 12.9" is not a iPad Pro 2.  It's the 2017 model, not the 2015 model.  This is now how it's going to be with the iPhone.  I think I'm 90% correct.
    viclauyycredgeminiparadarthekat
  • Reply 29 of 60
    iPhone XE
    Oh, no. Because next year it’s the iPhone XES and it gets banned in China and Islamic countries for lasciviousness.
    edited September 2017 SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 60
    robjn said:
    I long argued for "iPhone Edition" because I think Apple need to kind of 'anti-sell' the constrained, high end phone. They need to send the message that the high end phone is not the standard phone for most customers. Calling it the "Edition" will achieve this.

The markets are experienced enough to know that such an "anti-sold" product has no future and it is ephemeral, experimental, temporary. "Anti-selling" is a dangerous gamble over its products and Apple would never do that. Given the S and SE monikers, the X moniker appears very reasonable that would cause no doubt about the commitment of Apple on that product. The Watch is different, as being the most personal device Apple produced, it has some dimension spanning the fashion world and the Edition moniker may make sense in that world.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 60
    iPhone 8 .... The Ocho
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 32 of 60

Regardless of what they are ultimately called, 
    iPhone 8, 8 plus and iPhone AE (Anniversary Edition) which might put a curse on it.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    I think with the advances in tech and the various upgrade programs it is finally time to end the tick-tock cycle for iPhones.  

The new iPhone 7S will be called the iPhone 9.

The new iPhone 8 will be called the iPhone 10.

Next year we'll have the 10 and a new 11.

• Reply 34 of 60
    robjn said:
    Apple have not "changed the name". The Media invented the "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 8" names.

The so called "7s" is actually a major redesign of the 7 which has been consistently misrepresented in the media as a "minor update".

Why is it not the standard phone? Because Apple can’t produce enough? Or is it a status thing; Apple saying only certain customers (i.e. those with $$$) are worthy of the Edition model?
    Jesus. If a device is component supply constrained and you can’t scale it to the insane sheer masses that iphone has now achieved, then you raise the price to decrease demand. This is economics 101. Stop trying to project some pretend morality narrative into what is really a very simple matter. 

I know youve read it but apparently you need to read it again:

https://daringfireball.net/2017/07/speculation_on_new_iphone_pricing
    edited September 2017 watto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Next year we'll have the 10 and a new 11.
    When does the iPhone 5G come out? And then the 5GS, of course. Gotta throw those Gs back in there if you’re gonna be dropping a G on the top of the line phone, right?

Hang on… Ah, yep, I’m right.

watto_cobracornchipSpamSandwich
  • Reply 36 of 60

78Bandit said:
    Unless there is some unrumored feature yet to be revealed there is nothing "Pro" about the AMOLED device.  The rumored 6.42" competitor to the Galaxy Note could be considered pro if it has Apple Pencil capabilities built in, but so far the "8" "X" "Edition" "whatever" looks like a much overdue evolution of the basic iPhone and is what Apple should have produced last year as the new 7.

Even calling the revised LCD phones based on a four-year-old design the 8 and 8 Plus is ridiculous.  They represent at least two generations of stagnation and are not worthy of carrying the flagship nomenclature.

I'm going to give credence to this rumor though as it is precisely what I would expect from Tim Cook.  Try and fool people by giving outdated designs a new model designation and convince them the new "Pro" model is something extraordinary when it is simply getting back to parity with what other competitors are already doing.
    Complete nonsense post. You’re evidently under the misguided notion that what defines each generation of iphone is the shell design. If you actually owned these devices you’d know why that isn’t the case at all. As Ive has explained many times, they don’t do change for change’s sake. Let that sink in. 

As for similar outward body designs, you’d better let Porsche know that their iconic 911 design is outdated as they’ve been using it for decades!

Then you can get back to us with the sort of sweet triangle-phones you expect Apple to produce. 
    watto_cobraronnwonkothesanecornchipradarthekat
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    IPhone X for the OLED version. 
  • Reply 38 of 60
    I'm betting these will be called the iPhone 2018, the iPhone Plus 2018, and the iPhone Pro 2018. They'll start naming them like car models where they're introduced slightly before the end of the year. The iPhone is the only non software product that Apple uses numbers or any other sort of things to differentiate the versions in branding based on iterations. That said a glass back is a pretty big visual upgrade from the iPhone 7, especially given that the 7 was only slightly different physically from the 6 and 6S. So calling it the 8 isn't a terrible idea.
  • Reply 39 of 60

78Bandit said:
    Unless there is some unrumored feature yet to be revealed there is nothing "Pro" about the AMOLED device.  The rumored 6.42" competitor to the Galaxy Note could be considered pro if it has Apple Pencil capabilities built in, but so far the "8" "X" "Edition" "whatever" looks like a much overdue evolution of the basic iPhone and is what Apple should have produced last year as the new 7.

Even calling the revised LCD phones based on a four-year-old design the 8 and 8 Plus is ridiculous.  They represent at least two generations of stagnation and are not worthy of carrying the flagship nomenclature.

I'm going to give credence to this rumor though as it is precisely what I would expect from Tim Cook.  Try and fool people by giving outdated designs a new model designation and convince them the new "Pro" model is something extraordinary when it is simply getting back to parity with what other competitors are already doing.
    Complete nonsense post. You’re evidently under the misguided notion that what defines each generation of iphone is the shell design. If you actually owned these devices you’d know why that isn’t the case at all. As Ive has explained many times, they don’t do change for change’s sake. Let that sink in. 

As for similar outward body designs, you’d better let Porsche know that their iconic 911 design is outdated as they’ve been using it for decades!

Then you can get back to us with the sort of sweet triangle-phones you expect Apple to produce. 
    I keep hearing this. I have a 6S and am sceptical of I want to spend over £1000 on a so called Pro model which has a comparable screen to the S8 which can be had at half the price now! What does that leave me with? 7S which has the same 750P screen 4 years in a row? What incentive is Apple giving us 6 and 6S owners if we can't upgrade to the so called Pro which js exclusive to a new Pro customer base? Jobs vision was to make great technology available to all. Something Cook doesn't seem to believe in
  • Reply 40 of 60
    robjn said:

Why is it not the standard phone? Because Apple can’t produce enough? Or is it a status thing; Apple saying only certain customers (i.e. those with $$$) are worthy of the Edition model?
    Jesus. If a device is component supply constrained and you can’t scale it to the insane sheer masses that iphone has now achieved, then you raise the price to decrease demand. This is economics 101. Stop trying to project some pretend morality narrative into what is really a very simple matter. 

I know youve read it but apparently you need to read it again:

https://daringfireball.net/2017/07/speculation_on_new_iphone_pricing
    So it’s going to be called iPhone Edition because Apple can’t produce enough? What happens next year then when they can produce at scale? I’m sorry but iPhone Edition is a stupid name. But so was the solid gold Apple Watch Editiion yet Apple still sold that so it won’t surprise me if we get a 1200 iPhone Edition that is priced that high purely due to the OLED screen and materials it’s made out of. I can hear the Jony Ive materials video already. ;)
    edited September 2017 gatorguyavon b7