Nissan debuts redesigned Leaf with Apple CarPlay, offers Apple Watch with reservations

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Nissan on Tuesday unveiled a redesigned version of the Leaf, an all-electric vehicle that doubles as the carmaker's advanced projects platform with features like single-pedal driving, ProPilot autonomous technology and Apple's CarPlay infotainment system.

Announced through Nissan's website, the all-new Leaf not only boasts completely revamped aesthetics, but state-of-the-art driving technologies that put it in direct competition with offerings like Tesla's Model 3.

One major feature addition for 2018 is Nissan's e-Pedal, which lets drivers control acceleration, deceleration and braking with a single pedal. Meshed with an electric drivetrain, e-Pedal provides instant throttle response and automatically triggers regenerative braking when released. A traditional brake pedal is, of course, also supplied.

Nissan is baking ProPilot assist technology into the new Leaf. As the Japanese firm's semi-autonomous driving system, ProPilot helps drivers maintain highway speeds, stay in their lane and perform parking and emergency braking maneuvers. Though not as complex or involved as Tesla's Autopilot, ProPilot is offered at a fraction of the price and could appeal to budget conscious buyers.

Other features include intelligent lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, intelligent "Around View" 360-degree camera and a connected app that can remotely control onboard climate control, charging and security systems.

Leaf promises a not so impressive 150-mile range with its new 40kWh lithium-ion battery, a figure easily bested by Chevy's Volt and Tesla's Model 3, but Nissan says a more robust version is due to arrive next year. The cell is good for 147 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque delivered to the wheels.

Finally, the 2018 Leaf incorporates a 7-inch touchscreen display with support for CarPlay, though the system is only available on mid-tier models and up.

Leaf goes on sale in Japan on Oct. 1, while buyers in the U.S., Canada and Europe will have to wait until early 2018. Starting price is $29,990, though iPhone owners will need to pay at least $32,490 for the SV model that includes CarPlay.

For those interested, Nissan is giving away an Apple Watch Series 2 -- or a GoPro HERO5 Black or Nest and Google Home Bundle -- to customers who reserve their Leaf online by Jan. 22, 2018, and purchase the car by May 15.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I guess I'll assume that no mention of whether it's wired or wireless CarPlay means that it's wired CarPlay, but it would be nice to have this information clearly stated since we now have both options available with factory and aftermarket solutions.
    watto_cobraschlackpeterhart
  • Reply 2 of 35
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Bolt. You meant Bolt.
    joe28753blastdoorlkruppschlackpeterhartraoulduke42
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Was really looking forward to the new Leaf. This is disappointing. The range is simply not good enough with cars like the Bolt out there and the 3 coming along.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    For thirty grand I will want to drive more than 150 miles. YMMV!! 🍸😹
  • Reply 5 of 35
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Ooooh, lookit all the buttons.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 35
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    150 miles is more than enough for a city car, but insufficient for long road trips.  One of these in a two car family would make a lot of sense, but I'm looking forward to getting my Tesla Model 3.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Hooray! Range anxiety is back! Just when you thought electric cars were getting capable...
    entropystulkas
  • Reply 8 of 35
    150miles is not enough. My old VW campervan gets about 150-200 miles to a full tank (2.0 twin carb engine + very small tank) and even that gives me range anxiety if I'm travelling and don't know where the next petrol station is. I'd be wary of going anywhere unless I KNEW for certain there was a charging point and it actually worked within range. At least I can bring a spare can of fuel in the camper, I can't bring extra batteries in an EV. :neutral: 

• Reply 9 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    $2.5K for CarPlay? Nissan can always go fuck themselves. We need more innovation in the electric car space, so a company can actually offer some value for money. Some greed in this world, alright. $1K would be pushing it.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 10 of 35
    After driving a Tesla, it's really difficult thinking of another. Not sure how this is supposed to compete with the model 3 other than little to no wait list. There is a reason for that...
  • Reply 11 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I reckon hydrogen is a more rational source of alternative power for cars. Almost the same time to fill up as petrol.
    just need a little nuke out the back of the petrol station to crack the methane first.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    ireland said:
    $2.5K for CarPlay? Nissan can always go fuck themselves. We need more innovation in the electric car space, so a company can actually offer some value for money. Some greed in this world, alright. $1K would be pushing it.
    That's an entire trim level upgrade. It's not just a stereo upgrade. In my last Nissan the upgrade from S to SV included the addition of AWD.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    polymnia said:
    ireland said:
    That's an entire trim level upgrade. It's not just a stereo upgrade. In my last Nissan the upgrade from S to SV included the addition of AWD.
    Yeah, but if the only feature you want added is CarPlay, then it is $2.5K for CarPlay. 

It's not like that wasn't intentional.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Hooray! Range anxiety is back! Just when you thought electric cars were getting capable...

Yup. Most anticipated EV, outside of the Model 3, for over a year, with the expectation it would be in the same class as the 3 and the Bolt....and they completely miss the boat. For anyone looking at EV's and not wanting to make excuses like "well, I don't usually need more range that [insert low number here] on a daily basis so I guess I can make this work" will have to look elsewhere. Nissan just locked their image into low range EV. Well done.

• Reply 15 of 35
    tulkas said:
    Was really looking forward to the new Leaf. This is disappointing. The range is simply not good enough with cars like the Bolt out there and the 3 coming along.
    We have a Bolt and mostly love it. The caveat is the charging network. Maybe we're suffering from "grass is always greener" syndrome, but it seems like Tesla chargers are more widely available. Still, though, with the range of the Bolt we can use it for about 90% of our driving. 

Otherwise, though, the Bolt has tech specs that to my eyes are hard to distinguish from the Model 3, yet the Bolt is a fair bit cheaper. The Tesla has an aesthetic advantage, though -- no doubt about that. 

• Reply 16 of 35
    blastdoor said:
    tulkas said:
    We have a Bolt and mostly love it. The caveat is the charging network. Maybe we're suffering from "grass is always greener" syndrome, but it seems like Tesla chargers are more widely available. Still, though, with the range of the Bolt we can use it for about 90% of our driving. 

Otherwise, though, the Bolt has tech specs that to my eyes are hard to distinguish from the Model 3, yet the Bolt is a fair bit cheaper. The Tesla has an aesthetic advantage, though -- no doubt about that. 

Telsa's investment in their charging network is a clear advantage for them.

Being able to go and buy a Bolt today is a big advantage for Chevy.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    mcarling said:
    150 miles is more than enough for a city car, but insufficient for long road trips.  One of these in a two car family would make a lot of sense, but I'm looking forward to getting my Tesla Model 3.

You'll probably get to enjoy the anticipation for quite some time, so that's a plus.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    ...I'll be interested to see it, given the hype, still seemingly unusual styling (???) and having just test driven most of the available...

- 'ePedal' (regenerative braking) one pedal driving variations seem a standard feature of all electrics I drove recently
    - Volt may accommodate range anxiety, as do a few plug in hybrids that can run in EV mode for short low speed trips
    - eGolf seemed the most conventionally styled, flat trunk, most refined detailing other than Tesla

I too came to the conclusion that EV may be best suited as a 2nd city vehicle, including the Smart Cabrio, which I found fun...
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 19 of 35
    I think the 2018 Leaf's design is a significant improvement over the previous design which I found to be weird, quirky, and awkward. I'm not a fan of General Motors, but I'd choose a Bolt if I were shopping in this category without a second thought.
    tulkas
  • Reply 20 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ireland said:
    You are seriously befuddled if you think that price difference is for CarPlay alone. Like ALL automobile pricing there are option packages that include more features and trim, along with a higher price.