Google said to be eyeing purchase of 'Pixel 2' manufacturer HTC's smartphone division to c...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    sog35 said:
    LOLOOOOOOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLOLOL!!!

These idiots didn't learn their lesson from Moto?

2025 - google buys Samsung.
    LOL
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Dracarys said:
    They're looking to buy HTC because HTC is struggling and because of Google's new ambitions to be in control of their own hardware this would be a good strategic move. This really has nothing to do with the iPhone 8.
    That's not a "new ambition."
    When they sell off the sad rotting corpse of HTC 18 months later, you-know-who will post that they only bought it for the patents, and praise Google for how strategic they were.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
    sog35 said:

I understand what you're saying but this would be ridiculous because Samsung is so so big that they account for 20% of the Korean Stock Exchange and are responsible of 15% of South Korea's GDP.  
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    I looked at a Pixel and found that it was the same price as the iPhone 7.
    I wonder how many they actually sold at that price?
    Only around 1.5M IIRC from reading. Hobby numbers.
    probably half of that was Google employees

Ya, that's a really sad number. Apple sells that many iPhones in what, a hour at launch? Android has been marketed as the CHEAP Phones. That was Google Nexus Line of phones. Cheap! There's no money in cheap phones. Apple is making over 90% of the Profits, Samesung makes most of the rest and that's from their S and Note series phones, not all the cheap to mid range phones they also sell. Do the math, there's very little money to split between everyone else and some have to be losing money.

So Google's answer is to copy the iPhone, both in looks and price. The Pixel looks like a iPhone clone and it's priced the same and look what happened. Few people wanted to pay iPhone prices for a iPhone Clone, when they could just get a iPhone.

I don't see how buying HTC is going to help them. HTC is in the tank. Google can't sell Pixel phones. How does buying HTC and still having HTC make them, though under Google change anything?

Rumor is they're now going to make AirPod clones. I can't wait for the fandroid excuses on that. How it's not copying and that they aren't ugly. I'm pretty sure they're not going to work anywhere like Apple's but the same old way all the other completely wireless headphones work which is not as good.

Google see's all this money coming in for Apple and making most of the profits and think they can get some of that. Still just another Android phone in a flood of cheap Android phones. They've been trying to be more like Apple, but it still hasn't paid off for them.
    Oh, geez, things are hardly as dire as you seem to think at Google.  Any company sitting on $100B in cash thereabouts should be able to weather a few rough seas. 
    And no one is reporting Google is cloning Airpods. Don't mistake building a Google-assistant enabled headset as copying anything Apple did with Airpods. From limited reports so far they are very different products with very different capabilities. 
    I was wondering how long you'd hold out. :-)

edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    I  can't decide if this is a good move or a last desperate thow of the dice by Google to keep relevant in the Smartphone market.
    Android having 80% of the world wide marketshare must be seen as irrelevant, isn't it.

• Reply 26 of 38
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:

Ya, that's a really sad number. Apple sells that many iPhones in what, a hour at launch? Android has been marketed as the CHEAP Phones. That was Google Nexus Line of phones. Cheap! There's no money in cheap phones. Apple is making over 90% of the Profits, Samesung makes most of the rest and that's from their S and Note series phones, not all the cheap to mid range phones they also sell. Do the math, there's very little money to split between everyone else and some have to be losing money.

So Google's answer is to copy the iPhone, both in looks and price. The Pixel looks like a iPhone clone and it's priced the same and look what happened. Few people wanted to pay iPhone prices for a iPhone Clone, when they could just get a iPhone.

I don't see how buying HTC is going to help them. HTC is in the tank. Google can't sell Pixel phones. How does buying HTC and still having HTC make them, though under Google change anything?

Rumor is they're now going to make AirPod clones. I can't wait for the fandroid excuses on that. How it's not copying and that they aren't ugly. I'm pretty sure they're not going to work anywhere like Apple's but the same old way all the other completely wireless headphones work which is not as good.

Google see's all this money coming in for Apple and making most of the profits and think they can get some of that. Still just another Android phone in a flood of cheap Android phones. They've been trying to be more like Apple, but it still hasn't paid off for them.
    Apple's key product is the iPhone, being the device that drives all profit generation. Apple has developed a lot of business around the iPhone (like the App store) to increases the impact/profit of the iPhone business. Nice.
    Google's key product is search, being the service that drives all profit generation.  Google has developed a lot of business around Google search (like Android) to increase the impact/revenue of its search business. Nice.
    Why are there so many people on this forum having no difficulties to understand the strategy of Apple but are giving unfounded comments about the strategy of Google, clearly not understanding this strategy? 
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Poor htc
  • Reply 28 of 38
    I don’t see anything in the body of the story that matches the headline ( that Google is doing this to counter iPhone 8). 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 29 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    jbdragon said:
    . Apple is making over 90% of the Profits, Samesung makes most of the rest and that's from their S and Note series phones, not all the cheap to mid range phones they also sell. 
    Does anyone have any up to date information on the industry profit that Apple takes?

A couple of months ago I read an article that made a passing reference to this and set the percentage at 80%. 

I raised an eyebrow but didn't look further as it's not something that really interests me but a more than 10% drop in a year - if correct - seems like a lot.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 30 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    . Apple is making over 90% of the Profits, Samesung makes most of the rest and that's from their S and Note series phones, not all the cheap to mid range phones they also sell. 
    Does anyone have any up to date information on the industry profit that Apple takes?

A couple of months ago I read an article that made a passing reference to this and set the percentage at 80%. 

I raised an eyebrow but didn't look further as it's not something that really interests me but a more than 10% drop in a year - if correct - seems like a lot.
    Good memory. Yes Apple managed 79% of global smartphone profits last year. That's according to the same source that gave Apple a projected 90% the year before that, Strategy Analytics. For those who love comparisons Samsung's share was a bit over 14% last year.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 31 of 38
    LukeCage said:
    sog35 said:

I understand what you're saying but this would be ridiculous because Samsung is so so big that they account for 20% of the Korean Stock Exchange and are responsible of 15% of South Korea's GDP.  
    Samsung mobile is not the same as the whole Samsung conglomerate 
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:

Oh, geez, things are hardly as dire as you seem to think at Google.  Any company sitting on $100B in cash thereabouts should be able to weather a few rough seas. 
    And no one is reporting Google is cloning Airpods. Don't mistake building a Google-assistant enabled headset as copying anything Apple did with Airpods. From limited reports so far they are very different products with very different capabilities. 
    I was wondering how long you'd hold out. :-)

I really try sometimes but gosh, so much melodrama from a handful of folks that just want to see something so badly that they get blinded by their wishing.
    edited September 2017 avon b7
  • Reply 33 of 38
    I'm avoiding google products like the plague now that Google is pulling the plug on thousands of YouTube accounts including their emails FOR NO REASON other than a few anonymous SJWs complaints.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    cropr said:
    I  can't decide if this is a good move or a last desperate thow of the dice by Google to keep relevant in the Smartphone market.
    Android having 80% of the world wide marketshare must be seen as irrelevant, isn't it.

Does that include all 5000 forks of Android or just Android Nougat?
  • Reply 35 of 38
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    gatorguy said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:

Good memory. Yes Apple managed 79% of global smartphone profits last year. That's according to the same source that gave Apple a projected 90% the year before that, Strategy Analytics. For those who love comparisons Samsung's share was a bit over 14% last year.
    So, leaving aside Apple and Samsung, the collective share for everyone else is 5%, and Samsung has to ship a lot more smartphones than Apple to even make that 14%.

Even then, iPhones share of Apple's revenue is down around 60%; hardly the one trick pony that some here seem to portray. Needless to say, years of above 80% profit share are signs of doom for Apple. 

Oh, and Avon B7 is, yet again, acting the concern troll, hence, why I keep him blocked.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:

So, leaving aside Apple and Samsung, the collective share for everyone else is 5%, and Samsung has to ship a lot more smartphones than Apple to even make that 14%.

Even then, iPhones share of Apple's revenue is down around 60%; hardly the one trick pony that some here seem to portray. Needless to say, years of above 80% profit share are signs of doom for Apple. 

Oh, and Avon B7 is, yet again, acting the concern troll, hence, why I keep him blocked.
    Yes. You've made it public - more than once, LOL.

Did you really need to bold it this time?

What's the point?

An over 90% figure down to 79% in one year is a newsworthy drop but like I said, I really don't care. I only mentioned it because... well I already said why.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    With trading halted today on HTC a "material" announcement is expected tomorrow. There was speculation Google may in fact be buying HTC outright, but more recent leaks suggest Google will acquire "certain hardware engineering assets" while HTC retains the branding. There's also apparently interest in Vive. 

By tomorrow afternoon things should be much clearer.