ElevationDock 4 is first Apple MFi-certified Lightning dock that works one-handed

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Five years after its highly successful Kickstarter campaign launched the first ElevationDock, Elevation Labs is back with a new model featuring an integrated Lightning plug, braided cable, and one-handed use that ensures it will stay in place when an iPhone -- with or without a case -- is removed.

The new ElevationDock 4 is priced at $59 with free shipping in the U.S. Elevation Lab is taking preorders now, and orders will begin shipping within two weeks.

The dock is said to be compatible with all iPhones from the 5 and newer. It also works with all Lightning-equipped iPads except the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which requires a "NanoPad" accessory to be adhered to a smooth surface.

With thumb screws on the back of the dock, the angle and Lightning plug depth can be adjusted to accommodate different form factors and cases. Elevation Labs says the dock works with cases up to 3.2 millimeters (0.125 inch) thick on the bottom, but will not work with "multi-layer cases" like OtterBox Defender and LifeProof.

The dock achieves one-handed use with micro suction cups on the bottom of the unit, allowing it to remain firmly planted on a flat surface even when a user is removing their iPhone or iPad.

Elevation Labs says the new ElevationDock 4 is the first Apple MFi-certified dock that works one-handed. The Lightning connector flexes only under high torque, and the unit is made with a medical-grade silicone overmolded body and CNC-machined stainless steel knobs.

Because the braided Lightning cable is integrated into the dock itself, it works out of the box with no assembly required. It comes in two finishes: "MatteWhite" with a blue braided cord, and "MatteBlack" with a dark braided cord, both 5 feet long.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Ugly, expensive, unnecessary. I pass
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Do we really need this? Looks like it is solving a problem I'm not sure people really have...
  • Reply 3 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    eyekey said:
    amarkap said:
    Do we really need this? Looks like it is solving a problem I'm not sure people really have...
    I have the Apple designed dock and I've always been worried about breaking off the Lightening connector or damaging the iPhones Lightening socket if the iPhone was grabbed or twisted forcefully. This looks much more structurally sound, is NOT ugly at all, and I think I might give it a try.
    edited September 2017 Solikhassettirelandpeterhartcoolfactorddawson100RacerhomieXwatto_cobradjkfisher
  • Reply 4 of 21
    lkrupp said:
    eyekey said:
    amarkap said:
    I have the Apple designed dock and I've always been worried about breaking off the Lightening connector or damaging the iPhones Lightening socket if the iPhone was grabbed or twisted forcefully. This looks much more structurally sound, is NOT ugly at all, and I think I might give it a try.
    Same here, a robust and well designed thing I am seriously going to try out.
    edited September 2017 Solicoolfactorwatto_cobradjkfisher
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I'm not gluing anything to my work surface. Pass.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    gak_pdxgak_pdx Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    woodworks said:
    Their "nano pad" doesn't use glue - it's an elastomer with a porous structure that acts like micro suction cups. 
    woodworksirelandcoolfactorchasmwatto_cobratofino
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I have been using a Sarvi Dock for a couple of years and love it. I have one in black and one in white. It looks a bit more stylish to me than this Elevation Dock. https://www.sarvidesigns.com
  • Reply 8 of 21
    tenchi211 said:
    I have been using a Sarvi Dock for a couple of years and love it. I have one in black and one in white. It looks a bit more stylish to me than this Elevation Dock. https://www.sarvidesigns.com
    Checked this one out and it's very different. Also for any manufacturer phone, not just Apple's. I don't like how the charging connector sticks out/up so far...looks much easier to break off than the new one from Elevation Labs here and the Dock4's style is more simplistic than the giant S shaped whatever that is from Sarvi.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 9 of 21
    woodworks said:

That was my concern. At first, I thought they had a weighed design, which I thought was great. Then I saw them sticking it to the desk, and I thought "uh oh", but if they do have a suction-cup design, instead of a glue, then that's great!

• Reply 10 of 21
    peterhart said:
    tenchi211 said:
    Checked this one out and it's very different. Also for any manufacturer phone, not just Apple's. I don't like how the charging connector sticks out/up so far...looks much easier to break off than the new one from Elevation Labs here and the Dock4's style is more simplistic than the giant S shaped whatever that is from Sarvi.
    The charging connector is adjustable when you run it through the bottom of the dock. You can raise or lower it to suit whatever phone you use. I understand how you feel concerning the style though. It doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might not be for everyone.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Not really a fan of the radical departure from their original docks, which were machined out of aluminum, matched Apple products pretty well, and had a clean design. By contrast, this new one looks very "third party" because of its silicon design and the decision to slap their logo front and center. I hate it when companies do this, btw. Unless you're pushing your brand as a status symbol of some sort, don't put the logo in super obvious places...

Also, it's way way way too over engineered. I understand where they are coming from, and its hard to create a one-size fits all design for iPhones and iPads that constantly seem to change dimensions every year, but sometimes less is more.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 12 of 21
    This is absolutely a nice dock.

However, I use a simple dock, stuck to my desk with padded, double sided tape. And it's perfect.

So this dock does indeed seem a little over engineered to me...
  • Reply 13 of 21
    If the new phone has wireless charging as everyone says it will. This is now useless for iPhone because no wireless dock has this problem. Just saying

Yes I understand not everyone has the newest phones which I agree. However, people who don’t continuously upgrade their devices also don’t typically buy something they don’t need for $60 because if they have had their phone for a year or 5 without a dock.... there probably not buying one.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    If it uses suction cups rather than adhesive does that mean it's repositionable? Or is the suction part single use?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    I like it ,but right now I already own the Just Mobile Alubolt Dock. I might get this in the future. Does anyone recommend this?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    This is absolutely a nice dock.

However, I use a simple dock, stuck to my desk with padded, double sided tape. And it's perfect.

So this dock does indeed seem a little over engineered to me...
    Unless you have a desk with a glass or metal surface using double sided tape is either the tape is going to rip the finish off your desk when you want to move/remove the dock or if it doesn’t, isn’t going to be strong enough to not come off the desk half of the time you pull your phone up to remove it from be dock.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    If the new phone has wireless charging as everyone says it will. This is now useless for iPhone because no wireless dock has this problem. Just saying

Yes I understand not everyone has the newest phones which I agree. However, people who don’t continuously upgrade their devices also don’t typically buy something they don’t need for $60 because if they have had their phone for a year or 5 without a dock.... there probably not buying one.
    Depends. Wireless charging is usually slower than standard charging.  This is fine for when my phone is sitting on my nightstand charging while I sleep so it has plenty of time. However during the day I’m heavily using my phone while at my desk so I’d rather dock and undock it to get the quickest possible charge.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Very creative, well thought out and a great price point. My guess is that most of the negative comments are from folks that have never designed anything in there life, nor have they ever brought anything to the market place.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Best stand I found was a simple piece of machined metal that you could thread a lightning cable through.  I have 3 in the house and they were only ~$25.  Simple design and will last as long as the lightning cable is used in the iPhone.
    Unfortunately I can remember the name and the manufacturer did not put a logo on it.
    The Apple stand is a very similar design but came out a few years later.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Way too expensive for what you get and what functionality it provides. Pass for me