Alleged SIM trays for Apple's 'iPhone 8' hint at gold, silver & black as only colors

Posted:
in iPhone
Leaked SIM trays for Apple's OLED-based "iPhone 8" may support the notion that the phone will come in just three colors: black, silver, and a new copper/"blush" shade of gold.

Images of two of the parts were posted online by prolific leak source Benjamin Geskin. Their authenticity is difficult to determine, particularly since they resemble trays for the iPhone 7, apart from the new color.

Multiple reports have pointed to the existence of a copper-like gold, sometimes referred to as "blush" gold. The iPhone 7 comes in yellow or rose gold, among other tones.

The notion of there being only three color options for the "iPhone 8" was backed last month by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. At the time, he didn't identify a specific shade of gold, but did say black and silver would be the other choices.

It's not certain why Apple would scale back the number of colors from the six available for the iPhone 7. The "iPhone 8" is expected to be in extremely short supply however, and Apple may also be positioning the device as a luxury item -- two recent reports claimed the device will actually be called the "iPhone 8 Edition" or "iPhone X," making the "iPhone 7s" the real "iPhone 8."

Apple is set to reveal all of its new iPhones in less than a week, at a Sept. 12 press event at its new Apple Park headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I thought we were getting rid of the sim tray. 
    Solidoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I'm curious if it's made using Liquid Metal (LQMT).
  • Reply 3 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I can't wait until the SIM tray is gone.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    give me black all day long.

So many jokes, so little time…
    GG1doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Are those photos giving the false impression of a somewhat hammered paint look?
    edited September 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 20
    ireland said:
    Are those photos giving the false impression of a somewhat hammered paint look?
    It looks like a hammered or metallic finish to me. 
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Soli said:
    Is it really affecting you much? I haven't touched a SIM card in years.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I'll miss the Rose Gold....oh well. 

• Reply 9 of 20
    Soli said:
    Is it really affecting you much?
    That's a silly non sequitur.

I haven't touched a SIM card in years.
    Neither have I. That's only one of the minor tent poles for removing this superannuated technology.

The major tent poles are that it's a huge chip for the amount of data it holds, offers an ingress point for dust and moisture, and maintains archiac design constraints for engineers because the location of the SIM card bay is limited. All of this can be done on a very tiny and very secure chip that would allow those that do need to switch a more convenient and secure method that doesn't involves turning off the phone, pulling out a paperclip, pressing into a hole (hopefully not the mic hole), removing the tray, taking out the card, opening up your case with other cards, pulling out that card and putting into the SIM card tray, putting the other card not your SIM card case for safekeeping, reinserting the SIM card tray, and turning on the phone again.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    give me black all day long.

I use to avoid buying black faced iPhones because Samsung was all about the black face.  So I always got the white face phone.  But now Samsung does white face also.

So now I'm back to BLACK.
    Once you go BLACK, you can't go back? LOL.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I don't believe this 1 bit. Apple tends to release all colors for the new phone and keep primary color on the last generation. This darn things could be just for iPhone 7 series or older.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    eSIMs were supposed to be a thing in late 2015.  Then 2016.  Big push for eSims in PCs in 2017 (not so much).

Apple has wanted this since forever but I wouldn't be surprised if eSIMs adoption in US smartphones is still stalled in 2020.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Soli said:
    If you are travelling internationally, it often makes sense to use a local SIM card (prepaid plan, with a cheap data option attached to it). 

• Reply 14 of 20
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Is it really affecting you much?
    That's a silly non sequitur.

I haven't touched a SIM card in years.
    Neither have I. That's only one of the minor tent poles for removing this superannuated technology.

The major tent poles are that it's a huge chip for the amount of data it holds, offers an ingress point for dust and moisture, and maintains archiac design constraints for engineers because the location of the SIM card bay is limited. All of this can be done on a very tiny and very secure chip that would allow those that do need to switch a more convenient and secure method that doesn't involves turning off the phone, pulling out a paperclip, pressing into a hole (hopefully not the mic hole), removing the tray, taking out the card, opening up your case with other cards, pulling out that card and putting into the SIM card tray, putting the other card not your SIM card case for safekeeping, reinserting the SIM card tray, and turning on the phone again.
    So the answer is YES, it is affecting you and everyone quite a bit, by taking up unnecesary space in an iPhone and being yet another useless, legacy thing to be designed around (like repairability of old, headphone jack, etc.)

I'm sure Apple will be thrilled to move beyond this archaic inclusion and go all embedded-SIM.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    vlscout said:
    Soli said:
    If you are travelling internationally, it often makes sense to use a local SIM card (prepaid plan, with a cheap data option attached to it). 

But when you think about what an iPhone can do, doesn't it seem ridiculous to switch little tiny cards in a drawer inside it, just to be able to do this?

This is should be 100% software driven. You should just be able to scan nearby networks, see their comparitive performance and pricing in your area, and pick one. Boom. You're on that carrier. This is the ideal user experience, and it is only held up by carriers that have no idea how to project their survival in that world.
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 16 of 20
    I'm sure Apple will be thrilled to move beyond this archaic inclusion and go all embedded-SIM.
    They've been working on it for years, but this is one of those things that the carriers keep wanting to hold onto even though it still don't affect that SIM card data being used the exact same way.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Soli said:
    They've been working on it for years, but this is one of those things that the carriers keep wanting to hold onto even though it still don't affect that SIM card data being used the exact same way.
    Moving to eSims makes it easier to switch carriers.  Making it more annoying for people to switch is a feature, not a bug to the carriers.
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I'd love to see a blue iPhone with black face! Ha! Chances are the first batch will be limited in colour choice like the iPhone 4 - it released only in black and the white came later. 
  • Reply 19 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    nht said:
    Soli said:
    Moving to eSims makes it easier to switch carriers.  Making it more annoying for people to switch is a feature, not a bug to the carriers.
    That's true but it's only better for the carrier that managed to get the customer. It's bad for every other carrier who didn't. It's almost impossible for small businesses to survive like the few shown here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/283507/subscribers-to-top-wireless-carriers-in-the-us/

Few people are going to exclusively subscribe to a small network provider if they can't get the coverage. If there was an eSIM on top of a physical sim though, this allows customers to get better deals for faster but perhaps more local networks. For example, small carriers might be able to setup a dense high speed network just for certain large cities. If they only get a small number of customers, they would be able to offer unlimited data because they wouldn't congest their network.

It's good for business customers because if one service has an outage, they can just hop onto another service immediately. It eliminates all roaming issues globally, you wouldn't have to find a phone store in another country, as soon as you land at the airport, you can have a bunch of eSIM carriers show on your phone, you tap to pay and get connected locally. It might cause some issues assigning and porting phone numbers but if the eSIM is an addition, the problems will be worked out the more people use it. It also means the possibility of sharing a network plan between multiple devices e.g iPad and iPhone. You can't share a physical SIM.

I'd say have both eSIM and physical and this allows the eSIM to potentially obsolete the physical one eventually. Even if it doesn't for a while, having the two is better for customers and the carriers will still get the physical SIM installed when they sell the phone.