Prosumer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hate that term.

What does it mean actually? Someone who thinks that he is more worthy than a mere consumer? Someone wanting a 1.42 but not ready to admit he hasn´t´got the money for it?.

Its like the "Third Way". Its "good" beacuse its different and sounds important. But what the hell is it suppose to mean?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    No it simply means someone who straddles the line between

Consumer gear- not feature laden

Pro Gear= Ungodly expensive.

I don't take Prosumer as a negative or elitist connotation at all.

If you make your money with a product you can't afford not to have some pro features added in.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Prosumer = one who feels a dual 1.42 GHz G4 is "barely adequate" for everyday use, i.e. posting complaints that the dual 1.42 GHz G4 is "barely adequate" for everyday use on AI.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i always took it as a consumer who used/wanted pro stuff...the people between the lines of consumer and pro

now ME, i'm a pro
  • Reply 4 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Prosumer = one who feels a dual 1.42 GHz G4 is "barely adequate" for everyday use, i.e. posting complaints that the dual 1.42 GHz G4 is "barely adequate" for everyday use on AI.</strong><hr></blockquote>

like Matsu; i.e., not even using a Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    prosumer- someone that wants an affordable Mac but doesn't want a built-in display.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Ooh, this is fun!

Prosumer (n.) 1. Someone who uses keyboard command combos instead of using the mouse for everything. 2. One who feels that real pro software and hardware is too expensive for their hobby, and thus cultivates the finer points of warez, eBay bidding and obscure Dell bundles. 3. One who accosts Apple to come out with a pro audio mixer/scratch synthesizer for the 3 people who really really want one but can't afford the real thing. 4. L33T h4X0r

[ 03-07-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha nice one
  • Reply 8 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Prosumer: a pretentious teenager with a habit for making claims about the tenets of processor design.

In other words, a geeky douchebag.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    os10geekos10geek Posts: 413member
    Hmmmmmm...That might be me...NOT! I think that a prosumer is someone like a web designer (Wait! Don't diss me yet!) that doesn't need a powermac for performance reasons, but still wants a normal computer.