Apple expected to begin preorders of new iPhone releases on Friday, Sept. 15

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
With Apple's omnibus fall release event scheduled on Sept. 12, reports are circulating that Sept. 15 will see preorders for products commence -- and if the history of time elapsed between announcement and pre-order is any indication, the rumors are correct.

The Sept. 15 date was claimed on Wednesday by Macerkopf, citing sources within two different German carriers. It is unclear if this is information provided by Apple to the carriers, or if the companies are assuming the date based on past history.

The shipment date, and any retail availability, is slated for a week later on Sept. 22, according to the report.

In 2016, the iPhone 7 was announced on Wednesday, Sept. 7, with preorders starting on Sept. 9. The devices shipped to customers a week later, on Friday, Sept. 16.

A pair of conflicting rumors emerged on Sept. 1, suggesting that the next range of iPhones would eschew the "iPhone 7s" branding, and skip straight to the "iPhone 8" name for the entire range. One account claims that the high-end OLED device would be called the "iPhone 8 Edition" and the other the "iPhone X."

Should the "s" cycle be skipped, it would be the first time since the iPhone 3GS was released to replace the iPhone 3G.

Regardless of what they are ultimately called, Apple is expected to announce three new iPhones with the high-end OLED model, and two other devices expected at a Sept. 12 press event. Also expected is a refresh of the Apple TV adding 4K video as a playback option, and an LTE-equipped Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Dude..."omnibus?"  Really?  
    MetriacanthosaurusrhinotuffSpamSandwichmike1StrangeDaysmacky the macky
  • Reply 2 of 13
    sdw2001 said:
    I think it's cool that they're releasing an Omnibus!
    edited September 2017 YoSamCapsFanSpamSandwichlkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 13
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    sog35 said:
    what time do these usually go on sale?

Is it 12AM pacific time?

For anyone in the Central/Mountain/Eastern time zones its a real pain in the ass.

Can't we start it at 12AM Eastern?

No kidding.  As a proper fanboy, I wake up and hit refresh on the browser and poke around on Apple Store until usually around 2:12am or so, where I am able to sluggishly get through and eventually get something ordered.  It's a royal pain when I have to work early the next AM, but what's a fanboy gonna do?
    anantksundaramlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rhinotuff said:
    sdw2001 said:
    It's electric!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    sog35 said:
    roake said:
    sog35 said:

Is it 12AM pacific time?

For anyone in the Central/Mountain/Eastern time zones its a real pain in the ass.

No kidding.  As a proper fanboy, I wake up and hit refresh on the browser and poke around on Apple Store until usually around 2:12am or so, where I am able to sluggishly get through and eventually get something ordered.  It's a royal pain when I have to work early the next AM, but what's a fanboy gonna do?
    it really is ridiculous.

Why does Apple choose such a shitty time?  Why make it so inconvient for so many people?  Or is that by design?  Pick the shittiest time so traffic is lighter. 
    I suppose you also don’t like that Australia stores open many hours earlier and the iPhone is available long before you awake.
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    roake said:
    sog35 said:

Is it 12AM pacific time?

It has been an annual ritual for me for something-or-the-other from Apple for God-only-knows how many years now... wake up at 2.55AM, have three devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad) running Apple Store simultaneously and refreshing, hope for no longer than 15-20 minutes to get if done, ***, get back to bed by 3.30AM.

If they changed that, it would lose something. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    rhinotuff said:
    sdw2001 said:

I don't know, you wait all year for an iPhone, and along come 3 all at once. "Omnibus" seems fitting...

2old4fun said:
    sog35 said:
    roake said:
    sog35 said:

Is it 12AM pacific time?

it really is ridiculous.

Why does Apple choose such a shitty time?  Why make it so inconvient for so many people?  Or is that by design?  Pick the shittiest time so traffic is lighter. 
    I suppose you also don’t like that Australia stores open many hours earlier and the iPhone is available long before you awake.
    Even better, our pre-orders (on the East coast) start at a quite reasonable time in the evening on the Friday, at 5pm. So don't have to get up in the middle of the night. (Although as I'm usually out at 5pm on a Friday, it can be a bit of an inconvenience walking around with my iPad out trying to refresh the order page.)

The only thing on at a bad time for us is the actual announcement. Getting up at 3 am is such a pain.

• Reply 8 of 13
    Quick question. For those on company plans (you buy the phone they provide the plan) that want to buy the new iPhone and just switch the sim (AT&T etc) which model can we purchase at point of pre-order ? The reason I ask is that obviously just need the phone not the plan. My understanding is that AT&T would work with AT&T sim of course BUT you would have to enter phone number and since company plan, wouldn't work. Tmobile I believe is fully unlocked BUT again would you have to enter phone number and plan ? Just wondering how (assuming as always that the 'unlocked' Apple version is not available at launch) to make this work with a pre-order model. Thanks for the help
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    rhinotuff said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Are they releasing an Omnibus, or does it mean the event will take place in an Omnibus???  Or maybe they incorporated design cues from an Omnibus into the iPhone 8?  I'm so confused.

• Reply 10 of 13
    How was the iPhone 3GS not an S cycle? It had the same design as 3G and added an S to the product name.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Help! Leaving California on the 13th for two weeks in the U.K.  Want to order the iPhone 8. What's a traveler to do? Guessing I can go to the U.S. Apple Store online from London at whatever would be 12:01 Friday morning Pacific time, right? I have ApplePay enabled. Can anyone confirm?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I'm fine with 3am EST.