T-Mobile bundles Netflix subscription with unlimited One family plans

Posted:
in iPhone
T-Mobile has announced that starting Sept. 12, people subscribed to the company's unlimited One family plans will get access to Netflix for free, in a twist that could be meant to lure "iPhone 8" buyers.

Subscribers must have a One plan with at least two paid voice lines, which costs $120 per month. Plans with three and four lines are $140 and $160, respectively.

The "Netflix On Us" promotion covers the cost of a standard $9.99 Netflix subscription, which supports regular HD resolutions and simultaneous streaming on two devices. If a person already has a Netflix account, billing will switch to T-Mobile -- people wanting 4K, four-screen streaming will have to pay the price difference.

Apple is expected to announce three new iPhones at a Sept. 12 press event: the OLED-based "iPhone 8", and the LCD-equipped "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus." Recent rumors have suggested that the "7s" devices will actually be called the "8" and "8 Plus," making the OLED model the "X" or "8 Edition."

Carriers will often launch promotions in parallel with new flagship iPhones, hoping to attract switchers, or become the carrier of choice for first-time smartphone buyers. Typically though these promotions involve discounts on devices or data plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    That's an awesome deal. I wonder what the fine print is. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I'd love to still be on T-Mobile but my favorite campgrounds have zero reception from them for now. I had to switch to Verizon.
    Soli
  • Reply 3 of 12
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    You write:
    Subscribers must have a One plan with at least two paid voice lines, which costs $120 per month

Keep in mind the Kick Back, which saves you $10 per line that uses less than 5 Gigs data. It ends up costing me $110 because my wife has low data usage (she only uses her phone to stream music all day - which T-Mobile don't count as data usage).

This saves me about $120 a year I pay for Netflix and I have great coverage and the fastest LTE.

pujones1
  • Reply 4 of 12
    They increased the price for 2 lines by $20 and added "free" $10 Netflix. Would be great to not just believe press releases, but look at the actual changes.
    pujones1
  • Reply 5 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    trumptman said:
    I'd love to still be on T-Mobile but my favorite campgrounds have zero reception from them for now. I had to switch to Verizon.
    I here that. At least Verizon (and AT&T) have come down in price and stopped with the outrageous charges, in no small part because of T-Mobile's efforts. I'd love to support them because for that reason but I simply can't get great coverage for many areas in which I actually talk on the phone, which is whilst driving.
    trumptmanelectrosoft
  • Reply 6 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    nasinasi said:
    They increased the price for 2 lines by $20 and added "free" $10 Netflix. Would be great to not just believe press releases, but look at the actual changes.
    Nope. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    nasinasi said:
    This bundled Netflix deal has me considering switching to T-Mobile One. We pay $130 a month for four lines.
    Two lines get an extra 2GB of data for $10 each. (which run out almost every month)
    One line uses barely any data so we'll save $10 with Kick Back. 
    $10 off on my ceaseless Netflix subscription. 

$10 more for unlimited data on all lines, not bad.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    robjn said:
    You write:
    Subscribers must have a One plan with at least two paid voice lines, which costs $120 per month

Keep in mind the Kick Back, which saves you $10 per line that uses less than 5 Gigs data. It ends up costing me $110 because my wife has low data usage (she only uses her phone to stream music all day - which T-Mobile don't count as data usage).

This saves me about $120 a year I pay for Netflix and I have great coverage and the fastest LTE.

For me, 4 iPhones, I used 15GB, my wife 1GB and my kids at 0GB (Voice/Text and WiFi allowed only): $150/mo + stupid fees and taxes..Ouch!
    Just moved all of the phones to Xfinity: Me Unlimited, wife 1GB, kids 0GB, all come with free voice/text: $45 + $12 and kids are free = $57/mo + no fee. No brainer!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I have 4 lines on T-Mobile with 2gb/ea for $100/mo. Each line is an iPhone (7+,6s+,6s,6s). We never hit caps and coverage has been good 99% of the time. The binge on has worked out great too. I moved to T-Mobile from Verizon almost 2.5yrs ago due to ridiculous pricing  and they covered my switching fees and phone costs. 

I do do look at Verizon from time to time because they are the overall superior network AND their costs have really come down but not quite enough.......yet. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Overall, I see this as a way for T-Mobile to co-brand with Netflix; but I can't see it as being very positive for Netflix to take on so much false churn during one quarterly promotion. Hopefully Netflix is charging T-Mobile full-price.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 11 of 12
    robjn said:
    You write:

Are you sure they don't count music streaming against your data usage on the One plans? Since the One is "unlimited" I was under the impression that all data now counts against usage, whereas the older SimpleChoice plans had the free streaming allowances via the Music Freedom program, etc.