Prolific leaker claims 'iPhone 8' will cost between $999 and $1199, depending on configura...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
One of the more visible sources of "iPhone 8" rumors has chimed in on the price of the device, claiming that a 64-gigabyte configuration will cost $999 -- with the rumored 512-gigabyte version retailing for $1,199.

Benjamin Geskin posted a Tweet on Monday morning containing his guesses on the "iPhone 8" pricing. Citing a friend of a friend who works at Apple as his source, Geskin has pegged the devices at $999 for 64 gigabytes, $1,099 for 256 gigabytes, and $1,199 for 512 gigabytes.

#iPhone8

64 GB: 999$
256 GB: 1099$
512 GB: 1199$

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)

Geskin's claims aren't the first to declare a $999 price for the device. Reports started circulating in the very early days of rumors about the "iPhone 8" suggesting a $999 price, with some accounts suggesting that it might hit $1200. More recently, discussions have centered around the $999 price point again.

At present, the iPhone 7 Plus retails for $769 for 32 gigabytes, $869 for 128 gigabytes, and $969 for 256 gigabytes. Given that flash storage commodity prices are at a high and have been so for about nine months, it is unclear if the $1,199 is accurate -- if the configuration exists at all.

Two different reports on Sept. 1 claimed that the entire set of new iPhone releases later in the month may shift to the "iPhone 8" branding, and skip the "s" cycle entirely for the first time in eight years. One source claimed that what to this point has been labeled the "iPhone 7s" would be called the "iPhone 8," and the high-end OLED model would be called the "iPhone X."

The other account has the "iPhone 8" name spanning the entire line, with the high-end being called the "iPhone 8 Edition."

Regardless of branding or storage capacities, Apple is expected to announce three new iPhones with the high-end OLED model, and two other devices expected at a Sept. 12 press event. Also expected is a refresh of the Apple TV adding 4K video as a playback option, and an LTE-equipped Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    If true and of course it's an 'if', then I suspect the iPhone 7 family will continue at almost the same prices as now, I was hoping they would drop quite a bit.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    It would be great to see that a jump of 256GB to 512GB is only $100, but we have a current iPad Pro that has this option for $200 more, this is the highest-tier purchase where companies typically makes the most profit per unit, and we have AI saying, "given that flash storage commodity prices are at a high and have been so for about nine months."

I'm fine with any guess so long as it's stated as such and that unusual predictions have some sort of explanation to back up their prediction.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    No real reason to doubt this particular rumor. Likely accurate. And Apple will still sell every single one of the new phones.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Meh. When it comes to Apple, I became frog in boiling water long ago. What's a couple of hundred here, there.. :-/
    edited September 2017 watto_cobranapoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Meh. When it comes to Apple, I became frog in boiling water long ago. What's a couple of hundred here, there.. :-/
    Any comment on the cost of the new Samsung Note? That thing is about one thousand.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Any comment on the cost of the new Samsung Note? That thing is about one thousand.
    You could put me in boiling water and try and sell it to me for 3¢, and I would not buy that poc.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 21
    At those prices, it better be a Jesus Phone.
    allmypeople
  • Reply 8 of 21
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Soli said:
    It would be great to see that a jump of 256GB to 512GB is only $100, but we have a current iPad Pro that has this option for $200 more, this is the highest-tier purchase where companies typically makes the most profit per unit, and we have AI saying, "given that flash storage commodity prices are at a high and have been so for about nine months."

I'm fine with any guess so long as it's stated as such and that unusual predictions have some sort of explanation to back up their prediction.
    Exactly. The only way i see this as possible, would be apple making the roughly same profits ( not margin )  on all three storage model. Lower Flash storage has always meant slower speed, so may be Apple is using some better components to achieve the same speed as 256 and 512 GB version. Hence the cost per GB for 64GB model would be more. 
    kayess
  • Reply 9 of 21
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    No real reason to doubt this particular rumor. Likely accurate. And Apple will still sell every single one of the new phones.
    well of course they will. they will be supply contrained. I think the lower level one will be the big seller this year though as 64Gb is an ok size 

• Reply 10 of 21
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    You could put me in boiling water and try and sell it to me for 3¢, and I would not buy that poc.
    Proof of concept??
  • Reply 11 of 21
    asdasd said:
    well of course they will. they will be supply contrained. I think the lower level one will be the big seller this year though as 64Gb is an ok size 

You know, that has never really been the case. People tend to favor the bigger storage options.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    asdasd said:

You know, that has never really been the case. People tend to favor the bigger storage options.
    The mid level storage option had been the most popular in fact. That's what I have with the 6. But the then low level was 16Gb. 

Now my reasoning is that $999 isn't that expensive and people might sacrifice storage in the 7s for the 8/X/edition 
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    MacPro said:
    If true and of course it's an 'if', then I suspect the iPhone 7 family will continue at almost the same prices as now, I was hoping they would drop quite a bit.
    If that happens do they keep the 6 and drop the price further in to SE range or drop the 6 entirely?

To me it would make more sense to keep the 6 maybe change to a different range of brighter colours and tweak internals to get the smaller one to the 5se price.
    Up the waterproofing call it sport and drop the numbers across the range for product names.

Not that I'm a fan of this plan as leaves me with no upgrade options for the 5S without getting a bigger phone but it makes more sense than keeping both the 7 and 7s arround and having poor product distinction.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    simply258 said:
    It’s not waterproof, but it doesn’t need to be; it just hovers a few centimeters above the surface of it.
    cornchipboredumb
  • Reply 15 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I still see 64GB/256GB only for $999/$1099. 512GB is too overkilled.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    simply258 said:
    It’s not waterproof, but it doesn’t need to be; it just hovers a few centimeters above the surface of it.
    ROFL
  • Reply 17 of 21
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    fallenjt said:
    I still see 64GB/256GB only for $999/$1099. 512GB is too overkilled.
    I have a 256GB 7+ and while nice, 128GB is plenty for me.  I don’t need the additional 128.
    I would not go down to 64GB, though.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Hoping this is just a leak to set expectations low.
    That would be wonderful and all...but I'm bracing for disappointment. Too many times Apple doesn't live up to the very high expectations they have cultivated for themselves.  But they are masters of keeping the ASP quite high.

And just what is Apple going to offer up,for this new, all time high priced phone? Would be awesome if they actually pulled off something truly new and exotic but the likelihood of that??? I'm doubtful.

Face recognition may be able to wow- I hope. But OLED screen and inductive charging? B., please! These are not cutting edge technologies. Just how much time is going to be spent talking about removing the inactive areas of the front face and how amazing it is that they got rid of the Home button is likely to be nauseating.

sorry to go on like this...I'm tired.  Just sayin, don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Hoping this is just a leak to set expectations low.
    That would be wonderful and all...but I'm bracing for disappointment. Too many times Apple doesn't live up to the very high expectations they have cultivated for themselves.  But they are masters of keeping the ASP quite high.

And just what is Apple going to offer up,for this new, all time high priced phone? Would be awesome if they actually pulled off something truly new and exotic but the likelihood of that??? I'm doubtful.

Face recognition may be able to wow- I hope. But OLED screen and inductive charging? B., please! These are not cutting edge technologies. Just how much time is going to be spent talking about removing the inactive areas of the front face and how amazing it is that they got rid of the Home button is likely to be nauseating.

sorry to go on like this...I'm tired.  Just sayin, don't hold your breath.
    you know Apple cant be the first to introduce everything, although it often is. If this device has an OLED screen and inductive charging and they are good ( Which they will be given that this is Apple) then that is in fact cutting edge. Are you saying that Apple shouldn't ever be second to do something?

No doubt there is some thing in the camera and with regard to AI which will be world beating. 
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Wow...hopefully these rumors are off.  If this thing costs as much as a laptop then forget it.  My 6s+ is humming along nicely